Academic Building @ Suffolk U | 20 Somerset Street | Beacon Hill

Was over to 8 Ashburton a couple weeks ago, and saw this thing. I had no idea it was going to be this atrocious. Gag!

Moratorium on all pre-war tear-downs. Immediately.

I'm not liking this development--This area becoming a disaster

Garbage developments done near Suffolk University: Besides the Theater District.

This need to be redeveloped and it's not even done yet...

As DZH22 alluded too, it's a very sad state of affairs when it sinks in that the McCormack building next door is the better looking of these two buildings.

Maybe this is all a vast conspiracy by colleges to build super cheap, ugly buildings that will fall apart in 20 years just so they can bilk money from alumni that were students today to raise money to replace these eye sores.

Everyone seems to think this is the ugliest building in the world but I don't think this building looks that bad.. I will agree it should have been about 10 stories taller and kept the original facade design but I bet in a year from now when all the glass is up everyone on this forum will see that this building fits in the area fine (not the best use of space but works). The weird pyramid-like facade subtly compliments the MA Teachers Association building facade across the street and the glass along the side going up the staircase will give it a modern look.
P.S. This is a very logical development for Suffolk University because it is in the right location for them to consolidate buildings while beginning to transition out of Beacon Hill and towards downtown.

It's not entirely that this building is an eyesore but the city deserves better than this. It's new it's got that going for it but come on guys this is a major city and a building in downtown. Can we do something better than Alewife office park. I'm still holding out for solid glass and a decent street interaction because the area is desperate for it.

Design aside, most of us here to seem to forget that this is dwarfed by every building surrounding it.

Design aside, most of us here to seem to forget that this is dwarfed by every building surrounding it.

I don't think that's a plus... it makes it look like a bad art installation.

This is why you always do a facade mockup.

The misaligned windows make it look so much worse.

A successfully executed example of the little-known Bad Trip school of architecture.

I've hated this building in its construction phase like the rest of you but if the glass is really dark like the millenium dtx short building (forget its name) then it might come out OK.

Back