🔹 What's Happening With Project X?

From the Edge Study. - Maintain the small historic scale of this particular block.
2. BROAD STREET / INDIA WHARF
a. The conjunctions of smaller scale buildings clustered around the Broad Street and Franklin Street crossroads are firstly, a reminder of the fine street scale of eighteenth and nineteenth century Boston and secondly, an opportunity to encourage a pattern of small and medium scale mixed use within an otherwise high rise neighborhood.
b. While the natural ‘gateway’ between the city and the Greenway is at the crossroads of Broad and Franklin, the ‘signature place’ is the narrow and serpentine Wendell Street, presently a back alley but potentially a pedestrian place of outstanding charm.
c. While the charm of the small scale brick buildings and the grace of the aptly named Broad Street present opportunities for residential and smallscale retail and commercial development, the economic viability of such projections needs to be determined.

b. While the natural ‘gateway’ between the city and the Greenway is at the crossroads of Broad and Franklin, the ‘signature place’ is the narrow and serpentine Wendell Street, presently a back alley but potentially a pedestrian place of outstanding charm.

20 years later, this is what Wendell Street looks like:
86 Wendell St - Google Maps

Having spent an evening walking along the seaport waterfront, has there been any word, official or otherwise, on the Northern Avenue Bridge project? As far as I can tell the latest action was submissions to USACE for permits in both June/July 2020 and 2021, with no movement since then - The official project website still lists Mayor Walsh, and he hasn't been mayor for well over a year.

Obviously, this was formally launched in the early height of the pandemic, but it seems to have utterly vanished from the FY23+ Boston capital budget. And while I would like to see the design reconsidered, I would like the connection to exist more.

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about the flower exchange project? Did that axed? They demolished the building, put a sampler up on site but haven't seen anything since.

What happened to the proposed hotel on Cross Street next to the RKG? Here's the thread on AB for it.

Last edited:
Neiman Marcus is suing Simon Properties over failed Copley Place tower.

Neiman Marcus is suing Simon Properties over failed Copley Place tower.

I'm not an attorney, but I bet I could propose a win-win solution out of court for both of these parties: Neiman Marcus agrees to drop suit if Simon sells the tower project to Samuels Associates (or someone who similarly knows how to build over the Pike) with a commitment that the tower will be built by X date, and in accord with prior considerations promised to Neiman. Simon will also toss a few million of the sales proceeds back to Neiman for their troubles over the past 6 years. There ya go!

The Globe's story on the above situation:

Given what they allege, I wonder why it took them 6 years to sue? My hunch would be the string of articles giving fanfare to the two other successfully launched pike air rights projects in the meantime, plus the policy streamlining that helped make those possible. NM might have initially bought Simon's "we can't do this" rhetoric until these more recent examples materialized. IIRC, we at aB were assuming Simon was balking at the structural engineering being too tough/expensive, but it seems what they told NM was with regard to a struggle to get MassDOT approval -- which is quite a different reason.

Mods: The Copley Place Expansion & Tower thread is locked, so not sure where to post this other than continue the discussion here. Feel free to move.

Last edited:
Read this article yesterday, thought it was interesting. It would be great if Simon decided to move forward with the project bc of the lawsuit but the odds of that happening are probably zero.

Back