Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

75553361-380D-4CD6-BEE2-9DD0DA52990F.jpeg
BCD7F5AF-C2EC-40F7-8266-73DEBFF489CD.jpeg
7BEFB0F9-2E00-449D-BAA0-E942A92C8434.jpeg
8B3ECA86-32A6-492C-A4D9-A3CEE8A95282.jpeg

JHT, 1 Dalton, Winthrop, Milleniium Tower -- four of the five tallest in Boston are glass-clad.

One Congress, 111 Huntington, One Post Ofice Square (when it's done), Hub on Causeway/Verizon, Exchange Place, Hub50House, 33 Arch, Atlantic Wharf -- eight of the next 30 tallest are glass.

How many would it take for you to not feel that "very few" downtown skyscrapers are glass?
Also South Station tower will be yet another tall all-glass addition to downtown.

JHT, 1 Dalton, Winthrop, Milleniium Tower -- four of the five tallest in Boston are glass-clad.

One Congress, 111 Huntington, One Post Ofice Square (when it's done), Hub on Causeway/Verizon, Exchange Place, Hub50House, 33 Arch, Atlantic Wharf -- eight of the next 30 tallest are glass.

How many would it take for you to not feel that "very few" downtown skyscrapers are glass?
Almost none of the buildings you just named are downtown. One congress (govt center), Hub Causeway (west end), hub 50 (west end), 111 huntington (back bay), JHT and Dalton (back bay). I'm talking about the buildings that surround Winthrop---i.e. that are in the same neighborhood. As the pictures below show nicely, it's mostly surrounded by 1970's style buildings (lots of brown ones) in the downtown crossing/financial district.

Above grade it's 709' asl. Anyone know what MT is?
Also South Station tower will be yet another tall all-glass addition to downtown.

Glass facading pretty much inundates the tall and super tall market everywhere now, in every city in the country. If you look at the tallest across the board, everything new is predominantly glass.. everywhere 🤷🏽‍♂️

Not all, to avoid a series of tangent rebuts, but most.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this mofo's crown better be lit up at night. Could even be its saving grace. It's a boring 3 out of 5 stars effort otherwise.

100%. The nighttime renders and pre-construction PR promised a brilliantly-lit crown at night, so hopefully they don't VE that out of reality like 1 Dalton did with the 4 Seaons tree logo.

Also, I'm still pretty anxious about how the cool "preview" of One Congress' nighttime lighting scheme -- which was AMAZING -- has been totally dark after having been revealed for about a week earlier this summer.

Also, I'm still pretty anxious about how the cool "preview" of One Congress' nighttime lighting scheme -- which was AMAZING -- has been totally dark after having been revealed for about a week earlier this summer.

I completely share your anxiety about One Congress' lighting scheme, here's to hoping it comes back real soon.

I completely share your anxiety about One Congress' lighting scheme, here's to hoping it comes back real soon.

My best guess: neighbors complained that the lights would cast shadows on the streets below. Or on the Common; Trinity Church; etc.

100%. The nighttime renders and pre-construction PR promised a brilliantly-lit crown at night, so hopefully they don't VE that out of reality like 1 Dalton did with the 4 Seaons tree logo.

The older renders/version of the tower showed a brilliantly lit up crown at night, but the most recent renders have all shown subtle lighting in the crevices of the folds of the crown.

These vertical metal accents in the crown shown in this picture should be subtly lit.
From the top of Franklin, by Millennium Tower.

View attachment 27204

New article: https://bankerandtradesman.com/a-sustainable-landmark-rises-on-the-boston-skyline/

Accompanying render. Doesn't appear to be lit up so much as reflecting a late evening sky, but 3 other towers plus a couple in the seaport are clearly lit in this photo.

View attachment 27889

I came back, again, this weekend. Before my Acela sat by the weird City Winery pop-up that no one goes to. Solid view of the top and I just don't think this thing is being lit up. In between the ridges is just a gray material that doesn't look like a light covering. Pretty sure we are effed on this one too.

As we can now view the final rendition, I don't find this tower to be offensive in any way. It is just the opposite. I just find it to be boring, lacking distinguishing features and rather nondescript. It's already forgettable and just blends in with the skyline lacking any prominence. You can contrast it by simply looking at the old State Street building in the preceding post which draws your attention.

Last edited:

Back