11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

Re: One Bromfield (28-story tower @ DTX)

As much as I hate to agree with Drucker on anything, there is nothing wrong with the corner of Washington and Bromfield.

Good. Let it die.

Why? Because of its design?

Hopefully something will eventually be built there and at least 25 stories. That corner and really that entire stretch of Washington, looks pretty bad and has some vacancies.

That corner and that entire stretch of Washington is a treasure that needs to be fully restored, not torn down and replaced with some precast and alucobond clad blockbusting shitshow of a building.

That corner and that entire stretch of Washington is a treasure that needs to be fully restored, not torn down and replaced with some precast and alucobond clad blockbusting shitshow of a building.

+1 (again)

When what we have is undoubtedly better than what is expected to replace it, I would prefer to see what we have remain. DTX is an Old World, winding, tight, claustrophobic place - that's what makes it interesting, and it contributes to making Boston overall an interesting, unique and beautiful city.

Replacing tightly packed (and, in this case, beautiful) old buildings with a "precast and alucobond clad blockbusting shitshow of a building" (well put) is double-plus ungood.

Why? Because of its design?

I might be more in favor of this project if it involved a new building replacing an older building (assuming the new building was aesthetically designed as well or better than what would be demolished). However this proposal involves parcel consolidation and will result in what will likely be a middling design. Parcel consolidation seems to almost always have negative aesthetic outcomes. For examples, compare the few portions of the financial district that have remained unscathed by parcel consolidation in the modern era e.g., Pearl St. (between the greenway and High St.) and Broad and Batterymarch St. versus the cold superblocks of the financial district. The contrast is severe. The buildings on small parcels have interesting local restaurants, pubs etc., versus the large high rises with their large lobbies populated primarily by bland bank/atm retail spaces. I'm all in favor of more density but not at the expense of loss of the urban fabric.

the PayLess Shoes building is not a landmark, but it's the kind of background building I'd rather see stay around. I don't see that much value in the other buildings on this parcel.

I would agree that any building built should be of quality. Maybe a Russia Wharf type where the new tower is built on top of what is already there. But I also think it would be nice to have something of at least decent height built there, especially with the Filene's site back on.

It's too bad that the old Barnes and Noble site continues to sit vacant and there are a few other empty stores along the stretch. I call it shoe row given the large number of shoe stores right along that area.

Does anyone have any info why the old Barnes and Noble sight has sat vacant for so long?

call it shoe row given the large number of shoe stores right along that area.

A cluster of competing stores in one product category can be a good draw for shoppers.

Yea, except they're all mall-style sneaker shops patronized by the boys from da hood, we aren't exactly talking Savile Row.

We already have an upscale shopping district. Why does everything have to be "Savile Row"?

DTX is destined to be the "low rent district" for shopping in Boston. Given what is there now for businesses,especically the number of chain eateries, I don't see the district turning around anytime soon. Just hope we can avoid more banks and phone outlets. There are so many empty store fronts on the "ladder" streets and Franklin Street as well that need some action. I don't think we can rely on any one megaproject like Filenes to turn the corner. I'd love to see a hardware store that sells home goods down there.

Yea, except they're all mall-style sneaker shops patronized by the boys from da hood, we aren't exactly talking Savile Row.

Really?

Yep, DSW certainly brings in those boys from the hood. How about no. Some of the stores tend to cater to the "urban youth" like Champs, but tourists from all over the city specifically go to DTX for DSW.

I'm reading "we're not sold on the turn around" as "we screwed around and missed the boat."

I'm reading "we're not sold on the turn around" as "we screwed around and missed the boat."

I'm reading it as there's to much on the market and coming on the market so we're going to wait, and prices will be higher then because the area continues to improve.

@paulc, most definitely that as well.

Back