45 Province St | Downtown Crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 45 Province St

You know, I don't think I mind that blank wall so much anymore. It blends in just enough for me.

I concur, I honestly didn't notice it when I was taking the picture. I was won over with the proportions and height.

IMG_1855.jpg

^Good shot.

You know what's unfortunate about this building? It almost appears to be the person who came way over-dressed to the party. It's surrounded by so many dull, lifeless boxes that it seems nearly out of place. In a more diverse context, this building would look better and that's not a slight to 45 Province. I like it a lot, but if it weren't dwarfed by tasteless crap, it would look a heck of a lot better. This is VERY noticeable when looking downtown from the Tobin Bridge or from Chelsea (which is otherwise one of the best views of the city).

the last pix is nice but still hate the top and of course the black wall

Has anyone commented on how the balconies are basically quoins? The whole thing is a distorted Federalist mansion. Nicely done.

Looking at the pic showing the black wall, I have to wonder why they decided to go with the bluish/gray/black (hard to tell the real color) blank wall instead of just finishing it off with the brick red color that the rest of the building is skinned in? The red brick looks great on the rest of the building and would have looked so much better on the blank wall that's there now. It seems so simple a solution.

Excellent call Joe_Schmoe. It's really difficult to do balconies well on a large building (see: Tremont on the Common). I think this building pulls it off well.

Re: balconies... I agree, this one did them quite tastefully. I wish the end product had a bit more art moderne flair like was shown in the renderings, but that's a minor quibble.

Last edited:

You are correct with that assessment. Had the balconies been faced in terra cotta instead of exposed concrete, the art moderne aspect would have been much stronger.

Looking at the pic showing the black wall, I have to wonder why they decided to go with the bluish/gray/black (hard to tell the real color) blank wall instead of just finishing it off with the brick red color that the rest of the building is skinned in? The red brick looks great on the rest of the building and would have looked so much better on the blank wall that's there now. It seems so simple a solution.
^agree!! today from the Tobin bridge

098-4.jpg

^^^ It certainly looks great from this angle. Does anybody know how tall this building actually is? Based on its surroundings, and factoring in the hill it stands on, I'd say somewhere between 325'-340'.

^^^ It certainly looks great from this angle. Does anybody know how tall this building actually is? Based on its surroundings, and factoring in the hill it stands on, I'd say somewhere between 325'-340'.

You have to remember that the tower is on a hill. I say 310' tops.

^^^ Obviously you didn't read the part where I factored in the hill. 31 stories, plus a couple stories worth of a "crown" or whatever you want to call it... I still have to think it's more like 325'.

How about this 31 story residential in Philly that they are trying to convince us is 401' when to the naked eye it is so obviously not that tall!
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=124846&page=24
That is one of the most clearly ridiculous assessments I have ever seen.

But anyways, comparing apples to apples here, we have 2 31 story residential towers, both with a couple extra floors worth of... "top", and I just do not see how this one is only 310, and I 100% do not see how that one is 401! (even with their documents showing the "proof")

Speaking of being on a hill, keep in mind that 1 Beacon is that much farther up the hill, and how this looks in comparison to that building. Definitely taller than 310.

^ I like how slender those towers are. They look taller than they are because they have a small footprint. We need more of those, and less of the W.

^agree as long as they don't have A 31 story wall like this
108-2.jpg
109-2.jpg
111-3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back