Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

I'm a fan of 1 Financial. It looks different from every other highrise in the city. It's all the glass buildings that are visually throwing off the scale. I like buildings where you can easily count the floors. No more conversions to all-glass buildings! We need more solid claddings around here.

20220831_113131.jpg

I am still perplexed by a skyscraper with balconies for offices but zero (not even in penthouses) for the residential component.

I am still perplexed by a skyscraper with balconies for offices but zero (not even in penthouses) for the residential component.
Definitely a weird choice. I can't see someone opting to pony up a ton of $$$ to live at Winthrop when an equivalant/similar sum could get you a similar view and probably similar ameneties etc., but also with a balcony at MT or 1 Dalton.

Definitely a weird choice. I can't see someone opting to pony up a ton of $$$ to live at Winthrop when an equivalant/similar sum could get you a similar view and probably similar ameneties etc., but also with a balcony at MT or 1 Dalton.
The amenities are are a level below Dalton's (still very nice), and roughly comparable units are less costly (at least, the ones I considered). Ultimately, I wasn't won over by Dalton because of 1) lower value (for me) and 2) location: I have no connexion to its area.

Winthrop's units are quite nice and offer an excellent space/amenity package advantage over the Sudbury. (I preferred the views from one of the Sudbury units, however.) And their trims, and installed kit, far exceeds what the Sudbury offers (astonishing, considering that comparable units are offered at less than a Sudbury unit I shortlisted due to the market downturn). Millennium Tower's strengths are in its amenities, in my opinion. Honestly, a lot of the non regal units could be anywhere (and, indeed, a few floor plans are painfully similar to nearby Avalon buildings ). Some of the finishes are subpar for the price point and I didn't deem the units I considered worthy of the upgrades when new offerings were available in high rise (Winthrop) or low rise in the area. Plus, the prices remain overinflated, perhaps an effect of remote (absent) owners demanding their local agents defy local market pressure to drop listing prices.

Back on point: I prefer not to have a balcony, so Winthrop's lack of their view impairment is a boon to me. What I do like - truly floor to ceiling windows - are only offered on certain floors of these buildings (generally, although not always, among the top floors).

In any case, Winthrop is a handsome addition to the city.

Back on point: I prefer not to have a balcony,

I understand not wanting to pay for a unit for a balcony if it was extra, but all other things being equal, may I ask why you would prefer not to have a balcony? I loved my small balcony when I lived in the city 25 years ago.

I don't know why anybody would want a balcony, other than up to maybe the 10th floor of a building. Boston is literally the windiest city in the country, and these balconies are terrifying in that wind. I also feel very vulnerable on the ones that stick out, like they could fall off at any moment.

Aesthetically, balconies that jut out are hideous and have visually wrecked major cities like Toronto, Vancouver, and Miami. From a utilitarian standpoint, I would only feel comfortable on the (more attractive) recessed balconies. However, if they are recessed then they're also cutting into indoor usable floor space, which I would personally prefer. I'm sure the other user has their own reasons but these would be mine. Not a fan.

The balconies on One Dalton aren't terrible with regard to wind and sense of safety. I wouldn't spend a ton of time on them if I was living there, but there's something nice about having some space outside to yourself/yourselves when you're living in a tower unit like this.

C3B7EAB3-89C5-41EB-A0B4-29AD339466AA.jpeg
6E990941-9044-49CF-8446-A61B39576348.jpeg

We’d never live in any high rise without a balcony! Granted, we’re now in Ft Lauderdale on the 11th floor, but for four years, lived on the 18th floor in an Atlanta condo. Frankly, in each case, the balcony was the first place friends/guests headed for when they arrived! Most people seem to love balconies, in our experience anyway. We sure do! As far as looks, I think balconies add to the looks of a building, sorta like a front porch adds to a home. Just my two cents worth, we all have different tastes in style and perception. The pictures are of our balcony, and the condo building (on the left) where we live.

I live in a high rise building with a balcony-terrace. The windows leaked into the unit…upstairs neighbors would toss snow down onto my balcony…and it is super noisy and windy. I had it enclosed…and glad I did.

The amenities are are a level below Dalton's (still very nice), and roughly comparable units are less costly (at least, the ones I considered). Ultimately, I wasn't won over by Dalton because of 1) lower value (for me) and 2) location: I have no connexion to its area.

Winthrop's units are quite nice and offer an excellent space/amenity package advantage over the Sudbury. (I preferred the views from one of the Sudbury units, however.) And their trims, and installed kit, far exceeds what the Sudbury offers (astonishing, considering that comparable units are offered at less than a Sudbury unit I shortlisted due to the market downturn). Millennium Tower's strengths are in its amenities, in my opinion. Honestly, a lot of the non regal units could be anywhere (and, indeed, a few floor plans are painfully similar to nearby Avalon buildings ). Some of the finishes are subpar for the price point and I didn't deem the units I considered worthy of the upgrades when new offerings were available in high rise (Winthrop) or low rise in the area. Plus, the prices remain overinflated, perhaps an effect of remote (absent) owners demanding their local agents defy local market pressure to drop listing prices.

Back on point: I prefer not to have a balcony, so Winthrop's lack of their view impairment is a boon to me. What I do like - truly floor to ceiling windows - are only offered on certain floors of these buildings (generally, although not always, among the top floors).

In any case, Winthrop is a handsome addition to the city.
Thanks for the opinions, very interesting. Did you look at the Seaport at all, Echelon, Pier 4, 50 Liberty, etc.? Just curious.

Back