Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

It's still not exactly low on parking, being nearly 1:1. Over the Pike there's the proposal for 89 Brighton Ave with 0.5 ratio (P.S. comment deadline is Monday!). That's a good location for sure, could even do less.

The thing about Lower Allston is that while the transit options are bus-only, it's like bicycling heaven. Pretty much entirely flat land, with easy access to the river paths (despite their condition), and Cambridge is only a 10-15 minute walk (& 5 minute bike) if you really want the Red Line. Yeah, crossing the Pike sucks, and Soldiers Field Road makes things 'interesting' (in the worst sense) to get to the river, but if you learn how to deal with that, then it's ok.

Hopefully Western Ave will continue to redevelop now that Harvard is finally getting into gear, and it won't be so desolate.

I probably would have moved over to that area if I didn't get this job overseas. Now that I bike everywhere, I don't use the MBTA enough to justify living near a train line. I could probably ramble much more on this topic, but once you've taken on bicycling as your primary mode of transportation, it's more useful to live near a set of bus routes than a subway stop. If the weather is really so bad that you can't bike, then it's likely that the buses will be more reliable and useful anyway. And bike-to-train means that you can effectively live 2-3 miles away from the station while still feeling 'close enough'.

Interesting quote from the letter filed with the BRA:

At the recently constructed Charlesview project across Western Avenue from the Telford Street project site, the fully occupied 240 unit residential development has about 180 spaces of its 248 space parking garage used. Since there is no additional fee for parking above monthly leases at Charlesview, these numbers represent a true parking demand of about 0.74 spaces per unit.

Just think about how much affordable housing money was wasted on those luxurious accommodations for automobiles that aren't even being utilized...

That new parking survey can't come soon enough, would be nice if there was a way for buildings to either self-report, or be assessed in regards to the utilization rate. Maybe there is such a tool and I don't know about it, but it would be eminently useful data.

1650 Commonwealth approved

https://twitter.com/BostonRedevelop/status/631986013313859584

I should have looked at the BRA agenda before the meeting, but I swear some people told me that this project had been killed by the BAIA. I assume it is still the Diamond Sinacori project?

Man....I want so much to like this project. That medium-sized infill along rapid(ish) transit.....that's the sweet spot. But this has a real chance of turning out like shit if those renders are current, kinda reminds me of 330 Beacon - which is a shite building imo.

Man....I want so much to like this project. That medium-sized infill along rapid(ish) transit.....that's the sweet spot. But this has a real chance of turning out like shit if those renders are current, kinda reminds me of 330 Beacon - which is a shite building imo.

Developer should be the same as 1501 Comm Ave, which I think turned out better than the renders.

I could not find any pictures on here, but there are pictures at http://www.courbanize.com/dnd-1501-commonwealth-ave-the-lancaster/

1501 Comm: so a nursing home was torn down and replaced by...another nursing home.
1650 Comm: the rendering has the same kind of 1920s Gatsby-mobile that the rendering for 1501 had. Not a good omen.

And is Harvard going to do all of Everett street or just the side where the new skating club is going (north of the pike)?

Everett Street sidewalks are being actively worked on, both sides of the street. And word is the skating club deal is off. Since the project has completely disappeared from the BRA's web site, I'm guessing the gossip is true.

So, we get new sidewalks, but we're still stuck with an empty building, maybe for another decade.

1354 comm ave was just sold. The property includes all of the buildings of Brookline liquor mart and Brighton self storage. This is a huge property. Don't know about the purchaser, it's a single owner though.

Looking up on the Suffolk Deeds site for 1354-1360 Commonwealth, the first lease recorded for Brookline Liquor Mart was 1975.

Last edited:
Looking up on the Suffolk Deeds site for 1354-1360 Commonwealth, the first lease recorded for Brookline Liquor Mart was 1975.

Original store of Brookline liquor was where the wine school is now (under the neon, right on comm)... There for many decades before the 70s. Probably that was when they moved upstairs into the present location which I believe was formerly a car parts warehouse. Apparently, the new owner plans on temporarily reverting the liquor store into more storage, but I imagine this is only to buy time for other uses for the property. Given the size of it, as well as the fact that the buildings are all low slung warehouses, it is a fairly large hunk of space that is not historically significant and ripe for a very interesting development. Although that of course would depend on the intentions and experience of the buyer....

Thanks. I haven't seen any transactions on the Suffolk Deeds website yet. Has it closed for sure?

Thanks. I haven't seen any transactions on the Suffolk Deeds website yet. Has it closed for sure?

According to my sources... I'm not sure how immediately the Suffolk deeds site updates itself... But I have been told that the transaction is done.

The three BRA approved projects in the Everett, Braintree, Cambridge Triangle all suddenly became active in November.

Penniman on the Park has had trucks hauling away dirt for the last few weeks. Matthew previously said the project may have been delayed for waste remediation, this looks like they're taking care of that.

n1LgHtL.jpg

rKPPM3H.jpg

61-83 Braintree: Piles going in around the site?

UhYMpgW.jpg

450 Cambridge Street: Demolished Do Re Mi Karaoke, house behind, and part of PaperWorks

VW4jQow.jpg

Back