101 Seaport Blvd (PwC) | Parcel L1@Seaport Sq. | Seaport

Yeah, maybe the feds will eventually move (someone pointed out how having a stadium atop a major transit hub is not a desirable spot for a federal building, in terms of security), but that's a long way off. i think the transportation building is much less bad - at least it has retail. i think the jfk part of govt center is the worst govt building, although then again at least it fits into the theme of modern 1950s style blockiness (it actually looked pretty cool in black and white photos when it was new). the oneil is just ugly. at any rate, too bad Chelsea couldnt have just hatched a plan for an enormous federal center to house ALL the stuff - FBI, Oneil, and Kennedy. Now that would free up a shitload of development!

16496906535_76be58aee0_b.jpg

First: Welcome to our new forumer! Please keep sharing high quality pics :)

Second: Poor Seaport, forever destined to get these stillborn designs due to its location.

I second the welcoming, and great picture. The juxtaposition of the courthouse with the buildings behind it is pleasing to the eye.

I still firmly believe that the Seaport is turning out very well. Remember, the box shapes going up now are meant to be home for Fortune 500 companies. It's the residential/hotel components currently under construction or planned that will contrast against the offices. I think it's going to be OK.

When you walk down Oliver Street towards the intersection of Oliver and Purchase St, this building looks very nice.

I used to think that the courthouse was hideous when it was all by itself. No that it has some friends it actually looks kinda nice.

I still firmly believe that the Seaport is turning out very well. Remember, the box shapes going up now are meant to be home for Fortune 500 companies. It's the residential/hotel components currently under construction or planned that will contrast against the offices. I think it's going to be OK.

I don't know, the residential buildings so far haven't been very inspiring...

I don't know, the residential buildings so far haven't been very inspiring...

Busses -- the totality of the Seaport / Innovation District is a sort of compressed pale imitation the architecture walking tour of Commonwealth Ave in the Back Bay-- a museum of design eras

You have:
  • 1. Landmarks -- Commonwealth Pier, Fish Pier, ICA, Pavilion [whatever bank these days], BCEC, Manulife / Hancock, Courthouse
  • 2. the truly old -- 19th C and early 20th C such as Boston Wharf warehouses now being repurposed
  • 3. Old industrial -- former Army Base, former Navy Yard, and the now Cruise Terminal
  • 4. first colonizers -- now going away fast commercial buildings mostly on the water such Pier 4, Barking Crab, etc.
  • 5. the now very dated first gen of modern building -- Seaport Hotel, E, W Office towers, -- all clad in familiar brick
  • 6. the 2nd gen -- white brick and cast panels
  • 7. first of the glass boxes -- Vertex, former Mass Challenge
  • 8. new glass

Busses -- the totality of the Seaport / Innovation District is a sort of compressed pale imitation the architecture walking tour of Commonwealth Ave in the Back Bay-- a museum of design eras

You have:
  • 1. Landmarks -- Commonwealth Pier, Fish Pier, ICA, Pavilion [whatever bank these days], BCEC, Manulife / Hancock, Courthouse
  • 2. the truly old -- 19th C and early 20th C such as Boston Wharf warehouses now being repurposed
  • 3. Old industrial -- former Army Base, former Navy Yard, and the now Cruise Terminal
  • 4. first colonizers -- now going away fast commercial buildings mostly on the water such Pier 4, Barking Crab, etc.
  • 5. the now very dated first gen of modern building -- Seaport Hotel, E, W Office towers, -- all clad in familiar brick
  • 6. the 2nd gen -- white brick and cast panels
  • 7. first of the glass boxes -- Vertex, former Mass Challenge
  • 8. new glass

True. When the Seaport is done you'll be looking at uses and architecture spanning decades. There is a story there. We are watching it develop, often frustrated, in real time.

True. When the Seaport is done you'll be looking at uses and architecture spanning decades. There is a story there. We are watching it develop, often frustrated, in real time.

I quite often wonder what future Bostonians will think of the Seaport... How will the look and materials and architecture hold up over time. Was Back Bay, South End, etc, met with the same skepticism. They didn't just magically appear as complete neighborhoods either...They've also had periods of decline and rebirth. There's clearly a lot of layers where you can't make an apples to apples comparison, but still, I wonder.

Future Bostonians will be trying to protect Seaport from rising ocean.

I quite often wonder what future Bostonians will think of the Seaport... How will the look and materials and architecture hold up over time. Was Back Bay, South End, etc, met with the same skepticism. They didn't just magically appear as complete neighborhoods either...They've also had periods of decline and rebirth. There's clearly a lot of layers where you can't make an apples to apples comparison, but still, I wonder.

The south end is arguably more popular now then it ever was. By and large the south end was lackluster at best when it was developed. The homes fell out of favor to the back bay and later the early suburbs (Roxbury, Newton, Brighton, Brookline) almost immediately.

I still don't understand why the opening on the front of the podium is off-set from the center. Doesn't seem like it would be a forced structural design, but I also have a hard time imagining it would be an architectural decision

I've been perusing the renders and marketing material, looking for the reasoning behind the off-center entrance. Possible reasons: the shift to the right brings the entrance closer to the nearest crossing of Seaport Boulevard, which I suppose could improve access time by a couple seconds (but it also brings the entrance farther away from the Harbor Way pedestrian arcade). Architecturally, though the podium entrance drags the eye to the right, a canopy over the door drags the eye back to the left, producing an interesting effect. But my best guess is that now the podium entrance aligns almost perfectly with a vista straight along the future site of the memorial reflecting pool, right through Fan Pier Park, and out to the harbor.

Future Bostonians will be trying to protect Seaport from rising ocean.

I think there is something to be said for both but as for me ice is twice as nice -- or something to that effect with deep apologies to Robert of Frost

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...-frozen-bay/uyigPyMxxKxQ45POiDYi6J/story.html
Coast Guard spots coyote on frozen Boston Harbor
By Steve Annear GLOBE STAFF FEBRUARY 27, 2015
The historically frigid February weather has produced an abundance of out-of-the-ordinary sights, including one for those aboard a US Coast Guard cutter in Boston Harbor.

Crews were breaking and chipping away at the ice clogging the harbor when they spotted a coyote in the middle of the frozen water.

coyote-big.jpg

“They were there on the boat, and the coyote was just out running on the ice,” said Petty Officer Myeonghi Clegg, a spokeswoman for the Coast Guard in Boston.

^that wound up being some dudes lost dog.

I've seen that story, but I'm not sure I buy it. The found dog from the pics doesn't looks that much like the animal in photo above, which looks very much like a coyote. Maybe I've missed some evidence in the stories about it, but all I've seen are the guy's claims that it's his dog.

Back