101 Seaport Blvd (PwC) | Parcel L1@Seaport Sq. | Seaport

Well, if you're going to build a glass box for a building, this is the best way you can do it.

pel, it's Watermark Seaport. Parcel K.

From a friend who is working on the building:

D766C4E6-65C8-4416-AC43-2E897019A26C_zpsqxbw3myp.jpg

Yes, it's the glassiest and boxiest of glass boxes imaginable... but it's well executed and I do like it, to be honest.

High-quality glass (mostly) trumps unimaginative design in this case.

This is just AB being AB. This is a quality project and in the end ...when all the details are executed, people around here will be pleased. Its tough to judge right now.

cca

This is just AB being AB. This is a quality project and in the end ...when all the details are executed, people around here will be pleased. Its tough to judge right now.

Sorry, but this is another box for the seaport. is the glass high quality? Yes. Does the building bring anything to the table to help the district feel more like a place people want to go? No. It's another giant oppressive reflective glass box. I'm finding it hard to think of anything redeeming about this building unless the ground floor has a ton of retail (and i'm not even sure it has ANY retail)

I'm pretty sure the glass box going up across the street at Fan Pier will blow the boxiness quotient on this one out of the water. By comparison, this will be a treasure.

I'm pretty sure the glass box going up across the street at Fan Pier will blow the boxiness quotient on this one out of the water. By comparison, this will be a treasure.

Oh goody (truly faint praise) -- so is it time for the Kensington comparison yet?

The whole Seaport district has a hard deck over it due to FAA regulations, so its not like these guys can go out and build awesome highrises like they can in downtown or Back Bay. They have to maximize floor plate size and try to do something interesting in the process.

I get that you want to see more interesting buildings, but the only thing that really makes financial sense is these big boxes. Other buildings are smaller parcels should hopefully look better, but the big parking lots are going to become big boxes.

In that context, it is a decent design. I'm having a hard time thinking of something that could look better here within the price range. Nobody is going to build the CCTV headquarters in Beijing in Seaport... it's not valuable enough real-estate to justify. Although that would definitely look pretty cool.

[...] but the big parking lots are going to become big boxes.

That's a flaw in the redevelopment process. The big parking lots (or at least some of them) should have been broken up and developed separately. That would have provided a much more diverse landscape.

Back