11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

Just a PSA, there's a reason for the current design of the tower if you read the pdf 2 pages back. The purpose is to minimize wind impact, minimize shadows and allow light to the street level, and be energy efficient. It wasn't designed just for design sake. It was probably designed with community input in mind which I greatly appreciate that the developers are putting in the effort to minimize the impact this building has on the surrounding. They still dropped the ball on that gaping hole of a valet entrance.

I would 100% approve of this if they drop the cantilevered edge on the MT side. It just looks a little awkward from afar with multiple cantilevers.

Just a PSA, there's a reason for the current design of the tower if you read the pdf 2 pages back. The purpose is to minimize wind impact, minimize shadows and allow light to the street level, and be energy efficient. It wasn't designed just for design sake. It was probably designed with reducing community opposition in mind.

I agree that this is true. However, removing those bulges has the same effect, just without something to show the Nimbys that they are trying to do the right thing. A slimmer tower, with added SqFootage at the top has the same environmental impact, just without being showy about it for the Nimbys sake. I get why they are there structurally and technically, but reducing those bulges makes for a more striking/slender building aesthetically while still preserving the technical goals.

The Vanderbilt Tower you quoted in the 111 Federal thread is one of my least favorite proposals of all-time. Just saying.

I had no other example of what I mean without drawing it myself, and then it would look terrible. I wasn't saying to build that tower I am saying to build a modern glass tower with a crown. I don't have another means of expressing what I have in my head so I went with the next best option. Another great option would be a tall Liberty Mutual esque tower in a way like 30 park place in NYC but with a crown. Again there is nothing I can reference and I do not know how to model so you have to use your imagination. Another image I have in my head is a glass tower with limestone lines up the tower blending into a more heavily masonry (limestone prefab) crown that I think would look good also. The same way that old 20's towers had long vertical lines but with more glass in between them. The recent new school art deco towers seem to have gotten away from the long vertical lines.

We have the deck of the highest occupied floor at 683'.

i'll measure up to the top of the mechanical screen and see if it jibes with the wide view renders.

I agree that this is true. However, removing those bulges has the same effect, just without something to show the Nimbys that they are trying to do the right thing. A slimmer tower, with added SqFootage at the top has the same environmental impact, just without being showy about it for the Nimbys sake. I get why they are there structurally and technically, but reducing those bulges makes for a more striking/slender building aesthetically while still preserving the technical goals.

But we have to remember at what height will it still be allowable before the FAA steps in. Remember, the base of this tower is probably 20ft higher than the Millennium tower and if this tower is supposedly 710ft, then this building would be approximately 50 ft taller and pushing the upper limit allowed. If they want to keep the square footage they are looking for and be in compliance with the FAA, they have to cantilever out to allow sunlight at the base and achieve the space they need.

As with the once-promising TD Garden development, this is the version to come out looking like you are swinging for the fences. Later versions and VE will make this even more disappointing. Now, if they would call the Garden folks about how to design a decent podium with good street interaction and a nod to the local vernacular...

I trust the BRA in this instance I think they are well aware that this parcel needs an icon. They have had nothing to do with this proposal yet and I believe they will pull through. Look at the government center garage they pulled through big time there. I have faith here. The TD garden tower was scaled due to caving to the west end NIMBY's I don't see that happening here.

^^^i believe the BRA worked with them on some things.

street podium level to deck of highest occupied floor 887 pixels.

highest floor + mechanical penthouse 66 pixels.

highest occupied floor deck height. 683'

architectural height. 733.8' +/- 2'

My contact at BRA told me the absolute tallest 111 Fed can go is 735'.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is true or just my perception - but I feel like we owe Millenium some credit for taking the roof off of the financial district. Before they went big (big for Boston) I doubt anyone else would have either, particularly after what happened with 111Federal round 1. We may end up with a second plateau around 725', but that is the FAA's doing and not scared developers. Props to Millenium, and props to these guys for pushing the height.

Anti-props to the developers of the TD Garden towers for reducing height when it was there for the taking.

Not wholly what I was expecting...not sure I like the way it bows out...personally I couldn't care less about the payless building...much ado about nothing imho.

I don't know if this is true or just my perception - but I feel like we owe Millenium some credit for taking the roof off of the financial district. Before they went big (big for Boston) I doubt anyone else would have either, particularly after what happened with 111Federal round 1. We may end up with a second plateau around 725', but that is the FAA's doing and not scared developers. Props to Millenium, and props to these guys for pushing the height.

Anti-props to the developers of the TD Garden towers for reducing height when it was there for the taking.

Agreed. I think the same is happening in the back bay as well.

Anyone remember Neisner's on that site...old fashioned 5 and 10, entrances on Washington and Bromfield.

^^Well said, although Boston Properties blamed the NIMBYs for the reduced height at North Station, when they were asked about that by an AB member at the big reveal/meeting.

^^Well said, although Boston Properties blamed the NIMBYs for the reduced height at North Station, when they were asked about that by an AB member at the big reveal/meeting.

yea... but it was already approved so that explanation never made any sense.

If the highest 111 Fed (or this presumably) can go is 735', what the hell was Tommy smoking when he was pushing a 1000' tower 10 years ago? Is the 735' a new revelation? Was the FAA not yet involved at that point? Had they not given their 2 cents to the conversation? If they were involved, then what exactly has changed?

yea... but it was already approved so that explanation never made any sense.

It makes sense. The city made a deal with the West End NIMBYs ... the height was reduced at North Station in exchange for a taller tower at the Garden Garage.

Menino was pushing that because at the time he thought he could get an exception from the FAA (which is doable just takes a lot of work) or at least propose tall so when it inevitably got a scale back it would still push it well above the plateau.

It makes sense. The city made a deal with the West End NIMBYs ... the height was reduced at North Station in exchange for a taller tower at the Garden Garage.

^^ Bad exchange IMO.

Back