30 Dalton St. Residences | Back Bay

Rather than say anything needlessly disparaging, I will just remark that it seems to be inspired by the Hilton across the street.

This building's neighbors, the Sheraton and Hilton, are some of the ugliest skyscrapers in the city. In terms of massing and facade, this building doesn't need to do very much to make me happy.

It's amazing that they are building this with only 21 parking spaces. Never thought I would see the day. They are providing a ton of bike spaces too.

1) drive steel or concrete piles to bed rock or at least the deep marine or glacial clay -- the approach of the Pru & Hancock
2) build slurry walls or drive sheet piles then excavate and pour a thick slab -- the approach of the MIT Student Center -- essentially your basements are the hull of a boat
3) drive wooden piles into the mud and then set your building on top -- the approach of Richardson for Trinity Church

From what seems to be happening -- it looks like it could be #2 with a pit to be excavated and a mat to be poured.

FYI:
The perimeter steel sheeting is already installed to allow earth retention for the excavation. These steel piles are the column supports. After driving these piles, the site will be excavated to below the garage level, then concrete will start at the bottom and work up.

1) drive steel or concrete piles to bed rock or at least the deep marine or glacial clay -- the approach of the Pru & Hancock
2) build slurry walls or drive sheet piles then excavate and pour a thick slab -- the approach of the MIT Student Center -- essentially your basements are the hull of a boat
3) drive wooden piles into the mud and then set your building on top -- the approach of Richardson for Trinity Church

From what seems to be happening -- it looks like it could be #2 with a pit to be excavated and a mat to be poured.

FYI:
The perimeter steel sheeting is already installed to allow earth retention for the excavation. These steel piles are the column supports. After driving these piles, the site will be excavated to below the garage level, then concrete will start at the bottom and work up.

MotoB -- I see cranes and steel sticking out of the ground -- I don't see a pile driver

Please note photos shown in #'s 34 and 38 of this thread.

Beeline -- those photos seem to show the small scale pile driving for the perimeter sheet piles

The Big H Girders would seem to have materialized in place -- Aliens?

I really don't know much about what different pieces of construction equipment do, but the crane in my photo (post #45) has an attachment on it that was definitely drilling, or at least pushing down into the ground.

I really don't know much about what different pieces of construction equipment do, but the crane in my photo (post #45) has an attachment on it that was definitely drilling, or at least pushing down into the ground.

Its a vibratory hammer. It uses vibration to push steel piles into the ground. No as loud as the pile driver which uses a hammer to bang the steel into the ground.

Clarity:

There are several separate operations shown in the photos:

#34: drilling shafts by removing soil & replacing with concrete (west side only) for water cutoff, about 46 feet deep.

#38: steel sheeting for east, south & north perimeters only is laying on the ground and crane to install is being assembled). For water cutoff AND earth retention for excavation later.

#45: Crane shows vibratory head vibrating steel H-piles to rock, about 140 feet deep. This replaces a "pile-driver".

Mat and Moto thanks for the information. It's nice to know what I've been looking at.
Thanks, much appreciated.

Mat and Moto thanks for the information. It's nice to know what I've been looking at.
Thanks, much appreciated.

So as of today, Jan. 9, they have the site surrounded with water cutoff piles to the west and steel sheeting other 3 sides. They are driving (vibrating) all the 140-foot steel H-piles from grade. When done, they will excavate about 20 feet down, cutoff the piles and make concrete pile caps, grade beams, walls and a basement slab. They will then form the walls and columns for each floor of concrete for 27 floors.

So as of today, Jan. 9, they have the site surrounded with water cutoff piles to the west and steel sheeting other 3 sides. They are driving (vibrating) all the 140-foot steel H-piles from grade. When done, they will excavate about 20 feet down, cutoff the piles and make concrete pile caps, grade beams, walls and a basement slab. They will then form the walls and columns for each floor of concrete for 27 floors.

Moto: Now that I look closely at the most recent photo -- I can see the "vibratory Hammer" as an appendage hanging from the larger crane

Are the H sections being welded or bolted to reach the bedrock level?

Keep the updates coming -- its great to have someone who is either on-site, or has access to actual information instead of rumour and speculation

Moto: Now that I look closely at the most recent photo -- I can see the "vibratory Hammer" as an appendage hanging from the larger crane

Are the H sections being welded or bolted to reach the bedrock level?

Keep the updates coming -- its great to have someone who is either on-site, or has access to actual information instead of rumour and speculation

the shipping constraint keeps the length to 70 feet. They vibrate in a dozen or so bottoms then weld splice another 70 footer to each and vibrate to rock. After vibrating, they have to restrike with an impact hammer to meet the criteria.

No pics, but I saw today a couple of these beams that appeared to be a solid 50' in the air, while most of the others were only maybe 5' out of the ground. Does that just mean they were in the process of being (vibration) hammered in? There wasn't any equipment or work being done at that particular second, so I found it a little odd to see those 2 beams.

No pics, but I saw today a couple of these beams that appeared to be a solid 50' in the air, while most of the others were only maybe 5' out of the ground. Does that just mean they were in the process of being (vibration) hammered in? There wasn't any equipment or work being done at that particular second, so I found it a little odd to see those 2 beams.

Yes. The crews worked yesterday, Saturday. The way they left it is what you see today. The tall H-piles are each the "tops", the 2nd 70-footer welded to the 1st one, the "bottom". The 5-footers could be either the tops of the 1st pile or the tops of the 2nd pile welded to it.

Some renders I haven't seen from the Pei Cobb Freed website:
1215-1.jpg

1215-4.jpg

1215-5.jpg

Back