11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

Having sat on a number of IAG's in the City, yes, it is very common to get a bunch of cut and paste letters.

Many people are basically lazy, and want others to think for them.

JeffDowntown -- No most people are ignorant -- I could handle lazy

Case in point -- the GE "Solar Veil" -- at the BRA meeting pseudo-scientist NIMBYS and BANANAs babbled endlessly about Hurricane Sandy and Climate Change on one hand and then trashed the height and shape of the Solar Veil on the other

The most telling comment was elicited by my asking "GE" is the solar veil aimed in any particular direction and GE said South of course and there was a murmur in the room

A NIM or BAN then asked GE could you lower the peak of the Veil to kind of make it a flat top and so I answered for GE -- sure if you tilted the axis of the planet -- it went over the heads of the NIms and BANs

GE then elaborated that of course you could tilt the individual panels -- but the other function of the Solar Veil is to reduce heat gain and you can't have both peak electricity and shade to reduce the heat gain without the angle being set by our Latitude

So despite fundamental ignorance -- the NIMs and BANs are true believers in some computer model's prediction of a 15 foot storm tide in 2107

well, that escalated quickly.

retry;

more bad news for big projects in this part of Downtown Boston....

http://realestate.boston.com/new-de...ources-list/?s_campaign=bg:hp:well:realestate

i would like to make an appeal the AB Overlords for a bit of latitude - lest we incite snarky (or worse/inasmuch as the post/s themselves being sent to the abyss)..... or other types of unfortunate responses...

Brothers and Sisters; While it's morbidly distasteful to discuss radical, nonsensical, political 'inventions' that would derail large-scale developments such as 1 Bromfield St and 533 Washington St for years.... that we would use these 'situations' as a pretext for bumping a thread.....

The enemy is strong; Therefore; we must be stronger. The anti-development crowd are using these skeevy tricks to run out the clock..... with, God forbid, the end result being the death of the project/s themselves.

Whether a development is poorly conceived – or not, there exists a quasi-activist 'yimby' element (however deplorable) who must be kept in the loop about all nefarious activities. Knowledge is paramount to their struggle.

I have some sympathy for the argument Preservation Massachusetts is making here, and I think they’ve done good work at times, both in Boston proper and elsewhere in the Commonwealth.

However, the article cites Millennium Place and Millennium Tower as examples for this quote:

What got the area a spot on the list this year is the concern that big developments like those will take away from the neighborhood’s historic charm. Preservation Massachusetts would also like to draw attention to the many historic buildings in the area that could use some renovations.

Um, Millennium Place replaced a parking lot that had been a parking lot for a long time. The parking lot was detracting from the neighborhood’s historic charm. I would argue that the new building is a very good example of a modern structure that both looks good in and of itself (considered outside of its context) and also nicely complements the historic charm (considering it IN its context). There’s a spectacular example right across Washington from M Place, and I like the way the Washington streetscape looks now. Others might disagree, but even if you really hate Millennium Place’s architecture, it’s hard to say it takes away from historic charm as much as the pre-existing parking lot (unless you REALLY despise the new building).

Millennium Tower replaced the ugly ass-end of a failed department store. One could certainly argue that the Tower part of the development, and the massive profits generated there, was the critical component that made possible the very excellent renovation of the Burnham Building (Filene’s). That was one of the most critically important acts of historic preservation in Boston we’re likely to see over any twenty year span. Could the renovation part have happened without the new Tower part? Perhaps, but it did not in fact happen that way, the City used its leverage to tie the two together.
The Millennium Tower is great in and of itself, though I don’t yet think its streetscape portion does as good a job of complementing the existing streetscape as well as Millennium Place (while not being bad at it), and I must note that there’s nothing like the Paramount Theater across from the M Tower. But still, it’s not a streetscape failure in my eyes, just maybe not as much of a success as M Place. When it’s all done and open, maybe I’ll like it better. It sure as hell is better than the ugly ass-end of the Filene’s annex that it replaced.

So, while having some sympathy for Pres MA’s goals, their choice of examples is pretty ridiculous. I don’t know if that was the article writer’s decision or someone at Pres MA (that quote up above is of the arcile, it was not a quote within the article of a Pres MA spokesperson).

This was a quote of someone from the Boston Preservation Alliance (distinct group from Preservation MA):

“The listing will assist the Alliance and partners as we advocate for thoughtful investment that considers the important role of preserving the special character of this neighborhood during this period of rapid development.”

Excellent goal, I applaud them for having it. My best two examples of how to do it right? Millennium Place and Millennium Tower. I am sensing a disconnect between what they see and what I see, even though we seem to be looking at the same things.

