691 Mass Ave | South End

Re: 691 Mass Ave

I agree this building has a nice proportion and scale to it. I have to reserve judgment on the cladding until its finished though.

any shots of the back < I'll be drive-n by there tommorrow morning If I remember I'll take one for you

any new developments on this? looks like it is gonna be done by summer.

any shots of the back < I'll be drive-n by there tommorrow morning If I remember I'll take one for you
I took some of the back,now I can't find them? today> the front
079-4.jpg

I bet it'll be nice to sit out on one of those balconies on a summer morning, catching some sun.

is that one of those community gardens that dot the south end? if that is true, they really lucked out with the location then...definitely a good place for some summer R&R,

I love the back! Thanks for getting that shot.

interesting glow to the photos....camera phone? or just the light conditions that day? nice glass boxes! perfect for some exhibitionist! lol

I'd call this one a success. Although the white/red paneling contrast is a bit awkward.

I'd call this one a success. Although the white/red paneling contrast is a bit awkward.

I agree. It's quite a handsome building. I'm not crazy about the glass boxes, but at least they tried to mimic and provide a modern twist to the bay window repetition on the streetwall.

Luz_6.jpg

Luz_7.jpg

Luz_5.jpg

found this on the web...the colors are much better in the sunlight

I like it. The problem now is that Mass Ave lacks the South End charm since they turned it into a traffic artery. Imagine how grand this would look with a row of mature trees.

Least accurate rendering ever?
691_mass_ave_studio_luz-1.jpg

I cant say Im a fan of the contrast between floors 1-4 and 5.

They stupidly sunwashed the rendering. In principle it was actually correct. The color of the existing brick is actually the same color as the facade of the new building in the rendering, which is in fact what we got in the end.

Least accurate? No. Most deceiving rendering ever produced? Yes.

The contrast really isn't that bad. You can see that they took the color from the dormers poking out of the existing brick building which also matches the rendering. I commend them on actually caring about the site context and existing streetwall. It's really a great building. It just makes sense visually and totally respects its historical neighbors.

I cant say Im a fan of the contrast between floors 1-4 and 5.

Gotta meet the Alucobond quota somehow. Especially the innovative white + grey combo.

Whenever I see it I assume the architects realized it was almost lunchtime / lost interest, and finished the building in ten minutes. (kidding)

Back