Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 45 Province St

Today:

img1928x.jpg

I like this red:

img1929v.jpg

img1930q.jpg

I came through at possibly the worst time to be taking these next two shot..

img1931r.jpg

img1932n.jpg

img1933e.jpg

img1935w.jpg

img1936j.jpg

img1938t.jpg

Awning is cool. Turning half the block into a kerb-cut driveway? Not so much.

Awning is cool. Turning half the block into a kerb-cut driveway? Not so much.

They got the 2-3 spots in front (where the SUVs are) as valet only as well.

Unbelievable. They restore the Littlest Bar, and then do this to the rest of the street?

I wonder how all these glass awnings sprouting up hold up in winter.

It doesn't really matter what they do to the street, it doesn't get much auto traffic and not an overwhelming amount of foot traffic. You can generally just walk in the street here. Chicken little the sky isnt falling everywhere give it a rest.

I like this building on the whole and quite frankly I dont mind the black wall as much as others seem to. Compared to the atrocities around it on the skyline, this one's a beaut.

It doesn't really matter what they do to the street, it doesn't get much auto traffic and not an overwhelming amount of foot traffic. You can generally just walk in the street here. Chicken little the sky isnt falling everywhere give it a rest.

I'm not complaining because it seriously compromises the safety of pedestrians (although ironically I think even the parking garage that had been here before was not as compromising of the sidewalk). I'm complaining because I think it's fugly and hate it when ostensibly urban buildings genuflect to the car culture.

The way Province St. has been redesigned irks me too. The bulbs at the ends of the sidewalks are meant to make it safer for pedestrians, but the new yellow lines scream "this is a highway for cars". Before, the street was more like an urban room that both pedestrians and cars could negotiate - and pedestrians often ruled here.

Just compare the similarly-treated street between the two Millennium towers to one like Bromfield to see how the city is cannibalizing itself with kerb cuts and formerly pedestrian streets marked up for cars.

I might sound shrill when I complain about every little thing, but a city isn't always destroyed by some massive West End-style demolition. Sometimes it's just death by a thousand cuts.

suffolk 83 said:
Chicken little the sky isnt falling everywhere give it a rest.

Like your crying of "ACK the pessimism!" isn't annoying at all...

*anyway*

The materials and landscaping are very sumptuous in person, but also rather foreign feeling... like it just got in from some tropid locale wearing nothing but shorts and a polo. Still, it isn't a bad thing as I find the overall effect rather exotic. Boston could use more breaths of fresh air like this.

^^ Seriously?

What a waste. :(

Wait, what!? I thought they were bringing a bar (if not the Littlest) back. Ugh.

This thing is like some awesome new software that's come packaged with all kinds of awful malware and viruses.

I'm guessing various laws and regulations (ADA anyone) probably prevent them from reopening the space as a retail environment.

I don't recall the ADA forcing the Bunker Hill Monument to stop admitting tourists after its refurbishment. Why is the rule for retail any different?

I was just guessing. I actually know nothing about ADA or other building codes for that matter.

Was the Bunker Hill Monument completed demolishished and then rebuilt like the Littlest? Maybe State & Federal Monuments get some sort of exemption that private businesses do not?

I have no idea. I can't think of any other reason they would waste such a cool space.

My recollection of the interior space is that it is also served by an elevator at the end situated beneath the tower.

Probably just made the most sense and allowed direct access for the new fire pump room. Not a requirement probably when this was a garage predominantly. The lower levels could be fed off of street pressure while the garage levels could be served by a dry standpipe. Now they have direct access for the BFD, and they get to keep a little throwback to the former resident. Win/win for the architect/developer. Lose/lose for those who like to drink and then bump their drunk head because they forgot how low the entrance is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back