10 Farnsworth Street | Fort Point

33904923181_51055f0d8f_b.jpg

Windows going in, protest going on outside about Middlesex Glass.

MiASyrr.jpg

Non-union work?

So, anyone here involved in making the choice to use concrete framing in lieu of steel recently. It makes sense when talking about buildings that are 12+ floor and used for residential because you can get one more floor out of the deal ... but what is pushing a building like this do go to concrete? Is there something other than first cost going on that someone can share with me?

cca

what is pushing a building like this do go to concrete?

Between my experiences in property management & real estate sales for 4 years, and a lifetime of hearing my upper-class family members discuss what to look for when luxury home-shopping, I would guess they went to concrete because it's often better for sound-proofing and associated with a luxury product. You can do more in the shell of an open concrete space like these (including open floor plans).

Granted my assumption is 100% anecdotal and purely an educated guess, I hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply. There is not enough value in that answer for it to be the driver imho. Perhaps your right but I have designed and constructed several residential buildings in steel and nothing having to do with acoustics would push us to us concrete which historically has been more expensive. Most of these buildings we are seeing are very cost conscious and tied to a pro-forma. I am wondering what has pushed the cost issue towards concrete.

cca

If Im spending $5 million on a condo, you can fuck yourself if you try selling me steel.

Thanks for the reply. There is not enough value in that answer for it to be the driver imho. Perhaps your right but I have designed and constructed several residential buildings in steel and nothing having to do with acoustics would push us to us concrete which historically has been more expensive. Most of these buildings we are seeing are very cost conscious and tied to a pro-forma. I am wondering what has pushed the cost issue towards concrete.

cca

Well, again, this development looks tailored for a high-luxury buyer. With 2,200+ sq. ft. floorplans (and a 4,000+ sq. ft. penthouse) that have direct elevator service to unit and Fort Point condos selling for at least $1,300+/sq. ft., we're talking about $3 Million to $5.5 Million+ condo units. In that price tier, the building's looking at $30 Million in total sales on a construction budget of maybe $10M to $13M... I imagine the pro forma makes sense for concrete in this case.

If Im spending $5 million on a condo, you can fuck yourself if you try selling me steel.

Well that's pretty aggressive.

I am just saying there has been a shift. I do not think it comes down to ... rich people get concrete ... the scrubs get steel. There is other factors at play here and I am just trying to learn what they are.

cca

Well that's pretty aggressive.

I am just saying there has been a shift. I do not think it comes down to ... rich people get concrete ... the scrubs get steel. There is other factors at play here and I am just trying to learn what they are.

cca

Sometimes it's a supply issue. If there are 10 steel buildings going up, and you want to start, you might be looking at delays or price premiums.

i like the wicked edginess of posts like this.

i didn't know this was a trend in midrises.

highrises where stiffness is desired is the only thing i'd heard about.

Sometimes it's a supply issue. If there are 10 steel buildings going up, and you want to start, you might be looking at delays or price premiums.

That makes sense. So might there be a spike in steel costs these days?

cca

Between my experiences in property management & real estate sales for 4 years, and a lifetime of hearing my upper-class family members discuss what to look for when luxury home-shopping, I would guess they went to concrete because it's often better for sound-proofing and associated with a luxury product. You can do more in the shell of an open concrete space like these (including open floor plans).

Granted my assumption is 100% anecdotal and purely an educated guess, I hope that helps.

I didn't realize that.. so no big posts in the way of the interiors as opposed to steel buildings?!
Now I feel gypped..

I didn't realize that.. so no big posts in the way of the interiors as opposed to steel buildings?!
Now I feel gypped..

I would not say that there are less columns ... or even smaller columns in concrete vs steel. That has everything to do with how the horizontal members deal with the floor loads. A waffle slab can have wider bay spacing but that is because a waffle slab has lots of "beams". You have have clear spans in steel too ... just have more or deeper beams.

(so dont feel slighted) ...

I would not say that there are less columns ... or even smaller columns in concrete vs steel. That has everything to do with how the horizontal members deal with the floor loads. A waffle slab can have wider bay spacing but that is because a waffle slab has lots of "beams". You have have clear spans in steel too ... just have more or deeper beams.

(so dont feel slighted) ...

Very informative (and thanks for the pick-me-up. :) )

I am sooooo excited about this one ... everything about it so far is saying that it is going to be great.

cca

I am sooooo excited about this one ... everything about it so far is saying that it is going to be great.

cca

Its funny that its just 2 doors down from fp3 which was very distinguished itself about 10 years ago or so now. Love the vibe of fort point although its gotten a little uppity lately

Its funny that its just 2 doors down from fp3 which was very distinguished itself about 10 years ago or so now. Love the vibe of fort point although its gotten a little uppity lately

Any idea what the retail will be? I know FP3 owners have had issues with restaurants below them, constantly complaining about noise, deliveries blah blah

Back