45 Province St | Downtown Crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.
45 Province St

http://www.rc3online.com

If you go to this link it outlines the benefits of concrete construction for this area in particular and it also has a web cam that normally works 24 hours per day looking down on the site (under "news"). It has been down for over a week now though.........

Concrete is a challenge but at this height it is cost effective. The most critical need is a good set of coordinated documents in order to use an all concrete structure. It is very difficult to core holes and cut openings in structural concrete after it is poured......not the actual cutting but doing so and not weakening the structure. Therefore there is added cost in producing a quality set of construction documents up front-educating owners and developers on this critical requirement is the real challenge.

If you look at the pictures on the Northeastern dorm thread, you can see how fast the steel has gone up in a month's time. My observation in DC where concrete is used even more than steel is used in Boston is that it takes about one week to do one floor using reinforced concrete.

And, generally speaking, nobody in the concrete trades in DC speaks English. And I have yet to see a union placard on a construction site in DC. One perhaps curious thing though. In a number of existing downtown buildings, they are adding two or three new floors to the top (relaxation of height restrictions). The new floors are steel, even though the base floors were reinforced concrete.

Concrete in Boston Structures

Poured in place concrete has been used for towering structures in Boston in the past.

In particular the Tall Chimney of the mostly oil-fired number 7 unit of the Mystic River Station {formerly Boston Edison, now Exelon Mystic LLC} was built in the 1970?s by using a traveling form that jacked-itself up the chimney. {as an aside the two newest higher capacity units there are all natural gas-fired and hence have much shorter chimneys.}

In constructing the Mystic #7 Chimney ? special mix concrete was pumped from the ground level nearly two hundred meters into the sky every day for months.

Boston, also had the infamous 2000 Commonwealth Avenue apartment building whose tragic progressive collapse of cantilevered porches occurred during construction {I believe it was inadequate heating of the curing concrete during a severe winter}. {As an aside -- the remaining tower core was removed one morning by explosive demolition that felled the tower like a lumberjack fells a tree}.

By the way -- I believe the Burj Dubai {world's tallest building} is mostly poured-in-place concrete construction {some of the 230,000 cu m of concrete is being pumped to 500 m height according to their obnoxiously musical website}
[url]http://www.burjdubai.com/ [/url]

Westy

This should make there condos pretty desirable.

http://boston.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2007/10/22/daily28.html?surround=lfn

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:03 AM EDT

The Abbey Group partners with spa on luxury condos

Boston Business Journal

The Abbey Group has partnered with exhale mind body spa to open its newest Boston location at the residential project known as 45 Province.

The full-service, 138-unit luxury condominium project is located at 45 Province St. between Boston's Downtown Crossing Shopping District and the Boston Common. The Abbey Group expects construction of the building to be completed by 2009.

The addition of exhale will offer residents access first-class amenities including a private multi-level gym and spa with a 40-foot indoor/outdoor lap pool, hot and cold water circuit and a rooftop meditation garden. The partnership with exhale will also provide residents with the option for in-home spa services and private fitness and yoga training.

Other amenities at 45 Province include valet parking, a parlor with a library, a lounge and screening room, a dining room with a catering kitchen, a celebrity chef restaurant and 24-hour concierge.

Exhale's first Boston location opened at the residential building Heritage on The Garden in 2004. The 13,000-square-foot spa features 15 treatment rooms, a yoga studio, retail lobby and other spa services.

Re: 45 Province St

Photos taken by Boston 02124

images.php

images.php

images.php

Nice pictures but please resize them before you post them.

Earlier today.

I know, you can't see much. Eh, what can you do.

45province.jpg

Sorry about that Van. I didn't realize how big they actually were.

It looks like this building might have some impact on the skyline afterall. I remember earlier in this thread that there was discussion about the building not being so noticeable. Jugding by the presence of the crane, we might be pleasantly surprised.

Great pic Mike! Thanks a lot. I love this thread because it is the only thread about a skyscraper that is actually being built right now, and will actually amount to a good height. I just love seeing this building grow and grow. Does anyone have pictures of W Hotel, or 2 Financial Center, or any other buildings under construction right now? I haven't seen anything else of late.

I work right across the street from the W hotel, and don't worry. You're not missing anything by not seeing any pictures. I'd call it a hole in the ground, but that's incorrect because they haven't gotten that far yet.

The Clarendon, a condo /apartment building at the corner of Stuart and Clarendon streets, will be around the same height; it is under construction as well. I'd classify it as a "tower". I think it will be 30-stories or so?

I went by the Clarendon yesterday and they're started to erect the crane!

I work right across the street from the W hotel, and don't worry. You're not missing anything by not seeing any pictures. I'd call it a hole in the ground, but that's incorrect because they haven't gotten that far yet.

haha, I am always in that area and eager to see any progress but it looks basically the same as it has since the summer

Man, I haven't gone to the Back Bay or downtown since like late September. I'll head down and do a big ol' photo update within a couple weeks.

Yep and yep. Allston has been.. different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back