Aerials

I like the pre-Nevada dreadnought in the Navy Yard and the DH-4's at Logan.

The MIT Crew Alumni Association says: "The St. Mary's bridge was removed in 1926-27 and the Cottage Farm rebuilt soon after, which was eventually a boon for rowing though traumatic while it was in progress."

['Cottage Farm' bridge is now called the BU Bridge]

Epic post, Pierce. I need to print some of these and send them to my dad.

The "teenie bopper" photo looks to be from the early 50s; Orient Heights Station is brand new, and there are no trees in my yard.

If you follow the link in my first post you can get the metadata for the photos, with specific years.

There is a handful of Orient Heights shots, in fact.

Last edited:
That aerials really are amazing, thanks for posting them Pierce.

Here are some aerials of DC. Looks like their dense urban areas also met the urban renewal bulldozer.

southwesthistory1.jpg

southwesthistory2.jpg

southwesthistory3.jpg

I can understand demoing for the interstate (even if I don't like it). But why was a massive radius obliterated with it?!

1. The area was very poor, so there were bleeding heart motivations for urban renewal

2. Big federal agencies needed lots of space for big federal buildings close to the Mall

Inbound flights are the only times anyone who doesn't live in Winthrop or Nahant sees them without intending to visit.

Inbound flights are the only times anyone who doesn't live in Winthrop or Nahant sees them without intending to visit.

Which is a shame. Beautiful homes and killer views in both places.

Where's this one? One is there such a massive road for a small area?

Over Lynn. The massive road is the causeway to Nahant. The ocean-side is a really nice beach.

Nahant is pretty indifferent to visitors and tourists. When the USS Constitution was sailed to Marblehead a few years ago, I was on a bike tour that wandered through Nahant while trying to follow the ship. Nobody in Nahant seemed to be paying any attention to either the Constitution or us.

Over Lynn. The massive road is the causeway to Nahant. The ocean-side is a really nice beach.

Ohhh, I know exactly where this is!

Wow, the road looks MASSIVE in the aerial. Driving on it, it feels so different!

Also, the beach is nice the closer you are to Nahant. The Lynn side SUCKS and smells like poopoo all the time. And then low tide? Oh god, I'm passing out...

More pics from a plane, this time from Friday:

5633061341_b01bba2257_b.jpg

5633644060_3e29d63a28_b.jpg

5633062599_1823663c42_b.jpg

5633645160_fe219369c0_b.jpg

5633063975_6a32040870_b.jpg

5633646838_13a5697d4f_b.jpg

All the hi-res versions can be found at my Flickr page.

Back