691 Mass Ave | South End

Re: 691 Mass Ave

I really like how this is coming out. It looks the bastard contemporary-styled child of its two immediate neighbors.

The South End is really becoming a model on how to do quality creative-yet-harmonious contemporary infill in traditional Boston neighborhoods.

"bastard comtemporary child"?? loll...thats funny...and sounds like a backhanded insult ..lol

i seen it in person, the top is more silver than white....pics are not doing it justice ...i could see it being darker though, like the gray on the back or the mullions below.

Least accurate rendering ever?
691_mass_ave_studio_luz-1.jpg

I cant say Im a fan of the contrast between floors 1-4 and 5.

HOME_01.jpg

that last rendering make sit look like the acu-bond will be getting painted or something. it is much darker than what we have now.

Also, this seems like the type of building that will age very well. I don't mean style wise, i mean material and color wise.

It looks better in person that it does in the photos. Feels similar to David Hacin's work on Summer Street in the Seaport District.

^ ooooo i love that! three distinct styles, three distinct time periods, three distinct building, all on roughly the same foot print and height. Yet they all fit toghter. nice.

I like those rows of thin protrusions on the surface Gives the facade a texture and a rhythm usually missing in modern structures.

Why has it taken decades and decades to figure out how to do this right?

Blame this guy:

Loos said:
The evolution of culture marches with the elimination of ornament from useful objects

He loved shag carpet. That should have been a red flag, but nooooooooooo.

This "missing tooth" was filled quite nicely.

That last picture really puts this building into perspective. One could easily mistake this block for Brooklyn.

^^^ For the most part, you could film a NYC movie in Boston no problem, especially non-Manhattan scenes. Alewife always reminds me of the Bronx.

I'm constantly having discussions with my fellow Boston transplant friends about what NYC neighborhoods look like what Boston 'hoods and vise-versa.

I get the impression that they are leaving the top silver, which is worse than the black in the rendering. Makes the structure look top heavy as the silver draws your eyes up.

I get the impression that they are leaving the top silver, which is worse than the black in the rendering. Makes the structure look top heavy as the silver draws your eyes up.

Agreed. I don't understand why they wouldn't give it the same black color of the bay windows. It clashes too much. Along with the too-bright-terracotta I think this thing looks pretty bad. It belongs in one of those "New Urban" downtowns in Denver, not in Boston.

That terra cotta has an odd design to it too...it looks like one of the weird wallpapers seen in The Sims.

I like it. The only thing I would add would be something along the ground level facade that echoed the side profile curved shape of the step rails on the neighboring buildings. By omitting that, the base lacks the gravity of its neighbors. Wouldn't have to be much: a series of light up curved glass arcs would have done it.

On the whole, well done.

Back