100 Pier 4 | 136-146 Northern Avenue | Seaport

Re: Pier 4

Yes, to piggy back off this thought. Watermark (aka shit sandwich), the two Veretex buildings, 319 A street, and the D Flat apts, will all be coming online within the next 6 months. That is going to be a lot of added activity, not to far after that some Seaport and another Fan Pier building will be built. The street life will surround the remaining (and diminishing) parking lots. Come next spring there will be much pedistrian activy starting in Downtown, over Fort Point and into South Boston. It will be continuous.

Would add that by next spring we should see Skanska's watermark seaport (L shaped parcel next to Q park) and just maybe Seaport Square's parcel B and C plus 399 Congress and Goodwin Proctor fan pier building break ground. That's about 1500-1800 residential units out of those four projects alone.

Re: Pier 4 Residential Tower | 136-146 Northern Avenue | Seaport

Whether it's a giant douche or a turd sandwhich, you better vote or die.

"What does that even mean?"

MrdKc8d.jpg
[/IMG]

WNZN2DV.jpg

XL4OTYW.jpg

MMrH0Gt.jpg

Never seen a core where one half is steel and the other half is concrete. Sort of reminds me of the exeter which has a unique core too that I had never seen before either.

Never seen a core where one half is steel and the other half is concrete. Sort of reminds me of the exeter which has a unique core too that I had never seen before either.

The 'core' is a concrete shear wall, the steel framing is not really the core it's just gravity framing. This approach is not uncommon although more so in office than residential.

Next to my FAVORITE large block building in the seaport area (anybody else agree?)

Looks good so far. I really hope the materials work out well for this one.

yea thats what im afraid of cuz the facade on this in renders looks almost exactly like waterside place.

Is that Blue Hills in the background? Very cool angle.

I was looking at that thinking, wow Dorchester heights is much more impressive than I ever thought.

the Blue Hills one is cool,

Building support...it's called a shear wall and helps with wind resistance aka lateral loads. Don't know what exactly it is about this shape or location that necessitates it but that's what it is.

KZ, thanks much!!

Building support...it's called a shear wall and helps with wind resistance aka lateral loads. Don't know what exactly it is about this shape or location that necessitates it but that's what it is.

It is in lieu of other kinds of lateral bracing. If you can use the elevator core for the lateral stiffness of the building you can reduce the amount of other kinds of lateral bracing. Diagonal, or moment framing. This is pretty important in big open plans and buildings with lots of open glass. Diagonal bracing CAN be unsightly unless it is coordinated with the architecture.

cca

Diagonal bracing CAN be unsightly unless it is coordinated with the architecture.

cca

That and they can be nightmares when trying to get large utilities (ductwork) thru, and can be a bitch in the vertical as well.

Kz -- perhaps the wind loading standard for a building sitting so exposed on the water is greater than for something of equivalent size more inland

For example the gusts out at the buoy offshore from the Inner Harbor this AM where essentially 'Gale Force" while Logan only saw lower 30's

Back