Aerials

Ugh I hate seeing how much open space there still is out in the Seaport area! It will be siphoning off demand from the bigger potential projects downtown for decades.
It strikes me every time I see aerials of The Seaport - it seems like no matter how much gets built, there's still sooooooo much space left to fill.

^^Let's not run amok--
It's mostly windswept wasteland, (very low FAA) jetwash zone in the range of ~89-140'.
Good on Boston for what ultra-soundproofed hotel vomit, gets summarily thrown up out there,
w/ guests shuttled in/out through basement garage tunnels.

you can also see the Winthrop garage under construction or maybe just the vacant lot
D1C5A635-E855-4575-8BCA-AECCBA1F4C8E.jpeg

There's a whole trove of aerials, mostly 1920s to 1950s, here.

Can anyone help date this photo? (full size) The best I can do is between 1915 (Andersen Bridge complete) and 1929 (semicircular bleachers at the north end of the stadium not yet installed).

777px-Massachusetts_-_Harvard_Stadium_-_NARA_-_23941265.jpg

There's a whole trove of aerials, mostly 1920s to 1950s, here.

Can anyone help date this photo? (full size) The best I can do is between 1915 (Andersen Bridge complete) and 1929 (semicircular bleachers at the north end of the stadium not yet installed).

777px-Massachusetts_-_Harvard_Stadium_-_NARA_-_23941265.jpg
I think that might be a date/timestamp in the lower-left corner.
(7-1-25-2P)
July 1, 1925 2:00pm???

Great catch, thank you! Looking at some other photos confirms you're spot-on.

^^ Bookmark this site. Its satellite refreshes are 6+ months more up-to-date than Google's.

Check the difference in GLX aerial progress here vs. here.

Yeah but with Google's you get a joyfully maneuverable, highly detailed 3D model of the entire city. The key is to hold "control" on the keyboard and let the mouse do the spinning and zooming. It's like a 1000x better version of the straight-down satellite views. Better still if you "remove labels" so it's just you and the city.

Yeah but with Google's you get a joyfully maneuverable, highly detailed 3D model of the entire city. The key is to hold "control" on the keyboard and let the mouse do the spinning and zooming. It's like a 1000x better version of the straight-down satellite views. Better still if you "remove labels" so it's just you and the city.

Where was it ever suggested that this was a Google replacement?

The one thing Google doesn't do well is update satellite imagery more than once a year to year-and-a-half. So if you need aerials reflecting recent changes, you have to supplement with outside sources. This site has the most up-to-date imagery I've yet seen with any aerials catalogue...ranging from less than 6 months to no more than a year. So when you have to supplement for a more recent look, this site is a rec.

Absolutely no one said "replace Google with this". I don't know how that ever entered consideration.

Back