88 Seaport Blvd | Seaport Square Parcel D | Seaport

Re: Office Tower | Seaport Square Parcel D | Seaport

Like a lot. This is the diva to contrast with all the background boxes, it's good theater.

I mean this with seriousness and respect:
Would you mind providing links to some examples that you feel embody what you describe in your quote above?

(if not here, then at the appropriate place with a pointer link)

Thanks in advance!

When I have some time I will do just that. I am busy trying to do good design right now. :)

I will start you with one example. 101 seaport is unpretentious, filled with solid design thinking, is efficient and does not rely on gimmick for any of its quality. It might be hard to see because it is too easy to point at it as a glass box, but look at it in comparison to other glass boxes. I mean ... really look at it .. and you will see what I mean.

cca

Plans for office tower revealed by Globe. Practically no detail but clearly more is coming.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...ferent-look/6OKdU9rBxBe5GGcNjpfnxM/story.html
HmBs1R8.jpg

I just posted the same project on the other thread, but coming from a different source

http://www.archdaily.com/872592/oma-designs-carved-mixed-use-building-for-boston-seaport

I spy

https://postimage.io/

I clicked the link posted above too its a much bigger picture with high resolution to give a better idea.

https://postimage.io/

It definitely borders on gimmicky and I usually don't like these but I think with this very high quality facade its actually going to come out pretty good.

According to the article linked above, another 60,000 sf of retail. Excellent!

It definitely borders on gimmicky and I usually don't like these but I think with this very high quality facade its actually going to come out pretty good.

OMA generally rides the line of gimmicky in the grand scheme of things. That said, their details & tectonics are high quality/on-point. They make gorgeous facades. I'm sure the facade will be quite beautiful in its composition & materiality. The slash through is where it enters the gimmick territory, but I think there's some merit to the decision. It undeniably hearkens/pays homage to DS+R's ICA a couple blocks away which itself is a box that peels away at the base to reveal stadium seating. The ICA's statement is a bit stronger/bolder in that you can literally trace the band/fold line that informs the building's massing & facade. In this case, the bottom & top of the building are literally ripped apart to reveal "the guts hidden inside." There isn't a consistent band that you can trace and that's ok. That moment itself is quite exciting. The scheme is also literally a counter-statement to the other soulless boxes in the Seaport - slashing open the box.

Too bad we can't get more of the building, and less of the box.

i appreciate the effort. two slender towers would look much better. but we're talking about innovation space. ...i don't like it. i don't hate it. It has made no offense, nor inspired me to praise it. i hope it never gets built until our tall office towers downtown are up. i lean toward disliking it, as it leans toward being gimmicky, turd.

Why does it matter if this gets built before the towers downtown? This is an office/innovation tower 111 fed is residential/corporate office tower. SST- residential, 1 Brom-residential... Theres only 2 pure office towers I can think of at TD gahden and Govt garage. I dont think this will have an effect on any of those. The seaport needs this, the quicker it goes up the better.

The globe commenters seem to overwhelmingly support this tower, quick someone throw a wrench in their tire.

Don't stop asking for better than what you are being given.

Word up.

I think it's much less gimmicky than the EF Education Building over at Northpoint, and if the materials are of relative quality, this could be a win for the neighborhood.

Essentially the same gimmick, different budget. These are the gestures we're used to seeing from Koolhaas, Libeskind, and Thom Mayne, but here they've "modulated" for "olde" Boston.

...it's good theater.

Actually, Daniel Libeskind might say the same thing. His work obsessively broadcasts a narrative. Perhaps he'll write a novel some day...

The slash through is where it enters the gimmick territory, but I think there's some merit to the decision.

We've seen this time and again from OMA. I saw this and instantly thought of the Netherlands Embassy, a very clever building that I've never made up my mind about.

It undeniably hearkens/pays homage to DS+R's ICA a couple blocks away...

Very good connection.

The scheme is also literally a counter-statement to the other soulless boxes in the Seaport - slashing open the box.

Theatre indeed.

For my own part, I appreciate the injection of imagination and provocative form-making in the Seaport. And it makes the half-hearted googie Innovation Center look like it belongs.

Why does it matter if this gets built before the towers downtown? This is an office/innovation tower 111 fed is residential/corporate office tower. SST- residential, 1 Brom-residential... Theres only 2 pure office towers I can think of at TD gahden and Govt garage. I dont think this will have an effect on any of those...

i went back and forth on this argument, but for me, in the end, Class A space is Class A space; for me there's little theoretically preventing SST, 115 Wintrhop, TD Garden, Harborfaro Garage and 1 Congress from getting a range of tenants.

The globe commenters seem to overwhelmingly support this tower, quick someone throw a wrench in their tire.

i don't like to criticize any developer or architect's work in the Globe.

i regret ripping Simon in the way i did.

OMA generally rides the line of gimmicky in the grand scheme of things. That said, their details & tectonics are high quality/on-point. They make gorgeous facades. I'm sure the facade will be quite beautiful in its composition & materiality. The slash through is where it enters the gimmick territory, but I think there's some merit to the decision. It undeniably hearkens/pays homage to DS+R's ICA a couple blocks away which itself is a box that peels away at the base to reveal stadium seating. The ICA's statement is a bit stronger/bolder in that you can literally trace the band/fold line that informs the building's massing & facade. In this case, the bottom & top of the building are literally ripped apart to reveal "the guts hidden inside." There isn't a consistent band that you can trace and that's ok. That moment itself is quite exciting. The scheme is also literally a counter-statement to the other soulless boxes in the Seaport - slashing open the box.

Great breakdown... but 70% is still a box

If this building get's built as is, I do believe it will be a showstopper. By that I mean that people walking past who never think much about architecture will stop and ponder, and if with friends, will get into a discussion about the merits and quirks and the 'how in the world did they do that' along with their likes and dislikes and just the craziness of it all. And that's a good thing. Hell, it's already started here on this forum!

literally ripped apart

I look forward to watching this new construction (demolition?) technique. Should be quite a show. :p

I like this building.

If this building get's built as is, I do believe it will be a showstopper. By that I mean that people walking past who never think much about architecture will stop and ponder, and if with friends, will get into a discussion about the merits and quirks and the 'how in the world did they do that' along with their likes and dislikes and just the craziness of it all. And that's a good thing. Hell, it's already started here on this forum!

This is my point of view as well. Architecture is for the people, not for the architects.

So what you're saying is 99% of the population will never see any of this (not that that makes CCA wrong it's just beyond most people):
I will start you with one example. 101 seaport is unpretentious, filled with solid design thinking, is efficient and does not rely on gimmick for any of its quality. It might be hard to see because it is too easy to point at it as a glass box, but look at it in comparison to other glass boxes. I mean ... really look at it .. and you will see what I mean.
cca

So what you're saying is 99% of the population will never see any of this (not that that makes CCA wrong it's just beyond most people):

As much as 99% of humanity has no idea how to write, play, or understand how to make (good) music but we all have our spotify on multiple hours a day. Yes.

cca

Back