Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

356E1AFE-D33A-4281-AFB0-F5A70E7673B7.jpeg

On residential towers they are pretty common. Interestingly it appears only the upper residential windows on this building are able to open, not the lower office half. Office windows usually cannot be opened, but its interesting to see this dichotomy on the same facade. During construction before the hvac is installed you see a lot of open windows, especially during the summer, but once the building is complete you only see a few here and there. They also blend in much better once the windows have curtains/furniture etc. The way it looks now with hundreds of open windows across the facade is only temporary.

Interesting that the office floors appear to have balconies but not the residential floors.

Interesting that the office floors appear to have balconies but not the residential floors.

I've heard the way you can price out balconies as amenities for offices is quite lucrative now, but can't really confirm that myself...

At the same time, those look rather small compared to a few others across the city.. not sure what their intended use is

A balcony where you'll work, near the cube where you normally work, is not going to lure me back into the office. But with the bloom officially off the rose with the millennial lure of 'a beer fridge, a dog washing station and sleep pods that no longer smell like farts', it's not entirely surprising the next big thing is...a balcony.

Another aspirational render, IMO. I worked in a midtown Manhattan high rise with a roof terrace (one of our floors was just above a step back so we had outdoor roof space. It was on the 23rd or 24th floor and for our space the building management and all sorts of people got involved. We had wind studies done and specific types of furniture (heavy stuff) was placed in specific locations - that we were not allowed to move. Like all caps "do not move the furniture - or else". It was that way because the wind up high can pick up a chair (like the ones in the render) and toss it over the side, sending it tumbling hundreds of feet to the ground.

It was that way because the wind up high can pick up a chair (like the ones in the render) and toss it over the side, sending it tumbling hundreds of feet to the ground.

I have no idea why they chose to show this with high chairs and a high table like that. The lady just to the right of 33 Arch looks like she could fall over the side at any second.

Another aspirational render, IMO. I worked in a midtown Manhattan high rise with a roof terrace (one of our floors was just above a step back so we had outdoor roof space. It was on the 23rd or 24th floor and for our space the building management and all sorts of people got involved. We had wind studies done and specific types of furniture (heavy stuff) was placed in specific locations - that we were not allowed to move. Like all caps "do not move the furniture - or else". It was that way because the wind up high can pick up a chair (like the ones in the render) and toss it over the side, sending it tumbling hundreds of feet to the ground.

At least I feel better now about my new MacBook being heavier than my previous one.

A balcony where you'll work, near the cube where you normally work, is not going to lure me back into the office. But with the bloom officially off the rose with the millennial lure of 'a beer fridge, a dog washing station and sleep pods that no longer smell like farts', it's not entirely surprising the next big thing is...a balcony.

It's the designated smoking area.

Back