11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

Finally!..we will see One Bromfield REVEALED....next Tuesday night at the latest. The BCDC monthly meeting is next Tuesday, Apr.5, 5:15-8:50pm. (City Hall-room 900-9th floor) I'm hoping the company does a release before then. One Bromfield will be the last item discussed, from 8:20-8:50pm.
That can only mean one thing: They are saving the best for last!

This is very strange. The developer hasn't even filed the Letter of Intent, never mind initiate the Article 80 Large Project Review process, and yet the project is being reviewed by BCDC. That is not the usual sequence at all. I suspect that it may mean a very bold design that they are hoping (expecting?) will be enthusiastically received by BCDC. Then again the last part may simply be wishful thinking on my part.

A lot of people thought Garden Garage was dead....

but it was approved months before the formal announcement and drama.

This one's going to the playoffs straight out of the gate.

These damn New Yorkers always playing it close to the chest.

This is definitely a difference that appears in New York. It always surprises me how on Skyscraperpage people in the New York section will be asking if renders with the final design have been released while construction has been going on for awhile and steel is going up.

This project was submitted to the BRA quite some time ago so this should be a "Notice of Project Change".

There was never any formal submission of this project to the BRA. Consequently no Notice of Project Change.

Re: 28-story tower planned for Downtown Crossing

Developer files plan for Downtown Crossing tower
Boston Business Journal - by Michelle Hillman

New York-based Midwood Management Corp. is moving forward with its plan to build a 28-story tower in Boston?s Downtown Crossing neighborhood.

In a project first announced this summer by Mayor Thomas M. Menino, Midwood plans to tear down four buildings and replace the corner with a 407,000-square-foot tower. The tower will include: 49,000 square feet of retail space in the basement and first and second floors; 192 parking spaces on the next three floors; 276 residential units as well as amenities and a lobby for residents.

The proposed tower is located at the corner of Washington and Bromfield Streets and is adjacent to the redevelopment of the former Filene?s site. Demolition of the four existing buildings ? where the current Payless Shoes is located ? is expected to begin in March of 2010. Construction is expected to last 30 months, according to the filing with the Boston Redevelopment Authority. The project is expected to cost $200 million to develop.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2008/11/03/daily10.html

^^This post from 2010 shows the project was filed with the BRA, so it looks like this should fall under "Notice of project change". More recently, they've been working with the BRA as well...... I can't make the Tuesday meeting. It would be great if someone attends and posts pics, like someone did for the North Station reveal. Nothing like getting the scoop before the rest of the world. :)

Updated Boston.com article:

I think it is a good thing that the plan to retain the property after they build. I would assume that it would give them more of an incentive to use quality materials. But people with more experience with real estate might know differently?

^^Posts from 2010 state that Midwood retains properties they develop, instead of selling them to investors, and they plan on doing the same with this proposal. There were some posts recently that suggested this could be a "pump and dump" plan, but it doesn't seem to be the case here. I hope this equates to a quality development. One thing's for sure, the previous $200 million price tag (for the 28 story tower plan) is sure to jump as dramatically as the height of the new proposal.

^^This post from 2010 shows the project was filed with the BRA, so it looks like this should fall under "Notice of project change". More recently, they've been working with the BRA as well...... I can't make the Tuesday meeting. It would be great if someone attends and posts pics, like someone did for the North Station reveal. Nothing like getting the scoop before the rest of the world. :)

A letter of intent may have been filed but the project did not go through the Article 80 review process. A Notice of Project Change is required when a project changes materially from what was reviewed during Large Project Review under Article 80.

Pump and dump wouldn't surprise me at all. Millennium partners are pretty much the only firm betting on residential in DTX. Plus the long tail on this thing, I'm sure they're looking for a return sooner than later.

A letter of intent may have been filed but the project did not go through the Article 80 review process. A Notice of Project Change is required when a project changes materially from what was reviewed during Large Project Review under Article 80.

^I apologize, I saw that the project was filed with the BRA way back when, but I didn't know the particulars.

