Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

Truly one of the nicest urban massings going up today. Totally transforms the feel of the area. DHZ22 had to talk shit about my comment predicting this a while back but whatever, fuck him.

Truly one of the nicest urban massings going up today. Totally transforms the feel of the area...

I agree with this. I think folks who are against the 5-on-1 woodframe stuff have to get over themselves. As with any project, it comes down to execution. For those of us out in Brighton, it is just really nice for areas to be positively transformed by these types of projects. One of the things I love about Brighton are the dense 5-story brick buildings that line Comm ave (I am talking further outboard of the Allston/student housing stretch), as well as some of the more prominent side streets, like Glennville. My point is that most of those legacy buildings (many of which were build between 1900-1930s) are wood framed too (with brick exterior walls); those have stood the test of time and are, quite frankly, more beautiful than most of the steelframed fast-casual architecture stuff going up elsewhere.

I agree this project, and others, are something to celebrate more than we are. I even think the new Cleveland Circle 5-on-1 stuff came out looking pretty nice.

Last edited:
DHZ22 had to talk shit about my comment predicting this a while back but whatever, fuck him.

Oh boo hoo to you. Does somebody need a safe space?

I went back 20 pages (5 years) on this thread and couldn't find the comment you refer to. Hell, I don't even know what building this is. It looks like something that would be tossed up in Waltham or some other suburb. There's no context. It doesn't even have cladding. How can you triumphantly judge something based on any of the existing criteria? Then you end with fuck me? Well you can take your little bitch ass opinion and flush it down the toilet, because it stinks!

You sure have quite the vendetta over something ridiculous. What are you, 6 years old or something? Yeah, cursing out a stranger over the internet really validates everything you have to say. Actually no wait, it makes you sound like a low-life scumbag. Given that this is the first of your 910 posts I have actually internalized, at least I can say with confidence that you aren't worth another moment of my time. Goodbye.

PS If I ever come across a DHZ22 I'll let him know that I stood up for him on archboston.

It looks like something that would be tossed up in Waltham or some other suburb. There's no context.

Moving back to discussion of this project, 530 Western Ave, I don't understand the idea that this project should have some context. The main neighbors are a gas station, a bank branch that should be in the suburbs of a desert city, and a set of horse stables.

This is a building that should be setting the style for the adjoining properties when they are redeveloped in the coming decade, not something responding to the existing confused context.

(And really, this discussion, if it is had, should go into the existing thread for 530 Western Ave).

This is perfectly contextual for the modern era. It's a little taller than its surroundings but the massing is perfect for the area, mid-rise urban. Nothing like a suburban car-oriented apartment complex at all. Anyway DZH22, I'm pretty sure vansh deleted your rude posts, but it was dismissing my talk of this project as transformative, saying why care about some random lowrise, I wanna care about highrises only, fuck everything except four seasons, waaaaaaaaaaaah! This is truly one of the more urbanizing infill buildings going up these days, most don't do nearly as much for the street frontage/neighborhood feel.

Moving back to discussion of this project, 530 Western Ave, I don't understand the idea that this project should have some context.

I was talking about the picture. The picture had no context. It was this project across the entire picture. I didn't even know where it was or what project it was.

Anyway DZH22, I'm pretty sure vansh deleted your rude posts, but it was dismissing my talk of this project as transformative, saying why care about some random lowrise, I wanna care about highrises only, fuck everything except four seasons, waaaaaaaaaaaah!

Ehhh go cry about it some more and maybe Van will delete more posts for you. I care about many projects, but personally don't give a rats ass about this project or this neighborhood. That's my prerogative. What I don't do is go sobbing to my momma every time somebody has a different opinion.

I don't like the 4/5 over 1 stuff. Never have, and never will. Get over yourself, lowlife.

Well leave the discussion of urbanity (yes, including 5 over 1) to those who want to discuss it. My bad for bringing that up, was a troll moment. Anyway, yeah I remembered something from a while back and was upset, but how you respond sets the tone for future memories. Yeah I'm a "lowlife" but I go to graduate school in geography. I'm sure you have a lot of knowledge too on whatever you're smart at. Anyway, my bad, because I'm usually better than that and we all have things to contribute to this great site. My relevant point is I like this building's massing and it's a great milestone for the continuing urbanization of Western Ave.

Everyone chill. Just get through the day; the nice weather's around the corner!

39626426755_f417c266b6_o.png

This looks like a parking garage lol, so basically shows that parking garages with flat floor plates can fit into the urban fabric, easily have retail on the outer surrounding facade, or be converted relatively easy later.

This looks like a parking garage lol, so basically shows that parking garages with flat floor plates can fit into the urban fabric, easily have retail on the outer surrounding facade, or be converted relatively easy later.

All I'm getting here is that most parking garages have crappy facades. The Charles Street Garage is a great example of actually fitting in. And others have pointed to better urban dealerships in Europe or even here in Boston. Just go down Comm Ave and you have examples of buildings that were formerly dealerships that have some great architecture.

Their slides even say "based on Jaguar Land Rover’s new ARCH image guidelines" and discuss being "JLR-compliant". This is just a multi-level attempt at speaking Jaguar/Landrover's current brand design guidelines and really is not an effort at fitting into the urban fabric or the community.

The design language around the world:

Canada:

500~v~Car_dealer_Jaguar_Land_Rover_-_Quebec__EMS.jpg

UK:

France:

tumblr_n9hrz8mSEM1s72rczo5_500.jpg

Zaire:

4-1140x761.jpg

I'll finish with a quote from the Herb Chambers slides about the neighboring buildings with my emphasis:

BMW/MINI was designated by the BRA in 1999 as a ‘Transition building’, between the residential properties to the east, and the commercial area to the west. It was designed to fit into the existing context of the neighborhood. This happened long before most manufacturers had image requirements.

By contrasting to BMW/Mini, which didn't have image requirements, so it could fit into the neighborhood, they are pretty much admitting that this building cannot fit into the neighborhood because now it now has fit the global, context-insensitive brand design guidelines.

.....but I go to graduate school in geography.

Between this and your 5500 posts on Skyscrapercity, we'd probably get along swimmingly in real life. (until we figured out that you're BarbaricManchurian and I'm DZH22, uhhhh ohhhhh)

I hate when they do projects like this and don't repave the parking lot.

With that said, everything else looks awesome!

BAIA MONTHLY MEETINGAGENDA:
July 12, 2018 @ 7pm
Presentations
•Police
•City of Boston Zero Waste Program
•11 Faneuil St- prefiling presentation for 54 units
Agenda Items:
•9 Glencoe St- seeks to build 9 residential units
•46 Brooksdale Rd-seeks to change occupancy from 2 to 3 family with complete renovation
•254-256 Washington St- revised proposal for six units
•384 Western Avenue-Ariana seeks outdoor seating
•95 Union St- seeks to expand & renovate single family
•38 Englewood Ave- seeks to build 8 residential units in existing building with rear extension
•204 N.Beacon Street-seeks to open marijuana dispensary

https://www.facebook.com/183598041685292/posts/1958710507507361/

Back