Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Make a point on the map. Right click on the point. A menu will appear. It's the last choice at the bottom (Measure Distance). Choose that and make another point on the map and the distance will appear.

I measure the distance from Central Parking to Government Center as just shy of 2 miles. I'm not sure what would be analogous start and end points for San Diego, but using the Santa Fe station as a proxy for downtown, it's about 1.75 miles from the airport. I suspect, due to road layout and differences in transit systems, that Logan is more quickly reached from downtown Boston, though.

I measure the distance from Central Parking to Government Center as just shy of 2 miles. I'm not sure what would be analogous start and end points for San Diego, but using the Santa Fe station as a proxy for downtown, it's about 1.75 miles from the airport. I suspect, due to road layout and differences in transit systems, that Logan is more quickly reached from downtown Boston, though.
I think the key difference between SAN and BOS is SAN has one runway. The departure pattern at SAN is always to the west out over the ocean.

BOS has many departure patterns that flow toward the south and north edges of downtown, taking departing aircraft much closer to the city.

If you were to measure the distance by the closest tall building to a runway, Vegas is even closer, about 4 city blocks or about 4000 ft away from Mandalay Bay and an active runway

Screenshot_20220915-145912_Maps.jpg

If you were to measure the distance by the closest tall building to a runway, Vegas is even closer, about 4 city blocks or about 4000 ft away from Mandalay Bay and an active runway

View attachment 28441
Sure, but what a miserable journey from the terminals! The fact that the Strip is that close to the airport and there is not a reasonable transit, walk, or bike accommodation is absurd.

Sure, but what a miserable journey from the terminals! The fact that the Strip is that close to the airport and there is not a reasonable transit, walk, or bike accommodation is absurd.
For sure, distance definitely belies convenience. I can get to Chicago's Midway from downtown Chicago during rush hour on the Orange Line in about the same time as it takes me to get from downtown Boston to Logan Airport on the Silver Line (approx. 30 minutes). And Midway is 3x further than Logan Airport from their respective downtown!

Go see the Dallas skyline at night. Wow. Even Kansas City tops Boston in this regard.

Boston is really dark at night. I've never understood why, but in addition to obscuring our otherwise really strong skyline, it seems fairly dangerous to me, with visibility badly reduced by lack of good lighting.

Boston is really dark at night. I've never understood why, but in addition to obscuring our otherwise really strong skyline, it seems fairly dangerous to me, with visibility badly reduced by lack of good lighting.

There's been a light pollution argument, which has validity. But modern technology changes things. Low intensity LED accent lighting can be fine-tuned to have a wonderful architectural effect with reduced light pollution these days. On a separate note, Boston has had a financial district with minimal residential integrated near the office towers, so residents' lit windows are also minimal in/around the FiDi, but that is changing and hopefully will continue to change. Cities are realizing it's a win-win if they can become more vibrate/multi-use/24-7 (or at least 18-7)/live-work-play-relax destinations.

There's been a light pollution argument, which has validity. But modern technology changes things. Low intensity LED accent lighting can be fine-tuned to have a wonderful architectural effect with reduced light pollution these days. On a separate note, Boston has had a financial district with minimal residential integrated near the office towers, so residents' lit windows are also minimal in/around the FiDi, but that is changing and hopefully will continue to change. Cities are realizing it's a win-win if they can become more vibrate/multi-use/24-7 (or at least 18-7)/live-work-play-relax destinations.
In a recent study, Boston didn't even crack the top 20 in new apartments built in downtown since 2013. I'm a bit skeptical of the list that Manhattan and Seattle aren't on the list and Baltimore is. If accurate, Boston needs to do way more

Last edited:
In a recent study, Boston didn't even crack the top 20 in new apartments built in DT since 2013. I'm a bit skeptical of the list that Manhattan and Seattle aren't on the list and Baltimore is. If accurate, Boston needs to do way more

Boston was projected to build the 8th most apartments of U.S. cities two years ago. At 8,709 units, that'd put it just behind Chicago and in 13th place on this recent list. Strange that this new study didn't at least place it in the top-20. Something's fishy, or at least inconsistent, with the way that either/both of these analysis arrive at their metrics.

Boston was projected to build the 8th most apartments of U.S. cities two years ago. At 8,709 units, that'd put it just behind Chicago and in 13th place on this recent list. Strange that this new study didn't at least place it in the top-20. Something's fishy, or at least inconsistent, with the way that either/both of these analysis arrive at their metrics.
That's new apartments in the city in general. The list I posted is within the city's downtown. It's in response to bigpicture7 post that highlight Boston should bring more apartment in downtown

What does lit up building crowns have to do with safety? Good lighting would be on the ground level street lights that Boston at least has invested a bunch in for LED upgrades.

That's new apartments in the city in general. The list I posted is within the city's downtown. It's in response to bigpicture7 post that highlight Boston should bring more apartment in downtown

You're right. The report with Boston ranking 8th didn't specify CBD. Makes sense.

Back