^ West, very, very nicely put.

There are people who benefit from the status quo (e.g., those who bought in years ago and don't want things changed). And there are people who benefit from development profits. But then there are the rest of us who just want our city to be beautiful. Unfortunately it sounds like this case of activism assumes a dichotomy, when in reality it is a trichotomy.

I took it as them citing the towers as examples of buildings that may continue to be built to the detriment of the historic fabric of the ladder district, not them saying that those towers themselves are an issue. For example, tearing down the Payless building to replace it with a tower, or other not-significant-by-themselves-but-part-of-a-larger-whole historic commercial buildings.

I don't think anyone would have an issue with, say, the. Verizon building biting the dust, or other 1-4 storey buildings.

One Bromfield should keep the foot locker facade. Sure it's not the Burnham building but it is better than the streetfront proposed in the original proposal.

Great news! Thanks for sharing!

This is great news!

I don't feel sorry for the "One Bromfield" developer either. The height of the project was fine, but the street level treatment was arrogant beyond belief.

I took it as them citing the towers as examples of buildings that may continue to be built to the detriment of the historic fabric of the ladder district, not them saying that those towers themselves are an issue.

Yes but why are we against buildings being built if its the right building for the right parcel? They are making sweeping generalizations about a trend being allowed to continue...

If we're smart about what we approve and what we don't approve, it is not necessary to frame this as a trend...it's just about approving things that should be approved and not approving things that shouldn't.

I took it as them citing the towers as examples of buildings that may continue to be built to the detriment of the historic fabric of the ladder district, not them saying that those towers themselves are an issue. For example, tearing down the Payless building to replace it with a tower, or other not-significant-by-themselves-but-part-of-a-larger-whole historic commercial buildings.

I don't think anyone would have an issue with, say, the. Verizon building biting the dust, or other 1-4 storey buildings.

On re-reading, I see what you're saying, but ... I think you're maybe being too generous on what the writer was getting at. But you might be right, maybe the article writer skewed their comments and the preservationists were trying to phrase it as you suggest.

That Payless building is smack in the grey zone for me. If there were five such buildings extending up each street from the corner, and all with facades in salvageable condition, I'd want them saved with the new tower's façade set back a bit. If everything was one-story junk, then yeah, wipe it out and start over. As it is, you've got the decent Payless façade abutted on either side by junk. Not a clear call either way. If it all got razed for really good new architecture, I could live with it. If just the Payless got saved in a way that didn't look like pure kitschy façade-ism, that'd be fine too, though only saving that one bit would be harder to do than if there was a row of decent historic fabric.

One Bromfield should keep the foot locker facade. Sure it's not the Burnham building but it is better than the streetfront proposed in the original proposal.

I see what you did there. That's gonna leave a mark.

Well, maybe I detected sarcasm where none was intended.

He said the Foot Locker façade was better than the new one proposed. The foot locker façade seems to be the most disposable crap of that entire block. I thought I was detecting a subtle but pretty savage sarcastic put-down of the proposed new building's street level façade, which I agree was not good (upper part of the proposal was way better).

Again, maybe it was just my reading of it.

Are you talking about the Payless facade? The Footlocker facade is the next block over.

(And the Payless facade is fine, just needs some TLC)

Ah, we DO have a miscommunication, on my part. I thought he was referring to the building with the ex-City Sports, within the same One Bromfield proposal footprint, and truly a dog of a building.

My bad, sorry for the confusion.

The Foot Locker building is great, as are the next several adjacent to it along Washington.

But back to tysmith's comment: the foot locker building isn't within the one bromfield proposal footprint, is it? I don't think so. So that building's not at risk under the One Bromfield proposal.

I actually kinda dig the City Sports facade too. It's got a kinda cool Deco-Modern thing going on. Someone posted a photo of the building back in day recently, but I forget what thread it was in. I would love to see something built up behind it, but it would be nice if they could save the facade.

Yah I think I mixed up the facades. I meant the Payless building. The street level on the one Bromfield in the original proposal was horrible. Hopefully the developer improves this in their next proposal.

I'd like the see the same general tower height/design, except with the Payless Building incorporated into the base. (and somehow or other an improvement on the prior traffic situation)

One B has enough to deal with—the harpies at 45 Province and everyone else with their knives out to eviscerate it or stop it outright—without having a block of unremarkable small buildings thrown in as another roadblock. The proposed Washington St facade and a bit of Bromfield have 2 floors of floor to ceiling glass which make for a decent, animated streetscape (far more animated than it is today.)

Back