11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

Re: One Bromfield (28-story tower @ DTX)

DTX is destined to be the "low rent district" for shopping in Boston. Given what is there now for businesses,especically the number of chain eateries, I don't see the district turning around anytime soon. Just hope we can avoid more banks and phone outlets. There are so many empty store fronts on the "ladder" streets and Franklin Street as well that need some action. I don't think we can rely on any one megaproject like Filenes to turn the corner. I'd love to see a hardware store that sells home goods down there.

The problem with the city of Boston is its completely CORPORATE with colleges running housing rampant from supply & demand issues from BC, BU, Northeastern, Suffolk, Simmons, Emerson... Ect pushing anytype of real estate to its limits to make a buck. So there will always be sometype of demand for housing in the city.

We still have some grandfathered mom & pop businesses still around that have been around for decades(AKA the North End). But overall 90% Small businesses are doomed from the start in the city with their expensive rents & other overhead costs to do business in the city. Unless some start-up dot.com has some venture cap money and in which those companies don't really define the city characteristics anyway. The small unique businesses like unique retails or restaurants, hotels help define the cityscape & culture of Boston. Newbury St streets a good example. Just look at the cost of getting a liquor license in the city?

Basically we never had real vision for these areas.
#1 North Station==BUST (I actually miss the old garden and elevated Green Line)
#2 Downtown ===BUST (Sucks)
#3 Seaport District (besides Remy's, and couple of restaurants) ===BUST
#4 Fenway Park==(I miss the old Lansdown ST) Too Corporate

The only areas that continue to keep Boston's history which are still unique
#1 Backbay (Unique)
#2 North End (Unique)
#3 Boston Common (Unique)
#4 Beacon Hill (Unique)
#5 Haymarket

I'm not a fan how this is evovling
#6 The Greenway (Its still better than having the elvated Green Monster HWY)

The rest of the city is a corporate & political playground.
So the development of DOWNTOWN will be Pure corporate. Target, Staples, Mcdonalds, CVS. (they are the only companies that can support the rents for the landlords.)

The problem with the city of Boston is its completely CORPORATE with colleges running housing rampant from supply & demand issues from BC, BU, Northeastern, Suffolk, Simmons, Emerson... Ect pushing anytype of real estate to its limits to make a buck. So there will always be sometype of demand for housing in the city.

We still have some grandfathered mom & pop businesses still around that have been around for decades(AKA the North End). But overall 90% Small businesses are doomed from the start in the city with their expensive rents & other overhead costs to do business in the city. Unless some start-up dot.com has some venture cap money and in which those companies don't really define the city characteristics anyway. The small unique businesses like unique retails or restaurants, hotels help define the cityscape & culture of Boston. Newbury St streets a good example. Just look at the cost of getting a liquor license in the city?

The only areas that continue to keep Boston's history which are still unique
#1 Backbay (Unique)
#2 North End (Unique)
#3 Boston Common (Unique)
#4 Beacon Hill (Unique)
#5 Haymarket

I'm not a fan how this is evovling
#6 The Greenway (Its still better than having the elvated Green Monster HWY)

The rest of the city is a corporate & political playground.
So the development of DOWNTOWN will be Pure corporate. Target, Staples, Mcdonalds, CVS. (they are the only companies that can support the rents for the landlords.)

I don't think Boston is any different than most major cities in terms of larger chains setting up shop and landlords more than happy to sign leases to them given they're more likely to be able to afford the high rents the landlords are going to charge. They (the landlords) certainly don't care if it's a Burger King, or a local store in a space, so long as they're paying their rent in full and on time.

I still feel the Fenway/Kenmore area is a pretty unique area for the most part. Yes there are chains, but there are also some solid local chains/local businesses in the area.

Just because you don't agree with how it's evolving, doesn't mean there isn't a vision, e.g. Fenway Park area. There is a clear vision and an active, vocal community.

For once I agree with Rifleman. You can nitpick all you want but he's right that the city has been overdetermined by dull corporate planning and is worse off for it. Most of the planning energy of the last 20 years has gone into reversing mistakes of the last 50, or into wasting opportunities to capitalize on newly developable areas.

I'm reading "we're not sold on the turn around" as "we screwed around and missed the boat."

I'm reading it as there's to much on the market and coming on the market so we're going to wait, and prices will be higher then because the area continues to improve.

I'm reading it as both of these ^

The only areas that continue to keep Boston's history which are still unique...

My my my--another round of thoughtless assertions. So none of those 4 areas listed above have any "unique history"? Really?! Let's see:

#1 North Station: flanked to the south by Bulfinch Triangle National Historic District. Yep, nothing historic there--it's only been declared historic by the feds, but what do they know, right? Government idiots!
#2 Downtown: King's Chapel, 1688. Old City Hall, 1860s something. Old South Meeting House: 1729. Old State House: 1713. Tremont Temple Baptist Church: 1896. Old Corner Bookstore: 1712. Plus, the Burnham Building, Ames Building, Winthrop Building, Wigglesworth Building, R.H. Stearns, and a few other Victorian-era gems. Or, you can simply deny reality, and assert it all "SUCKS."
#3 Seaport: [actually, can't argue too much with this. Although the "Boston Wharf Co. Industrial Real Estate" sign is top-5 iconic.]
#4 Fenway Park: only the most beloved and historic stadium in North America. But no, let's simply dismiss it as "too corporate."

Yeesh.

I don't see that much value in the other buildings on this parcel.

Nor did the Boston Landmarks Commission--in particular, they hammer the City Sports building (11 Bromfield St.) for being an uninspired piece of post-World War II dreck that is discontinuous with the rest of the street wall.

We NEED Robert Kraft and the NFL DOWN in the Seaport WITH a stadium ASAP to save us from all this CORPORATE shit!

Last edited:

I would have welcomed Kraft in a 2nd since he would been committed to using mostly PRIVATE FUNDS to help build SEAPORT DISTRICT.

And then we could be blessed with the anti-corporate paradise that is Patriot Place, with it's Chipotle and CBS Scene and Panara Bread, down on the Waterfront.

yet another thread hijacked. Cant' you guys start your own thread in general and stop ruining every thread?

picture.php
http://boston.curbed.com/archives/2012/11/one-bromfield-stalled.php#reader_comments

I feel that Midwood is just holding out until Millennium starts back up then will sell off the property for a nice little profit. Looking at what they're proposing I hope my prediction comes true.

That building in the foreground is now slated to be demolished.

Or waiting to see if Millennium will get the rents they are proposing.

I noticed this morning that "The Children's Place" and the AT&T store on Washington (base of proposed building) have closed and the inside space is in some form of reno. These retail spots have fairly large footpints.

Just a coincidence or is the owner not renewing leases in preparation for development here? Has this even been B.R.A. approved?

They had a fire and the sprinklers caused water damage. You'll notice the AT&T relocated temporarily to its original location at the corner of Bromfield--that's temporary, until the water damage is fixed.

No more, no less...

2 things....

1) I noticed that today too and wondered the same thing.
2) Coincidentally I came to this thread this morning to remind myself what the latest news was from way back when.

They had a fire and the sprinklers caused water damage. You'll notice the AT&T relocated temporarily to its original location at the corner of Bromfield--that's temporary, until the water damage is fixed.

No more, no less...

*Whew!*

is Payless undamaged and still open?

is Payless undamaged and still open?

Yes Payless is open. The damage appears to only be in that building Children's Place and at&t (former Wendys) is in. It happened a couple weeks back.

Back