Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

dwash,
Yes - the Boston Volvo Village approach (or heading in that direction) is all I'm asking for (my London Jag dealer example was a bit of hyperbole). Making better use of urban space is what it's about.

jumbobuc,
I totally get the U.S. dealer model, but my critique is simply on how prime space is used. The present dealer model does not preclude them from using prime/storefront real estate for one purpose, and "remote lot" real estate for another purpose. My point was not that dealerships don't need land...it was "is this the best use of Comm Ave frontage?"...especially when you know they could easily rent out 3 floors of apartments above the thing in a heartbeat). In my longer rant above, I was guessing that the only reason Herb is staying in the spot in the first place (and converting it further upmarket) is the nearby presence of rich international students who might literally window browse and then drop $80k. If it weren't for them, my guess is that Herb would move that whole dealership somewhere else because it's not as if allston-brighton is an otherwise wealthy neighborhood where people buy Jags (nor is it convenient for suburbanites who drive Jags; EDIT: I suppose nearby brookline is an exception). Store frontage here could be their outpost for the locale niche market, and the bulk of their carlot could be somewhere off the pike, etc.

Used to buy them from Lee, but looks like they are gone. Not as enthusiastic about Jaguar since the XJ started looking like an Audi.

That mason has some explaining to do, that looks terrible, efflorescence, everywhere.

Agree that this is as sentimental as nonsense can get, but the rest of the building isn't any worse than the usual. That's not saying much, I know. BUT... I was driving on the Pike for the first time in a while the other day and saw this just around nightfall and did a double take - it extends the Brighton Landing skyline and does contribute to the viewer's sense that there's a real population center here now. So in that regard it's good, I guess.

Cumberland Farms on chestnut hill ave has been fenced off and looks to be demolished. Has anything been proposed here? I googled but only found a demolition permit.

Cumberland Farms on chestnut hill ave has been fenced off and looks to be demolished. Has anything been proposed here? I googled but only found a demolition permit.

I searched the permit data base at Boston.gov. It looks like they are building a new Cumberland Farms:

Cumberland Farms Convenience Store -; Facility upgrade;; Work to include :; Demolition of existing structure on site and replace with a new 1-story Commercial building reoriented on the Lot.; Reconstruction and relocation of new Gasoline pumping stations and underground Gasoline tanks field (;with a slight increase in the capacity of the tank field). The redesign is intended to improve circulation within the site and access to /egress to site from the Public roadway (Chestnut Hill Avenue).;;;;;;; LPR

Kind of disappointing, but we need gas stations I suppose.

Back