Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

I take it, then, that you missed the BPDA presentation where the name was changed from Great Hall to Big Hall?

Missed it? No.

In denial? Yes.

I had written, "Now, if only it could be big and great" [italics added]. In light of your reminder, I now appreciate that one of my two wishes came true.

Missed it? No.

In denial? Yes.

I had written, "Now, if only it could be big and great" [italics added]. In light of your reminder, I now appreciate that one of my two wishes came true.

Oh I was absolutely making a joke based on your post. Sorry that wasn't clear! 😅

I'm pretty sure it's still branded as "the great hall".

20210324_152412.jpg
20210324_152424.jpg
20210324_152335.jpg
20210324_152436.jpg
20210324_152645.jpg
20210324_152659.jpg

This thing is big up close. Also as someone who has taken a few courses in concrete design, the slanting beams and zig zag floors seem like complicated and expensive features. Looks like its solidly in the cookie cutter identical floor plate portion now.

Last edited:
Big Lower Manhattan/NY Financial District vibes in the first few photos, if I'm being honest. Great shots! I haven't been able to see this (or really anything downtown) since COVID... looking forward to getting down there again soon.

What is the approximate weeks taken to construct one floor of this concrete building? Compared to concrete, steel can be about a 1 floor/week, right?

What is the approximate weeks taken to construct one floor of this concrete building? Compared to concrete, steel can be about a 1 floor/week, right?

They're adding about 1 floor per week. State Street seems to be *slightly* faster than this one. Also with steel, you can jump a couple floors and have more vertical steel reaching for the sky, as well as have a core well ahead of the steel itself. A few days ago State Street was at half 17, half 19, with the core at 28. Can't do that here. It's a methodical climb, 1 floor at a time.

The good news is once they hit around floor 28, the structure slims substantially so it might be able to go even faster from there.

They're adding about 1 floor per week. State Street seems to be *slightly* faster than this one. Also with steel, you can jump a couple floors and have more vertical steel reaching for the sky, as well as have a core well ahead of the steel itself. A few days ago State Street was at half 17, half 19, with the core at 28. Can't do that here. It's a methodical climb, 1 floor at a time.

The good news is once they hit around floor 28, the structure slims substantially so it might be able to go even faster from there.
That's really informative thanks! This one is going to really define the dense core of buildings in the Financial District. Excited for this one to rise!

This is such great dense infill.

Let's count how many urban fabric-destroying Downtown garages have been redeveloped into major towers or radically revamped for the better and/or are in the process of being redeveloped/radically revamped, over the past 30 years in Downtown:

DONE:

1.) Norman Leventhal Park and underground garage (was a City-owned garage), 1992.
2.) International Place (was Fort Hill Garage), 1992.
3.) 1 Lincoln Street (was a City-owned garage), 2003.
4.) 45 Province Street (was a privately-owned garage), 2009.
5.) Millennium Place (was a privately-owned surface lot), 2013.

UNDERWAY:

6.) This project (was a City-owned garage), 2017-2023 (projected)
7.) The Alcott (former privately-owned garage), summer 2021 opening
8.) The Sudbury/One Congress (garage being massively revamped) Sudbury done/One Congress done in 2022 (projected)

APPROVED:

9.) Dock Square Garage--BPDA green-lit project last December
10.) Motor Mart Garage--BPDA green-lit October 2019

PROPOSED:

11.) 125 Lincoln Street--revised proposal submitted last December
12.) Harbor Garage--under review
So....

a.) of the 6 done/underway, which is the most significant? which is the best?
b.) which of the 3 approved/proposed will get built?
c.) am I missing any?

Last edited:
Let's count how many urban fabric-destroying Downtown garages have been redeveloped into major towers or radically revamped for the better and/or are in the process of being redeveloped/radically revamped, over the past 30 years in Downtown:

DONE:

1.) Norman Leventhal Park and underground garage (was a City-owned garage), 1992.
2.) 1 Lincoln Street (was a City-owned garage), 2003.
3.) 45 Province Street (was a privately-owned garage), 2009.

UNDERWAY:

4.) This project (was a City-owned garage), 2017-2023 (projected)
5.) The Alcott (former privately-owned garage), summer 2021 opening
6.) The Sudbury/One Congress (garage being massively revamped) Sudbury done/One Congress done in 2022 (projected)

APPROVED:

7.) Dock Square Garage--BPDA green-lit project last December
8.) Motor Mart Garage--BPDA green-lit October 2019

PROPOSED:

9.) 125 Lincoln Street--revised proposal submitted last December

So....

c.) am I missing any?

Don't forget the Harbor Garage!

DONE:

2.) International Place (was Fort Hill Garage), 1992.
3.) 1 Lincoln Street (was a City-owned garage), 2003.
4.) 45 Province Street (was a privately-owned garage), 2009.
5.) Millennium Place (was a privately-owned surface lot), 2013.

UNDERWAY:

6.) This project (was a City-owned garage), 2017-2023 (projected)
7.) The Alcott (former privately-owned garage), summer 2021 opening
8.) The Sudbury/One Congress (garage being massively revamped) Sudbury done/One Congress done in 2022 (projected)

APPROVED:

9.) Dock Square Garage--BPDA green-lit project last December
10.) Motor Mart Garage--BPDA green-lit October 2019

PROPOSED:

11.) 125 Lincoln Street--revised proposal submitted last December
12.) Harbor Garage--under review
So....

c.) am I missing any?

You forgot the One Post Office Square garage

Last edited:

Back