691 Mass Ave | South End

Re: 691 Mass Ave

There is one entrance for all the upper level units. The building will have what the developer is calling soho or small office/home office on the ground level. There will be a separate entrance for each ground floor unit that can be all residential or commercial. The neighborhood, talked him into having entrance canopies at each entrance.

Sounds like a good compromise. Allows him to cheap out on elevators while still keeping multiple entrances

i think the smaller canopied individual entrances are just for the ground floor units. the main one is the bigger niche and it has elevators serving the upper floors...there is no way this is a non-elevator building. the codes wouldn't have allowed it.

i think the smaller canopied individual entrances are just for the ground floor units. the main one is the bigger niche and it has elevators serving the upper floors...there is no way this is a non-elevator building. the codes wouldn't have allowed it.

By "cheap out on elevators" he meant 1 bank for all the upper floors (I wouldn't be surprised if there was only 1) instead of 1 elevator per vertical arrangement.

Does a building of that size need more than one elevator?

Does a building of that size need more than one elevator?

I think so. Nobody wants to be screwed when the elevator is broken.

And yes, I meant having 1 elevator area, instead of an elevator for every "segment" of the building.

God forbid someone need to use the stairs once every 4 years.

Im sure you'd be a riot at the local ADA convention.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be an elevator. Does the ADA require redundancy for occasions when an elevator doesn't work? What if two elevators don't work? Do we need three? Four? Is it irresponsible to build multiple floors? Maybe all buildings should be restricted to a single accessible floor, you know, just in case the power goes out.

I believe fire codes require 2 means of exiting and I don't think an elevator counts as one. That could mean two sets of stairs or fire escapes.

3/13

IMG_8877.jpg

IMG_8878.jpg

IMG_8879.jpg

This is one that I'm waiting until the end for. It could have gone considerably worse for this location.

I'm not understanding all the negativity here -- this is turning out great.

i guess F-line to Dudley must be a brick lover.

maybe wait until all the terracotta is up, the blue foam and waterproofing is very distracting right now.

for what's it is worth, it is much better than most cookie cutter new builds around South end.

any shots of the back ???

Back