Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

Allston screen test

Los Angeles production company opens $1.5m studio for film, photo
By D.C. Denison
Globe Staff / November 3, 2010

At this point, the only exterior sign on the bland, industrial building in Allston is a single sheet of paper taped to the front door. Just two words ? ?Quixote Studios?? ? are printed on the page.

The site is the home of an ambitious production facility for photography, television, feature films, and music video shoots. Quixote Studios, a Los Angeles production company, built the $1.5 million facility as its Boston satellite operation, and the cameras have been rolling even though the grand opening is still more than a week away.

The cable TV company Comcast Corp. has already been there to produce an ad featuring the Celtics? Shaquille O?Neal; Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was in yesterday for a photo shoot.

Although the facility opened its doors in August, it is still rough around the edges, with concrete floors waiting for carpeting and Sheetrock walls primed for paint.

There are two soundstages outfitted with lighting, camera dollies, and other equipment, where scenes can be shot for films, commercials, or television programs. Each has its own wardrobe/makeup rooms and temporary offices for production companies using the studio.

The scale is impressive. The largest soundstage is 60 feet by 80 feet with towering, curved white walls.

On a recent weekday afternoon, two makeup rooms were occupied by actresses primping for their photo shoots, the smaller soundstage, decorated to resemble a 1970s-era game show set, was bustling with crew members pushing bright lights around the actors.

Wardrobe stands, ladders, and dollies were haphazardly parked in the hallways. A long table outside the soundstage was loaded with food that ranged from unhealthy to sinful.

?This place is gorgeous, even though it?s still at half-mast,?? said Matt Campbell, a producer with the local production house Nesson Boston Media Inc., as he took a break from shooting an educational film. ?The newness of this equipment is really exciting.??

Quixote officials said the studio is big for Massachusetts. ?There?s hasn?t been a facility like this around here, ever,?? said Jason Nute, general manager of the facility and a 15-year veteran of the Boston film industry.

Quixote?s arrival was triggered by the rise of movies being filmed in Massachusetts since 2005, when the state instituted a 25 percent tax break for film and television projects produced here.

The incentive program, which is in place until 2023, has been credited with bringing dozens of major film productions to Massachusetts, including Ben Affleck?s ?The Town?? and the Martin Scorsese mystery film ?Shutter Island.??

Proponents of the program claim that it has pumped millions of dollars into the local economy, as productions set up shop here and patronize local businesses.

Mikel Elliott, the cofounder and chief executive of Quixote, said that ?the tax credit was definitely part of the decision?? to open the Massachusetts facility.

Elliott said that he became familiar with the local film community over the last few years, as many of his Los Angeles-based customers began shooting movies in the state.

?At first, we were going to just rent equipment here,?? he said by phone from Los Angeles, ?and then we saw the facility in Allston, and we decided to take a bigger step.??

Quixote and its photography studio subsidiary, Smashbox Studios, have five locations in Los Angeles. The Allston facility will be its first East Coast operation.

?People assumed that New York would be our next move, but it?s too expensive there and it?s a crowded market,?? Elliott said. ?We decided that there?s enough content creation going on in Massachusetts to warrant a first-class operation.??

The studio is facing an immediate challenge: the recent lull in feature film activity in Massachusetts. After a flurry of high-profile, big-budget films, the number of movies being made in Massachusetts has fallen off over the last few months. Right now, there isn?t another large movie scheduled to film here until March 2012.

?We are in the middle of a lag, but it?s because the economy is in a lag,?? said Sam Weisman, a television producer and director and chairman of the Massachusetts Sports and Entertainment Commission, which funds the Massachusetts Film Office.

?Far fewer studio movies are being made right now, period.??

Yet Elliott said the current major movie drought will not have a significant impact on Quixote?s business, because it is initially aiming at smaller targets: regional commercials and still photography.

Quixote will seek to rent equipment like lights and dollies to visiting feature film productions, he said, but it will not be dependent on these productions to survive.

