Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

The local NIMBYs are already screaming about it. Also parking. They want more parking and less traffic, magically. Go figure.

Of course they're already screaming and of course they're contradicting themselves. What else is new.

Picsxsss

fgnr.jpg

FYI that's Brighton Center at far right ------------------------------------------------------------------------- VV

yu00.jpg

cj2u.jpg

ff56.jpg

d43l.jpg

uuz6.jpg

There couldn't be residential development without mitigation of the highway corridor, according to HUD, I believe.

Any idea what Harvard's plans are for the old Skating Club and the Days Inn?

Any idea what Harvard's plans are for the old Skating Club and the Days Inn?
Never seen any mention of future plans.

Harvard supposedly was at one time negotiating a land swap with WBZ, so Harvard could secure the WBZ property. But the Harvard-owned land to be swapped was not on Western Ave.

Then there is the Smith playground. One way to get greater density nearer Barry's Corner would be to move the playing fields and string them out on Harvard-owned property along the north side of Western Ave., west of N. Harvard St. That would allow Harvard to develop the Smith playground land.

Hamilton wants to replace the parking lot and old house along Malvern Street with a 48 unit (all 2-BR, $1800/mo estimated) 6 floor building and 72 parking spaces. They intend to raze the house and turn that land into a parking lot with some trees. The project is still in early stages and I believe is going for Article 80 review by the BRA, so there should be ample opportunity for comment and changes. They are open to reducing the number of parking spaces in favor of some other use of the land. Personally I think it's a bit silly to replace the parking lot on the corner of Ashford and Malvern with one on the corner of Gardner and Malvern.

This project is going to the Zoning board tomorrow. Not sure why it's not been posted by the BRA yet. I think they may have cut the number of parking spots, at least.

Small Project Review is not as thorough and I can't read some of these diagrams. But what I can see seems like a big improvement over what I saw last time the plans were presented. It almost seems as if they may have applied some of my suggestions.

My main issue is the lot with the existing house that is being demolished and replaced with a useless park and smaller parking lot. Id rather see that parcel sold off (retaining the house) and relaxing the parking restrictions. Its not all that many spaces anyway.

The original plan had the house being demolished to build another parking lot. This one substitutes a park instead of that.

BRA approves Allston mixed-use project with 80 apartments, start-up incubator space

By Matt Rocheleau, Boston.com Staff

The Boston Redevelopment Authority board approved plans Thursday night to build a $17 million mixed-use building in Allston that will include 80 apartments and short-term start-up incubator space.

The 93,000-square-foot building at 61-83 Braintree St. will also include three community rooms, a 562-square-foot retail space and 67 parking spots in an underground garage, the authority said.

Eleven of the 80 apartments will be designated as affordable housing. The space reserved for start-ups will measure about 1,715 square feet, officials said.

The project, developed The Waypoint Companies and designed by Charlestown-based Neshamkin French Architects, will seek LEED Silver certification.

Work on the project is scheduled to start in June and take about a year to complete, officials said.

Crews will first demolish two low-level warehouse and office buildings on the property that are currently used by plumbing and hardware supply company Thompson Durkee.

The half-acre site abutting the Massachusetts Turnpike will then undergo environmental remediation, officials said.

The developer has committed to making $30,000 worth of improvements to the nearby Penniman Park and will spend about $10,000 to conduct a local bicycle route study.

Officials said they expect the project will create between 90 and 95 construction jobs.

Image included in article

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news..._mixed-use_project_with_80_apartments_st.html

Saint Elizabeths under perhaps the most flattering light possible...

12785876173_8ff9d63516_b.jpg

12785872773_61d1c22587_b.jpg

12785864403_a66d1a3c37_b.jpg

12785758755_e8c1a3b743_b.jpg

This is what was going on in the other direction

12786204274_6b4f87a0da_b.jpg

Back