Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

It is an abomination.

No human being could like that.

Where are the NIMBY's in THIS case?

I dunno. The developer who saved a ton of money on materials and design fees yet still managed to get a tenant probably loves it.

Don't you think there's more important things to be concerned about?

Laughed at this for 10 minutes.

The bank facade (including its shitty little cornice) look Photoshopped onto the brick apartment building.

Much of my misspent youth happened within a hundred yards of this location. The area in general has slid toward the generic since the mid-90s.

This is how HARVARD SQUARE lost alot of its Character. THE BANKS

Haha, THE BANKS is the new "damn guvmment".

Where are the NIMBY's in THIS case?

They probably love it, its sure to not bring any newcommers, late night or weekend buisness to the area. Its the ACA's poster child.

I ask again: what happened to Unos liquor licence?

So whatever happened to this being useful. Also, why is the streetscape for it on everet so terrible? Werent they required to build a sidewalk?

DSC01137.jpg

Watch this space for further development. ^

Interesting that the public storage building in the photo's background isn't in Google Street View.

Architectural Resources Cambridge is designing the change for "Watch this space...."

Everett_0.jpg

Overpass.jpg

Re: TD Bank believe it or not that's actually the upgraded materials package. The original proposal was even more dull and cheap-looking.

I've been talking to myself about this lot in this thread for a while now. There has GOT to be a way to design a skating club so it doesn't look like such garbage. This iteration is better but still...

There is a really unique potential here since Everett is a bridge. I can envision a large window that allows people walking/driving across the bridge can look down onto the ice and see the activities inside. Kind of like what BU did at the Student Village. But instead they are putting in... a parking lot. Why do they keep putting the parking lots facing the street? There are two alleys on either side of the property!

Completely unrelated to that, I was browsing on redfin and it looks like someone is testing the waters for an apartment building at the corner of Pratt and Linden: Trash Street Proposal
71385118_3.jpg

whats the name of this building again? I can't seem to find its thread
058_zps14e06a18.jpg
057_zps3a04401d.jpg
053_zpsaf710f2e.jpg
055_zps1276d4b0.jpg

The other project on Brainard has the elevator core up, as well as the facade mock-up. After this the CVS parking lot will be the last hole in the streetwall along Brainard. Hopefully we will see a proposal soon...

They demoed the burnt out house on Linden, hopefully something will go there soon.

The TD bank is almost open (and looking as bad as ever). They have had girls with signs yelling at the intersection on weekend lately. It's absurd.

The strip mall is pretty much done. The materials are pretty cool looking, but its still a strip mall... and the new CVS has a drive through. I wonder if they will shut down the one on Comm Ave. Its not in as good a location, and the site is probably worth a pretty penny. As I understand it they tore down an old theater in the 70s or so to put it in, so the ROI is massive there.

I would have taken some pictures but the weather has been so gross this week I don't feel like getting out. I'm mostly posting because it's a ghost town around here lately.

I have to wonder if, despite how beautiful this building looks now, our progeny will condemn it for the blank walls as we have condemned so many older buildings that attempted to pull off the same trick.

Also, wow, that is a lot of doo-dads stuck to the facade in the third pic.

Yeah, my "it looks like a '70s bunker" sense tingles a bit when looking at those walls. But how much opening up can you do to a building that's essentially a garage?

As for the doo-dads, I'm not excusing them but there are locker rooms (and perhaps some laundry facilities?) behind those walls.

I attended a lecture focusing on the community rowing boathouse years back. The louvres are inspired by tobacco barns, and are supposed to be reminicant of oars as well, if I believe. I think they wanted them to be operable as part of the HVAC system, but I'm not sure if they actually are or not. They wanted to create a unique structure to set the community boathouse apart from the pretentious, exclusive looking boathouses that otherwise line the charles as to be inviting, and the shape also works quite well for storage: form following function.

That design team is not the ones who designed the glass structure next door.

Back