30 Dalton St. Residences | Back Bay

anyone know what this didn't go taller? It seems it will just get lost amongst the similar height towers surrounding it

Demand + zoning is my guess. Not every building should or can even be a super tall.

I'm surprised the building was even approved as tall as it is. It directly abuts a row of brownstones. I think 20 stories is the right height for it, since it is at the end of the row and not in the middle. It allows it to relate to both the Prudential Center area towers (including the new 1 Dalton) as well as the brownstones by being the middle ground in height. It's a nice "stepping up" effect as we like to say.

Last edited:
I'm surprised the building was even approved as tall as it is. It directly abuts a row of brownstones. I think 20 stories is the right height for it, since it is at the end of the row and not in the middle. It allows it to relate to both the Prudential Center area towers as well as the brownstones by being the middle ground in height. It's a nice "stepping up" effect as we like to say.

So by that logic, the 20 story Cityview apartments in Mission Hill Triangle is a nice step up from the brownstones of Worthington Street to the proposed 385-foot tower there. Success!!! ;)

So by that logic, the 20 story Cityview apartments in Mission Hill Triangle is a nice step up from the brownstones of Worthington Street to the proposed 385-foot tower there. Success!!! ;)

Give it up, for god sakes. This is a different site entirely. I clearly worded my response to say why it is right for this site:
"since it is at the end of the row and not in the middle"

anyone know what this didn't go taller? It seems it will just get lost amongst the similar height towers surrounding it

Boston -- I'm guessing that the Christian Scientist Church [CSC] didn't want real tall close to their most iconic structures

Remember that CSC didn't sell the land they leased the ground to the developer -- as a result CSC can exercise substantial control

Boston -- I'm guessing that the Christian Scientist Church [CSC] didn't want real tall close to their most iconic structures

Remember that CSC didn't sell the land they leased the ground to the developer -- as a result CSC can exercise substantial control

WRONG! CSC DID SELL the land.....for both 30 Dalton & One Dalton.

mb

WRONG! CSC DID SELL the land.....for both 30 Dalton & One Dalton.

mb

Moto -- you sound authoritative -- but I think that you are wrong

THE OWNER: Christian Science Church
THE DEVELOPER: Carpenter & Co.
THE TENANT: Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts
THE ARCHITECTS: Cambridge Seven Associates and Henry N. Cobb

that's why there will be no bars at ground level and possibly no CVS pharmacy with a MinuteClinic :)

Its not taller because a taller 30 Dalton would lower the price of the residences at the Four Seasons.

1) drive steel or concrete piles to bed rock or at least the deep marine or glacial clay -- the approach of the Pru & Hancock
2) build slurry walls or drive sheet piles then excavate and pour a thick slab -- the approach of the MIT Student Center -- essentially your basements are the hull of a boat
3) drive wooden piles into the mud and then set your building on top -- the approach of Richardson for Trinity Church

From what seems to be happening -- it looks like it could be #2 with a pit to be excavated and a mat to be poured.

FYI:
The perimeter steel sheeting is already installed to allow earth retention for the excavation. These steel piles are the column supports. After driving these piles, the site will be excavated to below the garage level, then concrete will start at the bottom and work up.

Moto -- while we are dealing with errors

Re: Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay
01-07-2015, 05:51 PM #916
whighlander

3 choices for building big on top of a filled swamp aka the Back Bay:
  • 1) drive steel or concrete piles to bed rock or at least the deep marine or glacial clay -- the approach of the Pru & Hancock
  • 2) build slurry walls or drive sheet piles then excavate and pour a thick slab -- the approach of the MIT Student Center -- essentially your basements are the hull of a boat
  • 3) drive wooden piles into the mud and then set your building on top -- the approach of Richardson for Trinity Church

From what seems to be happening -- it looks like it could be #2 with a pit to be excavated and a mat to be poured

i thought that the references to both the MIT Student Center and Trinity Church was a bit too coincidental

and then there were:
  • "concrete piles to bed rock" -- should be "concrete piles to bedrock"
  • the grammatical error " your basements are the hull of a boat" which should be "your basements are the hulls of boats" or, "your basement is the hull of a boat"

Perhaps you might want to correct the error of omission of attribution to the original post -- ;)

Yep, the Registry of Deeds shows a deed being filed on December 16, 2014 outlining the sale of 1-7 Dalton Street Lot 1B for $65.6 million. "One Dalton Owner" was the buyer, a corporation formed by Carpenter and Company Real Estate.

whighlander,

I have nothing to correct: the words you seem to be attributing to me are not mine, they are a quote from a previous message.

And, the CSC SOLD the 2 parcels to new owners, easily verifiable at Registry of Deeds.

MB

whighlander,

I have nothing to correct: the words you seem to be attributing to me are not mine, they are a quote from a previous message.

And, the CSC SOLD the 2 parcels to new owners, easily verifiable at Registry of Deeds.

MB

Moto -- I stand corrected on both my allegations

However, its worth taking this opportunity to reiterate the concerns over copyright

While the AB Forum is a permanent work in progress subject to post edits by the authors and posting is limited to those who are registered members -- everyone can access the posts

Therefore we should attempt that when copying and pasting that we know where of the source and provide some sort of attribution

Walked by this tonight. Saw the base of a crane and a lot of steel/concrete going on in the hole itself. This one is really moving quick. 1 Dalton.... not so much.

Back