Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

giphy.gif

We all know that they put up a strawman with the crappy design in order to eventually get us here, but we've been battered enough to think we deserve it.

Let us enjoy this.

That glass walkway to the upper residential units in the side tower is going to be pretty neat

Globe;

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...re-dramatic/svdhvgaLSmOPxxeLvoBHEK/story.html

I'm not just saying this out of relief... This is stunning. I have never seen anything like this. There are now so many distinct features of this building, and they are all cohesive. This is iconic.

Say we meet half way! We have a new 6th tallest for the current cycle.

Can always count on Beton Brut for a measured response.

This is as good as we've seen in Boston, but I'd stop short of "iconic". Which is fine; I like that this is a younger relative of MT instead of some freak thing. Nothing wrong with restraint.

approved, +/- construction, topped, +/- cladding or completed;
*(year = year project completed, constr = under construction).

black ink denotes not yet u/c.....

1. 1 Dalton Street/Four Seasons/Back Bay 61 stories 742' (42nd level)

2. 115 Winthrop Sq Tower #1/Downtown 52 Stories 691' (site prep).

3. Millennium Tower/Downtown Crossing 60 stories 685' (2016)

4. South Station Tower; 51 stories 677' (construction 2018)

5. Govt Center office tower/Downtown 43 stories + tall mech screen 647' tip (construction 2018)

6. 115 Winthrop Sq Tower #2/Downtown 45 Stories 611' (site prep).

7. Govt Center residential tower/Downtown 45 stories 547' (constr)

8. *Air Rights Parcel 15 Tower #1/Back Bay/Weiner Ventures w/ Prudential 34 Stories stories 544' (approved March 15, 2018)

9. TD Garden office tower/West End 525,000 sq ft ~21 stories over the podium ~505' rooftip (constr).

10. Residential tower on MIT's 10 acre Volpe site 30 stories 500'

11. TD Garden resident tower/West End 45 stories 496' (8th level)

12. Garden Garage Tower/West End 44 stories 485' (garage demo began April 10th, 2018)

13. "Avalon North Station/West End 38 stories 449' (2016)

14. 40 Trinity Place/Back Bay 33 stories 446' (construction 2018??)

15. Atlantic Wharf 32 stories 436' (2011)

16. Back Bay Station tower #1 (residences) 34 stories ~413' (approved Nov 16, 2017)

17. The Huntington/Fenway 32 stories 400' (approved Dec 14, 2017)

18. 145 Broadway resident tower/Kendall Sq/Cambridge 33 Stories 395' (site prep)

19. *Back Bay Station tower #2 (offices) 24 stories 390' (approved Nov 16, 2017)

20. 380 Stewart Street/JHT #3/Back Bay 26 stories 390' (approved 11 Nov 2015)

21. 260-290 Main Street/Kendall Sq/Cambridge SOMA Building 4/ Dorm Tower 28 stories 381' (constr)

22. DOT Research tower on MIT's Volpe Sq development site ~380'

23. The Pierce/Fenway 30 stories 378' (2018)

Holy shit! Booooooston. What the hell just happened? It literally went alllllll over the place n then somehow comes out with the best proposal last? Wtf. When has the end result ever been the best by far? They better keep this now and not let this be another tease. If this gets built as is this is no joke. I like how they incorporated all 3 of the most recent designs and it came out incredible and they all somehow worked together to make the best proposal yet. KEEP THIS! BUILD NOW before it changes again.

The absolute best part is they brought back the old crown with the v cuts that makes it literally look like a crown. When this was lit up in the old renders it looked amazing. This is amazing.

One of the slides specifically says expression of verticality- they get it. Its about time.

This is certainly better than before, and probably "good enough for Boston," but suggesting that this is architecture worthy of compare to what's happening in the Hudson Yards is an ambitious overreach.

Speaking more practically, is that a garage door next to the Federal Street entrance?

It's beneficial to press for better design, but NYC is always going to be an unfair comparison.

Yay they fixed it!!!! I was about to give up all hope, but holy crap I don't know where they pulled this out of but I love it!

It's beneficial to press for better design, but NYC is always going to be an unfair comparison.

No doubt.

On the upside, our orchestras and concert venues are better than theirs by many miles. So's our ballclub and ballpark (as well as our overall sports culture).

That's slick! Get on it. I won't feel depressed everyday walking by there now.

The tan portion with the multistory window frames is the only part I'd wish to see excised from the design. The rest is great.

Hudson Yards from this past weekend, there is no comparison, New York is a city unto itself! Boston, however, might not have the skyline, the population, but it surely is one powerhouse of education, finance, tech, pharma, culture and an urban energy that most cities would kill to have!

I would say this is iconic. That crown is literally going to look like a crown. When its lit up at night especially its going to look amazing like the old renders showed. Its the crown of doentown Boston literally and it looks amazing, thats iconic. Once it becomes the symbol of the city especially. Oh yea and pin stripes are always classy when done right.

The tan portion with the multistory window frames is the only part I'd wish to see excised from the design.

I'm also unhappy to note its persistent and unwelcome presence in this scheme. It's a disruptive influence to an otherwise acceptable design. The "government cheese" coloration is awful; it would only be tolerable if the cladding were real limestone. Same goes for the buff-colored cladding around the Federal Street entrance - stone, please, not Alucobond.

Sure Millennium Partners went a little bit sideways and gave us a design that tilted too far from the original plans, but they have certainly straightened their proposal out in Boston! Must have involved some foundational changes with the design team.

Say we meet half way! We have a new 6th tallest for the current cycle.

This is definitely not right. It's still technically just 1 building. It does a nice enough job giving off the illusion of being 2, but it's still just 1. The 1 building will be our city's 4th tallest.

it's way better than what was briefly proposed. i still think it's kinda ugly.

millenium offered the most $ and that's why they "won" and that's fine, but of all the proposals, theirs was the most "meh" and still is.

all that said, much better and i'll be happy if this goes up as-is.

I'm also unhappy to note its persistent and unwelcome presence in this scheme. It's a disruptive influence to an otherwise acceptable design. The "government cheese" coloration is awful; it would only be tolerable if the cladding were real limestone. Same goes for the buff-colored cladding around the Federal Street entrance - stone, please, not Alucobond.

Cohesiveness is not synonymous with boring. The misconception among architects that a design needs to have a jarring - and often exhausted - motif bolted-on to spice things up is detrimental to the finished product.

This is certainly better than before, and probably "good enough for Boston," but suggesting that this is architecture worthy of compare to what's happening in the Hudson Yards is an ambitious overreach.

Speaking more practically, is that a garage door next to the Federal Street entrance?
100%

It's a step up from Millennium IMHO and the crown gives it character but it's still 691 feet. Enough to appease the FAA but not enough for the NIMBYs. And while I enjoy it's character, to say that this will be the next jewel is a bit of a stretch.

It's definitely a start...

Back