Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

This is the result of lazy choices on a budget. Shame.

cca

The tiny circular window at the top is actually what bothers me the most.

Last edited:
I definitely like the grand gesture at that corner

36785654454_4942df8d74_o.png

37495616241_2fb1d0d90b_o.png

37464506392_336839d20d_o.png

I definitely like the grand gesture at that corner

It would be even grander if they didn't have that big blank wall of boring. They're trying with the color panels, but it really needs to be glass.

^ Agreed, although knowing how these things end up I'll settle for "flawed grand gesture" over total boring any day of the week. Fingers crossed it doesn't get VE'd away.

It's just a testament to how pathetic government is that most of the Birmingham Parkway is 100% superfluous. The entire area could be so much more fucking activated with a broad government sponsored rethinking of the roadways around here, oriented toward max development, a future transit line (eventually), and greenspace on the river. But none of that will happen. And the useless Birmingham Pkwy will remain a four lane road to nowhere (well, to IHOP, until it closes).

It's just a testament to how pathetic government is that most of the Birmingham Parkway is 100% superfluous. The entire area could be so much more fucking activated with a broad government sponsored rethinking of the roadways around here, oriented toward max development, a future transit line (eventually), and greenspace on the river. But none of that will happen. And the useless Birmingham Pkwy will remain a four lane road to nowhere (well, to IHOP, until it closes).

Completely agree. I keep having hopes for the private developments, but this is really something where a broader overall planning is needed. I was hopeful when Martignetti's sold that would start something, but that being an auto dealership is nothing.

For this section, the building where Stuart Glass is recently sold; hopefully it becomes something. But real change requires the type of rethinking you describe, not just private redevelopment of random parcels.

These were just posted on Twitter for the "Allston Square" project. I really hope they preserve at least the facade of 334 Cambridge st. The building has always seemed like such a nice gate to this part of Allston.

DOof0NRX4AALS_F.jpg:large

DOoffC-X4AAsCzj.jpg:large

DOofO2HW4AYfRue.jpg:large

These were just posted on Twitter for the "Allston Square" project. I really hope they preserve at least the facade of 334 Cambridge st. The building has always seemed like such a nice gate to this part of Allston.

I agree with you there. Talking to the team at their open house, they claimed that 334 Cambridge has a lot of structural issues that mean it has to be demolished.

The building at the corner of Braintree and Franklin stays, but the murals will be moved somewhere TBD so that residents can look out their windows.

They have one building that kind of looms over Autozone, which may make future development awkward. They will have a pool (possibly second story?) where Autozone is the view.

I agree with you there. Talking to the team at their open house, they claimed that 334 Cambridge has a lot of structural issues that mean it has to be demolished.

Is the gray the actual proposed color, though? It kind of looks like it's just a placeholder, and I hope so.

The building at the corner of Braintree and Franklin stays, but the murals will be moved somewhere TBD so that residents can look out their windows.

They have one building that kind of looms over Autozone, which may make future development awkward. They will have a pool (possibly second story?) where Autozone is the view.

I think that "structural issues" is almost always cited as the reason when someone wants to take down a building. Realistically, new is cheaper. In this location though, that is a great gateway building to the neighborhood and they should be pushed to keep it.

They are trying to bring back the historic name of the neighborhood while tearing down one of its most recognizable buildings? Let's ask for better.

I kind of like it. It speaks the neighborhood vernacular with a little modernity. Maybe just a tick too modern. I'm not a big fan of the boxy bay windows. I prefer a more traditional 3-sided bay (I'm not sure what to call it - half-hexagonal?).

The 2 additional stories, set back, are greatly appreciated.

Back