315 on A | 315 A Street | Fort Point

Re: 319 A Street Rear

damn, i Love that orange on the cornice, alas it will not last.

That's how you do it. Respects the palette, windows, and materials of the surrounding buildings. Best project of 2013. Once again, a terra cotta cladding is the way to go to fit a modern building in with historic neighbors.

What terra cotta?

The tower cladding for this project is terra cotta paneling. The base is brick. Other recent Boston projects with Terra Cotta are the new Dana Farber Building, or Boston Medical Ambulatory Care Center. There are others. A couple in Cambridge.

1dana_Picture_029.jpg

^ Yup, Harvard put up two near-identical buildings next to the GSD a few years back that are simple if handsome structures. Also, isn't 45 Province terra cotta?

45 Province is and so is that group of nice new row houses on Mass Ave. But it's not a wonder drug, there are ways to use it well and ways to use it poorly.

45 Province is and so is that group of nice new row houses on Mass Ave. But it's not a wonder drug, there are ways to use it well and ways to use it poorly.

Not to get too off topic, but how the hell did Abbey Group get away with the god-awful and windowless black-bar back on 45 province? It's very visible from the Charles River and Cambridge and ruins an otherwise great building for me.

^The lots at the back are slated to eventually be developed. a la the black wall at 1330 (although the tower wont fully cover it.

Not to get too off topic, but how the hell did Abbey Group get away with the god-awful and windowless black-bar back on 45 province? It's very visible from the Charles River and Cambridge and ruins an otherwise great building for me.

This again? Zero lot line = windowless.

This project has been renamed 315 on A.

Occasional walkthrough/tours have been offered over the past week, I'd guess more to come. Contact pillion@friendsfpc.org.

Looks like photovoltaics are being installed.

vKoAsPH.jpg

This again? Zero lot line = windowless.

Yes, but the windowlessness could be handled with more grace, especially in a context where it might be two generations before the abutting property is redeveloped.

^ Yup, Harvard put up two near-identical buildings next to the GSD a few years back that are simple if handsome structures.

Self-quote! Here's the pair:

9529599272_bcce07b99a_c.jpg

Damn, you'd need to be making over $90,000 a year after taxes to contribute only a 1/3 of your income to housing in a 1bd without a den. Now I'm reminded why I live with two roommates in Somerville...

Why wouldn't people making this kind of money buy instead? It's cheaper...

Back