Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

I would love to see Soldiers Field Road turned into a beautiful residential boulevard like Riverside Dr (though Allston will never attract the wealth that Riverside Dr does). Perhaps with Harvard coming in the lots between SFR and Western Ave can be rezoned for apartment buildings with commercial space on the Western Ave side.

You're going to give the parking NIMBYs a heart attack at that rate.

I would love to see Soldiers Field Road turned into a beautiful residential boulevard like Riverside Dr (though Allston will never attract the wealth that Riverside Dr does). Perhaps with Harvard coming in the lots between SFR and Western Ave can be rezoned for apartment buildings with commercial space on the Western Ave side.
Harvard has shifted athletic fields to Soldiers Field Rd. So it will never become a residential boulevard. If I was doing long-range planning for Harvard, the narrower strip of land between Western Ave and Soldiers Field Rd east of the Speedway would become city playing fields, moved from the Smith playground. Unless Smith playing fields / playground is moved, Barry's Corner will never have enough residential density to thrive.

In my opinion, the commercial developments/strip malls of SFR in Allston should ultimately reorient themselves into the neighborhood, rather than outward to the river. Then develop some land facing the river into residences (which would be desirable as the riverwalk is lovely over there). Seeing the new Charlesview development when you're driving up SFR kind of heightens this feeling for me. You probably won't ever get the Harvard athletic fields developed, they don't really have anywhere else to go, but improvements on the corridor between Everett St and Nonantum Rd would be great.

Gas station at 1650 comm ave. has been knocked down. Anyone know whats going on?

Real Estate people have told me that condos are going up there. Hopefully with some ground floor retail to boot, though I realize it isn't likely.

This is what I heard:
The owners of the Shell gas station are envisioning building a convenience store and another Dunkin Donuts in the northeast corner of the 332 CH Ave. parking lot. I heard it first through the grapevine and then asked an employee at the station who confirmed it for me.

Edit: Oops, just realized it's a different gas station. Still Brighton though. Yes, the 1650 Comm was bulldozed at some point in the past few months.

9573224246_232791c979_c.jpg

Was that the one with the door that you had to get buzzed through, and super cheap gas?

As for the shell, I think there was "community opposition" against them building a 4-6 story building in a neighborhood of... 4-6 story buildings.

This is what I heard:

Edit: Oops, just realized it's a different gas station. Still Brighton though. Yes, the 1650 Comm was bulldozed at some point in the past few months.

9573224246_232791c979_c.jpg

EDIT: Your edit beat my response!!

That one was originally supposed to be a 5 story apartment building. I am talking about this one:

qM5eeP2.jpg

When was the Chestnut Hill Ave proposal? I don't recall anything in the past year or so.

Ugh, rereading the chestnut hill ave article gets my blood boiling all over again. I hope they resubmit the original proposal during this boom and steamroll the abutters. I think I mentioned this back then, but the trees along the propertys edge are already taller then the proposed building, and effectively block any views for most of the year.

As for the comm ave project, it's odd the BRA has nothing since demolition already commenced. While searching I did find a tidbit on the hotel commonwealth adding 96 rooms: link. No PNF though.

LOI filed.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...rojects.asp?action=ViewProject&ProjectID=1592

Waypoint Companies is proposing an Article 80 project at 61-83 Braintree Street in Allston. It will be 80 units: 41 studios, 31 1BR, 4 2BR, 4 3BR. There are 5000 sq ft of "commercial" space and 69 parking spaces including 2 ZipCar. FAR 3. The developer cited the Guest Street planning study as a main factor in their decisions. Also the upcoming "Boston Landing" station.

They want to get moving quickly, hopefully complete within 14 months. The current site is industrially zoned with a retail outlet. That will need to be demolished first. Apparently it's old enough to require historic review first, but they don't anticipate any problems.

Filing with the BRA shortly, they anticipate the first public meeting in mid-September.

9309681701_3557b54941_c.jpg

Architect is Neshamkin French Architects Inc of Charlestown.

I'm trying to get a better electronic version of the presentation.

They added a sign "SIXTY BRAINERD":
9600998327_032159e93a_c.jpg

Quiet:
9604233790_6a3d93f07d_c.jpg

Not really development, but, looks like ISD kicking some butt:
9604235540_056a439a27_c.jpg

Finally grabbed a picture of the renovation of the verizon warehouse into the Harvard ceramics studio.The terracotta looks really good in the sun, kinda meh on a day like today.

13+-+1

Back