🔹 What's Happening With Project X?

At least 1 dalton and the hub on causeways base is u/c. If we cant get the winthrop tower in this cycle that will be sad. Then it will be another 10 years and a whole new set of plans/opposition/speculation.

Winthrop Square has a good chance. They've come this far.... BPDA never lost sight of what a competent developer looks like, and Millennium is fully committed to build (775'). They'll be in court fighting over the shadows, but the lawmakers will carry WST over the goal line.

is it demand, or is it rising construction costs? I have heard garden garage development is on hold because the increased cost of construction. Could there just not be enough skilled workers to build everything right now?

^^We've done so many mid rises in 10-20 stories. It appears we've reached a bend in the road on the higher end of rental units.

Look at all the luxury housing from Duxbury to Newburyport, From Westford to Taunton, we haven't built much in the last 2 decades. Garden Garage, 40 Trinity, ect, etc, have gone quiet. But, reading posts from 7 or 8 years ago, we see a good number of 'doubtfuls' now up. With the lack of luxury we're adding outside rt128, i wonder if we'll ever satisfy all parts of the luxury housing market without completing some tall towers. Guess we all wonder how many will get done.

i thought Millennium Partners might be one of the developers working on (Columbus Ctr). No. They looked at it and passed. they "...never liked the parcel, don't like the politics... and getting tax breaks is a public relations nightmare. The decking is insanely expensive. It's nearly impossible to make it work...."

sigh.

Last edited:
is it demand, or is it rising construction costs? I have heard garden garage development is on hold because the increased cost of construction. Could there just not be enough skilled workers to build everything right now?

If the Garden Garage tower is in fact on hold (I went on Equity's website no update) then this is another win for the Nimbys.Like the Copley Tower this should be halfway built already.Both projects went thru years of resistance and when they finally got approved now the construction costs are too high.The city has to start turning a deaf ear especially to the a-holes in the "beautiful" West effing End glorified project.

The 1000-room Omni hotel that was proposed on MassPort land across from the Convention Center?

I thought they had started work on demolishing the Garden Garage already. I thought someone had mentioned that on the Garden Garage page...

i drove by last week and it there were no signs of anything except business as usual.

They demolished the bubble on top, but the garage will remain in operation through next summer.

wtf? does this mean it's cancelled? Or are they taking a wait and see approach? ... Are they waiting for lower construction costs? If it is cancelled, we've now lost 1110' of skyscraper in the middle of Boston in one of the best real estate markets in the world.

They are probably just waiting to see what the market looks like by the summer. Plus I would guess it is easier and maybe cheaper to build in the summer.

Not every project that is approved will get built. Also big projects like this take time. You need to relax Odura.

i've heard from inside that its just too costly to build right now due to lack of contractors that can handle large projects, which does make sense between Wynn, Boston Garden, Four Seasons and Fenway.

Also--what is going on with Wonderland? Has there been a proposal for anything there? Is the land being used for anything?

i've heard from inside that its just too costly to build right now due to lack of contractors that can handle large projects, which does make sense between Wynn, Boston Garden, Four Seasons and Fenway.

I'm unconvinced. I believe that labor is a bit tight, but this isn't a new development. Are there really more projects now then there were, say, a year-and-a-half ago? We know that metro building permits for 2016 are down from 2015. For every new project that has started up recently, another has wrapped. For every Four Seasons Tower there's a Millennium Tower, and for every Pierce and Skanska Burger King there's a Van Ness and Viridian. The same could be shown, more or less, for the Seaport.

My point here isn't that we should make up lists and argue over this for hours, but instead that we have a steady flow of buildings coming online in Boston and we have for quite a few years now. No reason to get overly worried about things going too fast or too slow. The trend is steady, and any little fluctuations in building pace are likely just noise.

wtf? does this mean it's cancelled? Or are they taking a wait and see approach? ... Are they waiting for lower construction costs? If it is cancelled, we've now lost 1110' of skyscraper in the middle of Boston in one of the best real estate markets in the world.

Yes, that's exactly what it means. It also means that from this point on, every single project that replaces garages will be cancelled. Now, in the past, and in the future.

Back