^I apologize, I saw that the project was filed with the BRA way back when, but I didn't know the particulars.

No need to apologize. I think we are all looking forward to seeing this proposal. The anticipation has been so high. I hope we are not setting ourselves up for a big letdown.

710' ain't happenin without a fight.

i'm all in on one of the last of the last places to eclipse 656 feet 2 inches.

Pump and dump wouldn't surprise me at all. Millennium partners are pretty much the only firm betting on residential in DTX. Plus the long tail on this thing, I'm sure they're looking for a return sooner than later.

You're kidding, right? Here's a list of non-Millennium Partners firms betting on residential in DTX, if you define DTX as everything east of the Common, south of City Hall Plaza, north of Chinatown (Boylston/Essex St. corridor), west of PO Square Park/Garage.

--Related Beal's Congress Square project
--Midwood, with this project. What firm evidence do you have that it would be a "pump and dump"? Has Midwood ever specialized in doing that before?
--171 Tremont St. project
--533 Washington St. project
--All of the submissions on Winthrop Sq. Garage that include a sizable residential component (I'm guessing at least half of them, aside from Millennium Partners' submission).

And this is just the future pipeline. To ignore the residential bet that was made on DTX over the past 5-10 years--again, excluding Millennium Partners--is odd, to say the least.

I guess it's just my general mistrust of ny development firms (vornado) and the way that this one has been proceeding.

I hope they just build a great tower with retail that improves the area.

Lastly, and sadly pretty much everything you mentioned hasn't been built only proposed with the exception of related beal which is under construction but that one is more retail, hotel, office oriented.

True big residential projects have almost only been MP, basically if you take away MP and the projects they've built that whole area becomes Chelsea.

True big residential projects have almost only been MP, basically if you take away MP and the projects they've built that whole area becomes Chelsea.

I'm sorry, that's just not true, that is, if you're willing to stretch your definition of DTX to include south of Boylston/Essex Street corridor (and I bet most people would these days).

Kensington Tower (659 Washington St.)--381 units
Avalon Theater District (45 Stuart St.)--398 units
Liberty Tree Building (630 Washington St.)--40 units
Hamilton Crossing (8 Winter St.)--48 units
Radian (120 Kingston)--240 units

That's just the past 3 years, and that's still well over 1,000 units. Take it back a decade, and include the numerous projects that were in the 5-40 unit range, and you'll have much more.

As for "the whole area becomes Chelsea"... I'm sorry, but do you really believe that? Any single of the dozens of skyscraper in DTX contains more employees, with more companies, generating more GDP, than all of Chelsea. Please.

I'm sorry, that's just not true, that is, if you're willing to stretch your definition of DTX to include south of Boylston/Essex Street corridor (and I bet most people would these days).

Kensington Tower (659 Washington St.)--381 units
Avalon Theater District (45 Stuart St.)--398 units
Liberty Tree Building (630 Washington St.)--40 units
Hamilton Crossing (8 Winter St.)--48 units
Radian (120 Kingston)--240 units

That's just the past 3 years, and that's still well over 1,000 units. Take it back a decade, and include the numerous projects that were in the 5-40 unit range, and you'll have much more.

As for "the whole area becomes Chelsea"... I'm sorry, but do you really believe that? Any single of the dozens of skyscraper in DTX contains more employees, with more companies, generating more GDP, than all of Chelsea. Please.

Maybe you're right, but the area without MIllenium partners, without ritz 1 and 2, MP, or MT is a very different place. I hope midwood moves forward, however if they didn't and just sold off the permits/land it wouldn't surprise me.

I guess it's just my general mistrust of ny development firms (vornado) and the way that this one has been proceeding.

I hope they just build a great tower with retail that improves the area.

Lastly, and sadly pretty much everything you mentioned hasn't been built only proposed with the exception of related beal which is under construction but that one is more retail, hotel, office oriented.

I'm confused. Isn't Millennium Partners also NY?

Ok so only developers from NJ are bad...here's to hoping that this building looks great and the area further transforms into an exciting destination.

Back