Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

If I was Midwood I would consider another location in the city. They have no shot with the way the politics are working.

It's either near Dalton or near GCG.

If I was Midwood I would consider another location in the city. They have no shot with the way the politics are working.

It's either near Dalton or near GCG.

You are probably right, but they have a little sunk cost issue. They purchased all the properties on Bromfield Street with the intention of developing something big there, so they probably overpaid if they cannot build something big. Makes it hard to walk away.

You are probably right, but they have a little sunk cost issue. They purchased all the properties on Bromfield Street with the intention of developing something big there, so they probably overpaid if they cannot build something big. Makes it hard to walk away.

This is a very good point. Time for them to get creative with the architecture (hey anything can be better than their original proposal.)

Do we have the ability to analyze height to shadow here? It's an awkward area of DX, but it's even closer to the common than Millennium. I realize we're on the 115 thread but this does relate to the projects. Millennium has just bullied Midwood BADLY with the help of Walsh.

The comment period on this proposal ends a week from today, you can submit your comments online here: http://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/115-winthrop-square
Notable because this is an extension of the public comment period.

Pardon for the thread bump. i was gonna post this in the 'project x' but, a link to the public comments would be great...... so,

does anyone have a link to the public comments?

or are they not yet published?

Love the 2nd comment from "taxpayer."

Somehow my comment didn't make it in there at all, and yet I saw some of the same ones repeated 10-20 times. I'm very disappointed that I was ignored.

Edit: I sent another email to Casey Hines and Jonathan Greeley, expressing the above sentiment for their complete lack of acknowledgement.

Last edited:

Somehow my comment didn't make it in there at all, and yet I saw some of the same ones repeated 10-20 times. I'm very disappointed that I was ignored.

Clearly the Friends of the Public Garden had a cut and paste letter "writing" orgy on this one.

Edit: I sent another email to Casey Hines and Jonathan Greeley, expressing the above sentiment for their complete lack of acknowledgement.

Are you sure you checked all the .PDFs? They've been adding more of them, from what I can tell...

Are you sure you checked all the .PDFs? They've been adding more of them, from what I can tell...

I hadn't, but I have now looked at "A-Z" as well as "Additional" to no avail. Frankly, it's really annoying to scroll through and see the exact same letter a trillion times (with different signatures) yet I am apparently unable to make the cut or even receive an acknowledgement of receiving my emails. It feels like I wasted my time.

Last edited:

I hadn't, but I have now looked at "A-Z" as well as "Additional" to no avail. Frankly, it's really annoying to scroll through and see the exact same letter a trillion times (with different signatures) yet I am apparently unable to make the cut or even receive an acknowledgement of receiving my emails. It feels like I wasted my time.

Just throwing this out there as a theory....are you a city resident? Is a city agency able to enter comments into the public record from somebody who isn't a city resident or doesn't have a specific financial or legal stake in the project?

Just throwing this out there as a theory....are you a city resident? Is a city agency able to enter comments into the public record from somebody who isn't a city resident or doesn't have a specific financial or legal stake in the project?

I am not a city resident. It's a shame my opinion apparently doesn't matter when I have spent my life within spitting distance of the place and regularly spend my time and money in the city.

Ok it turns out that Christopher Tracy's auto-message (he left the BPDA) didn't include the correct email address for Casey Hines. Her email is: casey.a.hines@boston.gov

She responded to me personally and cleared it up that the comment hadn't reached her before, but will be added to the public comments section. I'm relieved, even if she doesn't add it, that it was able to get in front of the decision makers.

I am not a city resident. It's a shame my opinion apparently doesn't matter when I have spent my life within spitting distance of the place and regularly spend my time and money in the city.

If it makes you feel better, I was inspired by your message (that you posted on aB) and submitted a similar one (albeit much shorter, but with similar themes), and I'm a city resident...

Unfortunately, many of us who support this tower apparently don't have as much free time as the xyz garden club members who canvassed (just a guess, admittedly unsupported)

Does anyone know what height the renders were modeled up to...725 or 750? Either way the 775' number seems to be way taller than what has been shown so far.

Does anyone know what height the renders were modeled up to...725 or 750? Either way the 775' number seems to be way taller than what has been shown so far.

I think 775 is the magic number. :cool:

I just wonder what it will look like at that height because the renders look way shorter than that.

I think 775 is the magic number. :cool:

Not according to MassPort's opposition letter... they are far from cool with the proposed 775'. And unlike the chorus of interchangeable nays (as well as interchangeable yeahs, it looks like a 50-50 split, pro vs. con) from various residents, the MassPort opposition letter actually matters.

Back