Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 111 Federal St. | Formerly Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

Trinity new renderings looks like something from Inception or Willy Wonka World.

Lendlease Tower looks like its electrified--at night.

If anyone from Trinity is reading this: I'm embarrassed FOR you.

Lendlease rocks my world. Boston could use something modern and bold, and this is the only one IMHO.

The rest are fine/a varying degree of "meh."

LendLease looks cool now but I doubt it will age well. In thirty years people will look at it the way they look at PoMo now.

That HYM design is very sexy.

I would have to go with (a less green) Accordia as my top choice here, and, going to go a bit different for number two - I actually kind of dig Millenniums the more I look at it. Sure, its kind of boring, but I like the ground level, and I kind of diff how it plays off the actual Millennium Tower. While I don't think it really works on its own, I think the pair of them work together pretty well. Plus, they have proven themselves to be able to deliver, and deliver big with the existing Millennium Tower.

I used to think millennium was too fat, too close to neighboring buildings. But now I'm thinking since it's so tall the fat part doesn't matter as much. and the closeness to other buildings sort of invokes Boston housing the way everything is right up against each other. The ground level is amazing. And they can deliver. So I guess at the end of the day it's growing on me.

Accordia is still my fave - I like the green. It's prob the one color we don't have.

Last edited:

I like the green. It's prob the one color we don't have.

Anything to offset the disproportionate amount of '70's brown in the skyline.
Accordia is my pick, but similar to others on here, I would tone down the vegetation and choose a milder green.

Lendlease looks like a dick that got caught in a spiderweb.

Okay

I'm now convinced that it will in all likelihood be the Millenium Partners who will win

One reason why they will -- Mayor Mahty will be hosing the Being to Boston shuttle -- er Climate Greeny errr something event next year -- this will bring people from all over the planet to talk about Sustainability -- someone let Millenium in on the deal they have several pages devoted to their Greenness exceeding the LEED Platinum standards -- Mayah Mahty would low to crow about the new tower just getting underway

One reason why they should win -- the Great Hall -- its the only unique idea any of the proposers have -- really innovative

A number of years ago I participated in conceptualizing exercise for the Greenway -- my group proposed a Glass & Titanium version of Quincy Market -- with the tongue-planted-firmly-in-the-cheek-name of Tommy's Fleece Hall

But the key idea was anyone . group could use the hall just pay for the utilities [if you used any] use your cell phone to make the arrangements

Finally we know that Millennium has delivered in the past and can in the future

Millennium's lower level is very good but, their tower effing blows.

Millenium has all the money. If they win the fix is in.

i know it isn't fair to say that.... it's just that i would have a hard time not believing it is so.

The majority of these proposals are fat, grotesque towers like the ones that already make up our chunky skyline, albeit a bit taller... but also a bit fatter. Lendlease is the only proposal I could live with, aesthetically. HYM's tower is nice but I hate their inefficient land swap proposal. It takes two prime tower parcels off the market with one tower.

Also, WTF happened to Accordia's original proposal? Their current one sucks.

After Accordias original proposal was scrapped, they all suck now. At this point its just picking which ones sucks the least.

Everybody has a different opinion and I personally hate Lendlease...Trinity goes without saying. I personally don't want a huge made in China dildo covered in cobwebs towering over Boston, but thats just me. I can live with Millennium even though its very average. The tower is good enough and I love the public space. We always complain these are gated communities for the rich and Millennium and Accordia will actually give something back to the public. I like Accordias (besides the green) the best but the original shit on the current version IMO. Right now its just about which one sucks the least, but a few of them bring a lot more to the table other than skyline presence which I can live with because 1 Bromfield will be right there too. If 1 Bromfield gets built there will be a trio of towers instead of just 1 or 2 so it will be more about the collective presence than the individual.

After Accordias original proposal was scrapped, they all suck now. At this point its just picking which ones sucks the least.

Everybody has a different opinion and I personally hate Lendlease...Trinity goes without saying. I personally don't want a huge made in China dildo covered in cobwebs towering over Boston, but thats just me. I can live with Millennium even though its very average. The tower is good enough and I love the public space. We always complain these are gated communities for the rich and Millennium and Accordia will actually give something back to the public. I like Accordias (besides the green) the best but the original shit on the current version IMO. Right now its just about which one sucks the least, but a few of them bring a lot more to the table other than skyline presence which I can live with because 1 Bromfield will be right there too. If 1 Bromfield gets built there will be a trio of towers instead of just 1 or 2 so it will be more about the collective presence than the individual.
The phallic stuff, I don't get it. I think if someone wants to look at at a tall building and see a penis, they'll see a penis. Just like if someone wants to look at something like a stadium and see a vagina, they will see a vagina. It's all in the eye of the beholder. This seems to me an individual thing.

The phallic stuff, I don't get it. I think if someone wants to look at at a tall building and see a penis, they'll see a...

i've thought this as well.

Some of garbage the BRA has allowed through recently gives pause; It sucks the permanent economy is so bad that our market doesn't support higher quality buildings. We got it a few times. Compare the cladding of the JHT or Seagram bldg (375 Park Avenue) to 101 Huntington or Avalon Tower. Or the Hotel St George (Brooklyn Heights) to The Clarendon or Back Bay Station renders. We can replace Suffolk courthouse with something great (like Hotel St George) when the time comes – but, will we?

i wish the BRA would issue the following edict: "all you sons of bitches have 30 days to come up with better designs. right now, Accordia's proposal is in the lead, but we're not building that."

i've come over to Transnational's twin towers and the sheer size of the project. And despite being a bit bland and short of it's potential for height it's either Transnational or Accordia.

HYM's St Anthony's Shrine propuesta + 111 Fed Twin Towers can all exist together in perpetuity. Build the Friars new home inside an additional skyscraper.

Last edited:

The phallic stuff, I don't get it. I think if someone wants to look at at a tall building and see a penis, they'll see a penis. Just like if someone wants to look at something like a stadium and see a vagina, they will see a vagina. It's all in the eye of the beholder. This seems to me an individual thing.

Lol ok bro cuz accordias stacked boxes definitely does too right? Fuck outta here. It was a joke relax. The rest of the paragraph I wrote about public space and the way this will fit with the other 2 towers in the area was the entire point, not the single part you decided to pick out. If you want to quote me and respond, respond to that part as it contrbutes to the discussion of this development. I dont need some anonymous internet tough guy trying to shit talk me on a public forum about a comment that multiple people said well before I did. Plus that was not the point at all the point of the post was that all of the proposals are weak now so at this point its about which benefits the city more than the rest. Here we go again as usual, trying to talk about the proposals and get dragged off topic, by a mod no less.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited:

Im just gonna share my older Accordia post since there werent many new renders in the new PDF.

Its also annoying how the developers show aerial shots that will never be seen by anybody so I modified some pictures that posters on here took to show how Millennium will look to the everyday person that does not own a helicopter. Accordia showed realistic massing models above, but I figured I would do the same for millennium.

Last edited:

That "anonymous internet tough guy" is the owner of the site, bro.

Back