100 Shawmut Avenue | South End

Yeah, I’m happy to be proven wrong on this one. I still don’t like the design overall. I don’t think it’s a bad render. It’s just...jarring. 🤷‍♂️

Remember to meet the housing goals -- Boston has to have about 1000 projects of this scale as well as a handful of the really big ones

Remember to meet the housing goals -- Boston has to have about 1000 projects of this scale as well as a handful of the really big ones

I think an important question is what happens if (when) we dont meet the housing goals? Anything significant? Or just an oops...

Before I asked my "Why isn't this thing going taller?" question, I found that @JeffDowntown answered this in 2017:
This is being fit within the Harrison Albany Corridor zoning for the area -- heavily negotiated with the surrounding neighborhoods. It won't be allowed to go bigger -- this is exactly the height and massing allowed in a PDA in that zoning area (redone in 2013). (PDA has been created in conjunction with the Boston Chinatown Evangelical Church and CCBA who control abutting parcels.)

Here's the link to the Strategic Plan on the BDPA website: http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/e9cd60ce-5e83-43a5-8491-36adbcf40b40

Crazy to me that 7 years ago, when it was well established that the city's growth was accelerating, we were comfortable zoning the New York streets 100' As-of-Right and 150-200' by PDA. This area is walking distance to all of downtown. The developer is building to the maximum allowed height, the demand is clearly there.

Walked by this morning (11/23):

IMG_20191123_080840141.jpg

Back