Winthrop Square Garage Demolition | Downtown

This is what every city in Syria looks like right now. At least the lower three floors in this picture do.

cca

When was this garage built? If there was lead paint used, I really hope the demolition team is properly containing dust and air particles to the site. My office just listened to a very frightening presentation about how easy it is for a child to get lead poisoning from air particulates, especially near construction sites.

Given how hard it was to navigate a CRV through it, I'm guessing the garage was build about the same time Ford was churning out Model T's. I can't imagine what it was like to park there in the 50's-70's when everyone was driving bombers.

Summer Street is changing in a very bright direction. Once this is developed there will be more residential people downtown. This development will be very positive for this area.

Sorry if this was covered pages ago, but why is all this activity being posted here instead of the proposed building thread?

Is it because the demo of the garage is not directly linked (yet) to the Millennium proposal?

Sorry if this was covered pages ago, but why is all this activity being posted here instead of the proposed building thread?

Is it because the demo of the garage is not directly linked (yet) to the Millennium proposal?

I believe the old thread is still locked.

It should be unlocked. This thread is being used exactly how that thread would be if it were. No reason at this point.

Back then garages were solidly built. Many garage built in the last two decades would come down like a house of cards with one touch of a wrecker's ball.

Back then garages were solidly built. Many garage built in the last two decades would come down like a house of cards with one touch of a wrecker's ball.

Kinda funny that you say that considering this garage had been condemned for some time now.

Kinda funny that you say that considering this garage had been condemned for some time now.

Yes exactly. Same with Quincy Center (& Quincy Adams is also falling apart, though not yet condemned). Today's garages might look like tinker toys with double tees and column seats, but they are far more structurally sound than these flimsy old garages with extremely thin flat slabs and column capitals.

I believe the old thread is still locked.

out with the old, in with the new.

It's just an empty lot now.....

AB Overlords; please change thread title to

Winthrop Square Skyscraper 51 Stories 701' | 115 Federal Street | Downtown

TY

Is that really happening or did they just demolish the garage?

It is happening yes, but please remember that we do not put stories or heights in thread titles. We came to a consensus years ago that we are not skyscraper city when we came up with the thread naming protocol.

Will a new garage be included with the planned new tower to replace the old one?

Will a new garage be included with the planned new tower to replace the old one?

According to one of the information packages the project will have 4 levels of underground parking with between 400-500 spaces.

Back