11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

You're right. A sleek new tower? Nope. Horrible idea. Let's keep an ugly, shitty Payless Shoestore in tact. Oh, and the long abandoned CitySports.

Crackheads.

Yea if I remember correct there is a nice building but its not that one.

You're right. A sleek new tower? Nope. Horrible idea. Let's keep an ugly, shitty Payless Shoestore in tact. Oh, and the long abandoned CitySports.

You are confusing tenants with buildings. Tenants can and will change. Once you tear down a prewar, human-scaled building, it's not coming back.

I liked everything about the tower, but turning Bromfield Street into a driveway was inexcusable.

I agree, they'll wait out the potential zoning changes here. A shame the developers don't own the Pi Alley Garage...

Crackheads.

What a completely well-reasoned response, and good thinking with regard to why Bromfield Street should be damaged for the sake of jacking off about height.

What a completely well-reasoned response, and good thinking with regard to why Bromfield Street should be damaged for the sake of jacking off about height.

My guess is you rarely leave Cambridge.

I walk down this street daily. Currently, it's a dump. Mostly abandoned/empty retail. The only non-horrible thing is Silvertone up the street.
vKLRiInsNFvGnSu3ahhbB_qj5JWv2F1LAOiZMqIhvDI.jpg

I walk down this street daily. Currently, it's a dump. Mostly abandoned/empty retail. The only non-horrible thing is Silvertone up the street.
vKLRiInsNFvGnSu3ahhbB_qj5JWv2F1LAOiZMqIhvDI.jpg

Totally agree...this is the most depressing part of Boston to walk around... it’s just disgusting. It has a ton of potential I think they should knock down that corner and proceed with a retail/tower proposal. Although a driveway is definitely unacceptable. One of the best parts of Boston imo is the mix of old and new, this corner, opposite MT could enhance the overall feel of the neighborhood. The rest of nieghborhood needs better retail and more housing.

Totally agree...this is the most depressing part of Boston to walk around... it’s just disgusting. It has a ton of potential I think they should knock down that corner and proceed with a retail/tower proposal. Although a driveway is definitely unacceptable.

I use Bromfield daily too. The point is that Bromfield deserves BETTER than what is there now and the One Bromfield proposal was not better - in fact it made Bromfield into its driveway, offered no retail on Bromfield and completely lost the human scale with a monolithic futurist base.

Also, yes, I love the Silvertone too (amazing tips), but there's also Shedd's BBQ in the old Rico space that has been thriving.

If that corner was occupied by a non-chain, local restaurant, bar, coffee shop, etc it would be one of the most beloved corners in the city.

I don't like the Payless store and jewelry shops either, but you are trying to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Totally agree...this is the most depressing part of Boston to walk around... it’s just disgusting. It has a ton of potential I think they should knock down that corner and proceed with a retail/tower proposal. Although a driveway is definitely unacceptable. One of the best parts of Boston imo is the mix of old and new, this corner, opposite MT could enhance the overall feel of the neighborhood. The rest of nieghborhood needs better retail and more housing.

Call me crazy but the asymmetrical, ill-matched, incongruous, unsuited, incompatible, patched together elements contributing to the block's overall, gritty appearance is just fine with me.

People seem to love Payless for its convenience and utility. But the Payless logo is ugly and harms the building's appearance.

A number of people, myself included admire the boldness of the proposal. The height is certainly spectacular. But the developer seemed to convey ill regard for the past 90 or 100 years of block's existence which some/all of the BCDC apparently found reviling..... must not have sit well once they had the opportunity to discuss the building among-st themselves.

The tower portion of this itself was possibly the boldest, best looking proposal that Boston has ever had. Do people disagree with this?

However, the podium totally sucked. I'd like to see the corner building somehow preserved with a facadectomy to keep that Boston feel. They also need to treat Bromfield better than a driveway.

In short, this proposal had a lot of problems, but the tower wasn't one of them.

Right. Put the tower in place of any nearby garage and I'm 100% on board (with a redesigned podium). Just not on that block.

I've actually lived in Revere for a while, sorry I don't keep my profile up to date for people who like to guess wrong about a lot of things. I currently work in Charlestown, but worked downtown (up until very recently) for years, and have spent my time at a bunch of businesses on Bromfield. I was last there on Tuesday.

Because you're apparently fairly dense, let me restate it in a way you might be able to understand: Bromfield has a very nice human scale to it, and shouldn't be destroyed with a tower that doesn't give a shit about the street its on. I'm FINE WITH HEIGHT here, and with ATTRACTING NEW BUSINESS.

*That doesn't require taking a dump on the form of the street itself.*

Try reading to understand instead of assuming next time. They can go 60 stories here for all I care, but the relative fine-grain, human-scale streetscape should not be eradicated in the rush for height fetishists to cream their pants.

While i wholly agree with those posting about preserving the block in every way reasonably possible, you seem to be preoccupied with jerking off and sperm donations.

What that has to do with proponents for a city nearly out of land for highrises going vertical where appropriate is beyond me.

Ok, you get accused by your friend Miles of having your bike there, riding home and whacking off in a humiliating way in front of your friends..... but the solution is also explained by Miles (later, privately); that once in a while, say 'what the fuck.' Jerking off (something apparently you mention often) is not the answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRLP7r6OuYE

I suppose it wasn't as classy a response as inferring that people who think this proposal's base was bad are necessarily consumers of crack cocaine, but I do my best.

.....What that has to do with proponents for a city nearly out of land for highrises going vertical where appropriate is beyond me......

It can go vertical without completely botching the street level interaction. The last proposal had a very callous treatment of Bromfield Street and the podium didn't fit its surroundings. The tower itself would be unbelievable but it needs to play nicer with its neighbors and respect the location a little more.

Kung fu video is a Boston staple. This block definitely isn't "abandoned." Grit and cheap stores are necessary in a city not everything should be luxury coffeeshops and condos.

Kung fu video is a Boston staple. This block definitely isn't "abandoned." Grit and cheap stores are necessary in a city not everything should be luxury coffeeshops and condos.

Half the block is vacant storefronts...there’s literally no reason to be there maybe other than roche and primark..I’d love to see bromfield and Washington fully occupied and that corner is the missing link. Also agree the area doesn’t need anymore luxury coffee shops. I’d love to see the tower go up with none or minimal parking like a cheaper version of lovejoy wharf (although sadly I doubt it would be cheaper).

Half the block is vacant storefronts...there’s literally no reason to be there maybe other than roche and primark..I’d love to see bromfield and Washington fully occupied and that corner is the missing link. Also agree the area doesn’t need anymore luxury coffee shops. I’d love to see the tower go up with none or minimal parking like a cheaper version of lovejoy wharf (although sadly I doubt it would be cheaper).

Unfortunately, I don't think Lovejoy Wharf will be model that is copied in Boston any time soon.

Yeah, well I happen to like a $2 draft of cheap bear at Sidebar if it's alright with you. Boston Brewin' makes a nice latte. Etc. Remember we're primarily talking about the impact on Bromfield here, not Washington.

Back