Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Where is this "amazing design" everyone keeps talking about? They won the development rights because they blew everyone else away with their bid. Is that not a fact?

Ok, but it was classy and could hold it's own. And yes, they won it with the money. My point tho was that it's seems like a strategy to show something much better up front, tear everyone's expectations down (current design), so they can then make it a little better to end up somewhere in the middle. And everyone would feel as if we dodged a bullet cause we didn't (hopefully don't) end up with the clown of a building.

Ok, but it was classy and could hold it's own. And yes, they won it with the money. My point tho was that it's seems like a strategy to show something much better up front, tear everyone's expectations down (current design), so they can then make it a little better to end up somewhere in the middle. And everyone would feel as if we dodged a bullet cause we didn't (hopefully don't) end up with the clown of a building.

Was it really, though? It seemed to be middle of the pack at best as a building, which seemed OK given the huge amount of money they were pledging - even if it didn't include requirements like an observation deck. Also, they did have to considerably reduce height due to the FAA, which would mean a redesign of the building. One could argue (pretty easily, to be honest), though, that all the parties had to have been aware of the FAA limit as it had come up during Menino's push for a 1000' there, unless the BPDA conveniently forgot about it when they changed names.

Isnt the new proposal under the FAA limit though? Another one of the things that make 0 sense here.

^^Both sections of the current proposal are safely within the limit/s. But not by much. More height probably would require spending some money and possible delays. i think they should go for it, and have it so they can add height during construction. Unlikely–thanks to the shadow police. So, it was "691', we got a deal?" With them out of the way, they can get on with things.

Midwood asked and got an exact height determination for each corner of 1 Bromfield; 710' at the highest point. Their proposal reaches within a couple of feet of the determined height.

MT is also close to the FAA limit. With a formal Massport study, maybe they could have added 1 or 2 floors. It never came up because they negotiated for 625' (occupied) height with Menino to fill the hole, pay for (i assume) updating the Burnham Bldg, and to offset risk.

Menino probably whispered to himself, "I'm leaving office. Ok, let's do it."

The City hadn't built hardly anything over 400' since Ray Flynn was in office. The building boom was barely getting started.

Last edited:

Money talks.

They know they're capable of something better than this. The returns are what they care about most though. I personally think those returns will be higher if they build something beautiful, nicer than 1 Dalton. A market moving tower.

Don't cheap out Millennium. Please. This last render is dog s%it.

Last edited:

Well; might not be all bad (96% bad?) Ostensibly, would allow the property to be sold to MP so they can move forward with site prep almost immediately–while they (hopefully) find a way to improve the design.

http://boston.siretechnologies.com/sirepubbra/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=409&doctype=AGENDA

MINUTES/SCHEDULING

3. Request authorization to schedule a Public Hearing on April 12, 2018 at 5:30 p.m. or at a date and time to be determined by the Director, to consider the Suffolk University Institutional Master Plan Amendment to lease 1047 Commonwealth Avenue in Allston for student housing.

4. Request authorization to schedule a Public Hearing on April 12, 2018 at 5:40 p.m. or at a date and time to be determined by the Director, to consider the Development Plan for Planned Development Area No. 117, 115 Winthrop Square Redevelopment located at 115 Federal Street, Downtown; and, to consider the 115 Winthrop Square project as a Development Impact Project.

5. Request authorization to schedule a Public Hearing on April 12, 2018 at 5:50 p.m. or at a date and time to be determined by the Director, to consider the Amended and Restated Development Plan for Planned Development Area No. 103, Parcel 9-Haymarket Hotel; and, to consider the Second Notice of Project Change.

6. Request authorization to schedule a Public Hearing on April 12, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. or at a date and time to be determined by the Director, to consider the Second Amendment to the Development Plan for Harrison Commons and Harrison Court within Planned Development Area No. 59 in connection with 771 Harrison Avenue also known as the Cosmopolitan in the South End Urban Renewal Area.

7. Request authorization to schedule a Public Hearing on April 12, 2018 at 6:10 p.m. or at a date and time to be determined by the Director, to consider the proposed 135 Morrissey Boulevard project in Dorchester as a Development Impact Project.

8. Request authorization to schedule a Public Hearing on April 12, 2018 at 6:20 p.m. or at a date and time to be determined by the Director, to consider the proposed 1241 Boylston Street project in Fenway as a Development Impact Project.

I know its not economically feasable but heres what a thin 700 footer looks like going up in NYC vs our fatty mcfatfat.

6ColumbusCircleRENDERING2-777x1008.jpg

65 Martha Rd would be very slim – if it were to get a tall proposal.

But if they try and do another 450' turd, i'm gonna be pissed.

I know its not economically feasable but heres what a thin 700 footer looks like going up in NYC vs our fatty mcfatfat.

6ColumbusCircleRENDERING2-777x1008.jpg

I know engineers know everything (RIP FIU victims) , but I wouldn't feel comfortable within 10 blocks of that thing.

Welcome to the game most developers and their teams play (which I think is unethical) ... show sexy unrealistic stuff up front ... then walk it back over time until someone stops you, draw, build, sell. Rince and repeat.

cca

Very well spoken.

Wow...their "issues" list sounds as if someone reads aB:
1) "building massing"
2) "expression of verticality"
3) "presence of great hall"
4) "skyline identity"

Thanks for posting, Equilibria...first impression: huge improvement (even better than pnf, height change aside).

The chamfered corners of the main tower and the pinstripe approach are brilliant. Those chamfered corners will make the tower look narrower than it is.

OMG!! Looks AMAZING!!! WOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I kind of prefer the columns at street level otherwise an improvement I think.

This simply looks far cleaner, sleeker, and more elegant. The other one would have been a blight on the skyline.

Last edited:

Back