Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

This is in central Brighton:

4725664833_132ec6ebf7_b.jpg

If only that parapet and entry had some character. So close and yet so far.

Lack of a (proper) parapet is probably the biggest offender in killing all these "contextual" projects' looks.

I don't fault Urban Outfitters for reselling hipster fashion. It's good business, and their inventory is pretty unique.

I was reminded of the urban outfitters discussion on the last page by this:

"Philadelphia-based retailer Urban Outfitters plans to split the facade of a new store on the Upper West Side into four distinct "storefronts": a hat store, a hardware store, a neighborhood bar and a bodega.

"The whole idea was to do this kind of ironic statement of lining the building with storefronts that would be reminiscent of independent businesses," says Ron Pompei, creative director of Pompei A.D., which designed the store, slated to open in August. "It's the story about the streets of New York as they once were.""​

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704050804575318933235710228.html?mod=rss_newyork_main

Woah, is that building behind Moogy's or something? I took the bus down Chestnut Hill Ave multiple times last week and didn't notice any new construction.

"Philadelphia-based retailer Urban Outfitters plans to split the facade of a new store on the Upper West Side into four distinct "storefronts": a hat store, a hardware store, a neighborhood bar and a bodega.

"The whole idea was to do this kind of ironic statement of lining the building with storefronts that would be reminiscent of independent businesses," says Ron Pompei, creative director of Pompei A.D., which designed the store, slated to open in August. "It's the story about the streets of New York as they once were.""​

Wow, man. That's like 2000 spoons when all you need is a knife.

Even the description of their design needs to incorporate the ironic! For chrissakes guys, give it a rest! Look cool and be done with it!

I've got to give them credit for their corporate headquarters, though. It's pretty damn cool.

This vacant red house and the lot to its right on Allston St. (in Allston!) have been replaced by four(?) or so wood-frame townhouses, which are near completion, just north of the B line.

tyZeW.jpg

You know, I walk down Glenville Ave once or twice a month, and every time I completely forget to swing by here. Next time....

Like I said:

4747022557_678ce5fac4_b.jpg

An awful lot of hardscape out front:

4747015401_ee31de9fe2_b.jpg

What's up with the security balusters? Who lives there that needs that level of protection?

Those bollards are to keep people from parking on the hardscape. Alpha Management is typically a college crowd slumlord operation. Anything they do, especially in new development, is going to be as low to no maintenance as possible.

bollards was the word I was looking for. I knew balusters was wrong. Stupid mistake.

Hardscape? Jesus, even the PJs have some scraps of lawn and landscaping.

Knowing Alpha's style of property management, I give the project a few months occupancy before it starts looking like the building it replaced.

Knowing Alpha's style of property management, I give the project a few months occupancy before it starts looking like the building it replaced.

Didnt it replace a hole?

So grass was too much to ask for? This dumpy stretch of Comm Ave needs as much greenery as it can get.

4791278741_99bc352ecb_b.jpg

And the project at 150 Chestnut Hill Ave (the background building was already there):

4791923290_eea382c40e_b.jpg

Back