Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

Hmmmmm, the views out of many of the units would be of the ass-ends of other buildings. That would be a tough sell for a lot of people.

Developer is ready and wants to submit paperwork for Article 80 process in June, but we'll see if they make that timeline.

I stand by my belief that those 3-5/6/7 story brick/masonry, 1880-1920s-era apartment buildings in the Fenway, Allston, Brighton are my hands own favorite style of building in Boston. I also love seeing gaps filled in, hoping this gets off the ground.

Totally agree.

Same "green district" developers?

Doubtful. This seems like a pretty small number of units for the Mt. Vernon Co.

Like I said, there are two parcels that make up the parking lot, one of them is owned by Chestnut Hill Realty so my guess is they are involved somehow although I don't believe they are in the development business, only management. I could be wrong though.

It's not Mount Vernon (who is gone, anyway, sold to ND).

Mount Vernon is not gone. They built and sold the Green District Portfolio to ND but the company is still very much around and now roughly $100MM wealthier after the sale.

Right; I meant gone from the Green District thing.

Still waiting to hear about their North Beacon acquisition, which has been stalled for months (years?)

It will be.

And then in 2-3 years, a brand new mixed-use building. I might be able to obtain preliminary design pictures later this month.

In other news, 40 Malvern Street is moving right along. Nothing much to see yet, but they built a brand new curb cut and driveway for heavy machinery.

One building demolished on Braintree. Structure on the northwest corner and the building on the east side remain.

Morning:

eYE3DOk.jpg

Evening:

AyCswu3.jpg

In case it isn't evident, I'm antsy for some construction to start in my back yard.

Do you know of any other developments planned in this section of Allston? I'm talking mainly from Cambridge Street/North Beacon towards the Pike...I know New Balance obviously but anything else you can think of?

There's been a long delayed condo project on Rugg Road.

Another developer showed up one day a few months ago with some ambitious 6-building complex that would fill in around that block as well, mostly removing old warehouses. Quite preliminary, don't know if it will go anywhere.

Mt Vernon company purchased that N Beacon St / Everett St property and submitted a letter of intent for a sizable building, but then has disappeared on it.

Harvard is going to pay for Everett Street to be given proper sidewalks, finally.

The old Washington Allston school land (other side of Cambridge St from Chester block) was purchased by a developer a while back and a proposal was submitted, but it's been sitting for a while. I think he's more focused on his Parsons street / Brighton center thing.

And the 450 Cambridge Street (where Do Re Mi is) project went through all the boards, so I think it's ready to start, but I haven't seen movement.

There's been a long delayed condo project on Rugg Road.

Another developer showed up one day a few months ago with some ambitious 6-building complex that would fill in around that block as well, mostly removing old warehouses. Quite preliminary, don't know if it will go anywhere.

Mt Vernon company purchased that N Beacon St / Everett St property and submitted a letter of intent for a sizable building, but then has disappeared on it.

Harvard is going to pay for Everett Street to be given proper sidewalks, finally.

The old Washington Allston school land (other side of Cambridge St from Chester block) was purchased by a developer a while back and a proposal was submitted, but it's been sitting for a while. I think he's more focused on his Parsons street / Brighton center thing.

And the 450 Cambridge Street (where Do Re Mi is) project went through all the boards, so I think it's ready to start, but I haven't seen movement.

Do you mean the Allston Motor Sports property? I know the 6 building proposal you are talking about, I've seen a site layout for that.

And is Harvard going to do all of Everett street or just the side where the new skating club is going (north of the pike)?

Last edited:
Harvard is going to pay for Public Works to redo the sidewalks from North Beacon Street all the way to Western Ave. They will also restripe with a bike lane / sharrows combo (a.k.a. a 'climbing lane' for uphill portions). There's only enough room for a bike lane on one side at a time.

The remainder of Everett Street between Western and SFR is owned by DCR and also needs a new sidewalk around where the BPW yard is. But that's a separate project.

Harvard is going to pay for Public Works to redo the sidewalks from North Beacon Street all the way to Western Ave. They will also restripe with a bike lane / sharrows combo (a.k.a. a 'climbing lane' for uphill portions). There's only enough room for a bike lane on one side at a time.

The remainder of Everett Street between Western and SFR is owned by DCR and also needs a new sidewalk around where the BPW yard is. But that's a separate project.

Huh. DCR? That's weird. It would be cool to see a map of Boston that showed ownership broken down into all the different government agencies at the city and state level... like that map showing all the lands owned by different colleges.

As we're into Harvard paying for stuff, a large storm sewer collapsed near N Harvard St. and the park behind the library, creating a sizable sinkhole. Harvard is now paying for a thousand liner feet of replacement storm sewer, eastward probably to where near Genzyme is. They are demolishing a two story garage building at 90 Seattle St as part of the project, perhaps because the sewer runs beneath it.

Eden Properties presented an initial mock-up of its proposal for corner of Linden and Brighton (parcels: Budget Rent-a-car + former-International Bikes + a house on Gardner Street currently occupied by student rentals). Existing buildings would have to come down -- site will be populated by "POP Allston" as an interim use encouraged by the owners to keep the street frontage active until construction begins.

Currently shown at 5 floors for 138 units (about half studios, remainder divided between 1BR, 1BR+Den, 2BR, 2BR+Den). 7,000-ish sf of retail on the ground floor divided up into 3 units. Behind retail on first floor will be parking garage with 69 parking spaces and room for 138 secured bicycle storage spaces. Curb cuts will be on Linden and Gardner. Brighton Ave sidewalk to be expanded to 12 feet wide by building setback, with room for a small sidewalk cafe, elimination of curb cuts, and possible re-relocation of the bus stop to far-side of intersection. Reworking of Brighton & Linden intersection to feature concurrent Walk signals with leading pedestrian interval for safety improvement. Proponent intends to offer incentives to car-free residents such as included-ZipCar membership (w/ cars on-site), subsidized Hubway membership, Uber credits, and possible MBTA CharlieCard credits (though not clear what exactly).

Sounds great, and neighborhood appropriate. (Though I'd reduce the parking spaces by about 90%.)

Back