121 Seaport Boulevard | Parcel L2 | Seaport Square

Re: Seaport Square (Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels)

The Silverline is bus: Hows traffic doing these days. More and more

Re: 121 Seaport Boulevard | Seaport Square

This is the next project for Skanska at 121 Seaport Blvd which is the next block south of the 101 Seaport Blvd tower project. At least no one can say it's a glass box.

kpj4L0k.jpg

ZWu82Dn.jpg

DQ3zmWu.jpg

For page two

Anyone know what the top will look like flat,slanted,round?

With the podium being basically a 2 level mall, I'd expect that lobby glass to be much less opaque with plenty of visible signage and other things to draw in pedestrians. I could be wrong, and if it's a gigantic oversized useless office lobby I'll join the pissed off group. Til then, high hopes.

The lobby is completely useless, but its still a miracle were getting something like this and not another plain box. Ill take it, its a step in the right direction. Lets just keep moving in that direction.

The lobby is completely useless, but its still a miracle were getting something like this and not another plain box. Ill take it, its a step in the right direction. Lets just keep moving in that direction.

I think it's up to the company paying over $100/sqf to determine whether they find a huge lobby "useless". The building is for them, after all.

I agree on the design, though. I'll have to wait to see how I find the lobby from the street. I don't inherently hate lobbies.

I realized today that one will have a good view of this building coming down Oliver Street towards the Greenway, since 101 Seaport Blvd is pushed back.

A bit off the mainline -- but -- Skansa has received tentative approval for an new office building on BRA land at the entrance to the Marine Industrial Park

BBJ today

[QUOTE}
Skanska expanding Seaport work with Marine Industrial Park office building
May 18, 2015, 10:54am EDT
Catherine Carlock
Boston Business Journal

The explosive development of Boston’s Seaport district is inching further south with Skanska USA’s plans for an office building in the Marine Industrial Park.

Skanska USA Commercial Development has received tentative approval from the Boston Redevelopment Authority to lease and develop a 215,000-square-foot office with first-floor retail, the BRA said after its May board meeting.

Parcel Q-1 is a triangular parcel located off Drydock Avenue adjacent to the Marine Industrial Park’s entrance off Summer Street. The parcel, which is owned by the BRA, is one of just two parcels in the entire 191-acre park where development is not limited to marine or industrial uses. Skanska itself declined to comment on its plans.
[/quote]

Why such a large podium (area wise) for a ~17 st. building?

^ That was my first thought. IMO it would be better proportioned if it came down like a glass shard to street level, no podium.

Perhaps the podium is large because that's where the mechanicals and electrical are, elevated above storm surge. Logan just announced it will be spending millions moving electrical infrastructure up a floor or two.

There was a recent situation in DC where a building basement flooded, and the water traveled through conduit pipe to then flood electrical vaults hundreds of yards away from the flooded building.

Overthinking.

Mega-blocks = build over entire site to maximize ROI. Podium of retail and commercial space per write up on previous page. Assume set back allows for roof deck either for food, office users, or mix of both. The higher the tables, the higher the bill.

No developer (it would seem) is willing to leave money on the table. If you have a 3 acre site, you build a 2.75 acre building. Just be glad it does get smaller as it goes up.

Overthinking.

Mega-blocks = build over entire site to maximize ROI. Podium of retail and commercial space per write up on previous page. Assume set back allows for roof deck either for food, office users, or mix of both. The higher the tables, the higher the bill.

No developer (it would seem) is willing to leave money on the table. If you have a 3 acre site, you build a 2.75 acre building. Just be glad it does get smaller as it goes up.

Well said, but I think it goes even further than that: Because funding is almost entirely institutional and/or market-based these days, the relationship between financiers and developers is largely contract driven, and as a result each developer is legally obligated to not leave a single dollar on the table. REITS, pension funds, asset managers....they're all (necessarily) thinking in terms of fiduciary obligations to their shareholders/beneficiaries, and therefore they HAVE to pressurize the developers, who pressurize the architects, etc.

Rare is the corporate entity these days that is not 'market funded' (fidelity, liberty mutual, and the universities being among the notable local exceptions) .... That's why these buildings look mass produced, it's because they're commoditized financial products first, with the 'brick and mortar' being (as a matter of contractual obligation among dozens of parties) only incidental to the cash flow....

I'm really interested to see the ground floor plan-- I wonder how many cylindrical towers like the one rendered could have fit on this site if each was a building unto itself.

Perhaps the podium is large because that's where the mechanicals and electrical are, elevated above storm surge. Logan just announced it will be spending millions moving electrical infrastructure up a floor or two.

There was a recent situation in DC where a building basement flooded, and the water traveled through conduit pipe to then flood electrical vaults hundreds of yards away from the flooded building.

Stel -- its worthwhile to be prudent in such siting as the cost is minimal but the impact of a failure is immense -- for example by locating critical equipment too low:

• New Orleans -- motors for the pumps, emergency command post -- Hurricane Katrina -- 2005
  • Fukushima Daiichi -- diesel powered emergency core cooling system, battery back-ups -- 2011 - Tsunami

In both cases the cost of moving equipment up a few meters was $M while the losses that were due in part to these failures were in the $10B's

Does L2 come all the way out to this intersection? That's a big space to fill.

17956481208_b2b374e7b6_c.jpg

Does L2 come all the way out to this intersection? That's a big space to fill.

No, there's another plot (M) between East Service Rd. and B.

Back