Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

Allston Street

img4152p.jpg

226 Harvard

img4153mz.jpg

img4154h.jpg

Even Urban Outfitters can't make that building cool. (Can they make anyone cool or just too cool?)

There's an Urban Outfitters at Legacy Place in Dedham. Time for them to drop the "urban" in the name.

(Actually, Legacy Place in Dedham has a branch of almost every retailer in Harvard Square/Brookline, including an Aquitaine restaurant with outdoor seating facing...the parking lot)

Even Urban Outfitters can't make that building cool. (Can they make anyone cool or just too cool?)

The building would be great if it didn't have the little architectural details carried over from a strip mall circa 1992. The curved window in the end "tower" along with the random brown square blocks really ruin it. Going all the way with the retro modernist approach would have worked out better.

is urban going into the first floor or the second (or both)? it looks like most of the work being done is just on the second floor. it'd be nice to have a mix of smaller retailers along this side of harvard ave--maybe break up the monotony of big box stores along the street (staples, tj maxx, etc)

Urban Outfitters will be just the second floor, similar to their store in Fanueil Hall Marketplace.

The building would be great if it didn't have the little architectural details carried over from a strip mall circa 1992. The curved window in the end "tower" along with the random brown square blocks really ruin it. Going all the way with the retro modernist approach would have worked out better.

Get rid of the little brown blocks, and set the windows back from the wall about four inches.

"Better than the gas station it replaced"

Now that is high praise for ArchBoston!

Has anyone taken a walk around back to see the entrance to the parking garage? It's like a dlack diamond ski slope, really steep with a blind curve. In the winter it's going to be hell to park in there.

Good god, it has a parking garage? Ugh.

It's only a floor or two and it's all below grade, so no need to start stressing.

Can anyone comment on the possibility of Kelly's opening up in place of the old liquor store acorss from McDonalds? (I for the life of me cannot remember the name of the old place)

Yeah, it was Marty's. As far as I can tell, it was approved and i think i hear renovations begin in January but don't quote me.

Marty's could never compete with neighboring Martingetti's.

Martingetti's has plenty of easy, ample parking.

anti-car = anti-business

^ That might be why there is a rumor floating around that Marty's might be opening next to CVS in the old CompUSA building.

Please oh please let that be true! All the liquor joints in my neck of the woods are so overpriced.

Marty's could never compete with neighboring Martingetti's.

Martingetti's has plenty of easy, ample parking.

anti-car = anti-business

Good policy can level the playing field. For example, an excise tax on each customer parking spot levied on a sliding scale based on surrounding density and walking distance to transit.

Back