And because the Massachusetts film tax rebate applies to projects over $50,000, Elliott said he expects that even relatively small productions will continue to be attracted to the state and the Quixote facility.

Quixote?s arrival, Weisman said, ?says that you can come to Massachusetts to make big movies, little movies, TV series, commercials. It says that anything can happen here.??

Link

There's a warehouse by the Home Depot in Chelsea where they film movies frequently. I don't think it's an official studio, but I wonder what the set up is in there exactly.

Actually this imediate area has been a hotspot for Hollywood. This Holton st is right behind the Shaws at Brighton Mills, future home the Charlesview Apts. In this parking lot an armored car heist scene was filmed. It was for a movie w/ Ethan Hawk, and Mark Ruffalo about two bank robbers from Southie. I forget the name, but it's actually pretty solid. The other movie filmed here was I believe Dane Cook's Employee of the Month. That was filmed in the abandoned KMart Store.

My town section of Globe:

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news...ing_study_prop.html?p1=HP_Well_YourTown_links

The city is seeking proposals from consultants for a comprehensive planning study to examine two to three development scenarios for Brighton.

The city?s redevelopment authority is particularly interested in ideas on how to best use existing parking lots and former industrial buildings, according to a release.

The impact of each scenario will be studied, and each will include recommendations for appropriate mix of uses, public realm improvements, traffic, and economic development, the release said.

The authority is seeking ?a consultant or consultant team that have demonstrated excellence in integrating the disciplines of planning and urban design, market analysis, and transportation systems to prepare and develop a Brighton Planning Study,? said the Boston Redevelopment Authority announcement.

?The Study must examine and determine the impacts of different uses including retail, housing, and light industrial, as well as office and expansion of existing business headquarters,? continued the release.

Copies of the proposal request were made available to buy for a $150 non-refundable fee from the authority?s Executive Director/Secretary Office on the 9th floor of City Hall on Monday. A copy of the RFP must be bought in order to submit a proposal, and BRA staff will be available to assist, the announcement said.

All responses to are due by Jan. 3 at 12 p.m. to Brian P. Golden, Secretary, BRA, Boston City Hall, One City Hall Square, 9th Floor, Boston, MA 02201-1007. The BRA reserves the right to reject any or all proposals, said the release

E-mail Matt Rocheleau at mjrochele@gmail.com.

Library Park
img0351sk.jpg

By gw2500 at 2010-11-14
img0350ri.jpg

By gw2500 at 2010-11-14
img0348ay.jpg

By GW2500 at 2010-11-14

This is part of that land but not being developed, I think this might get turned into housing.
img0349r.jpg

By gw2500 at 2010-11-14
img0346wn.jpg

By gw2500 at 2010-11-14
img0344k.jpg

By gw2500 at 2010-11-14
img0343y.jpg

By GW2500 at 2010-11-14
img0342d.jpg

By gw2500 at 2010-11-14

What's up with your camera? It looks over exposed and the ISO is WAAAAAY too high.

I think its a cell phone camera, which often doesn't correct very well for bright sunlight.

Thanks for the lions!! Maybe Harvard will reveal if they found what building these were from, if they found out at all. Given what I think is the age of the landfill, I don't think they are relics of the Great Boston Fire. Maybe a building torn down along Atlantic Ave for the Central Artery?

I think the land that's been grassed is designated as open space in Harvard's draft plan for Allston. IIRC, this was/is to be restored as a brook draining the Harvard land in Allston and emptying into the Charles. Apparently, such a watercourse existed up until some point in the 19th Century or early 20th.

Yea I'm not sure, I know the lense was dusty, I just used a code to put on forums. Next time I'll try to do it another way.

What's the deal with this park? It looks like some kind of Mesoamerican archaeological site. Are they planning to sacrifice maidens on top of that step pyramid?

What's the deal with this park? It looks like some kind of Mesoamerican archaeological site. Are they planning to sacrifice maidens on top of that step pyramid?

You've never seen Ghostbusters?

In regards to the pizzaa place, Stone Hearth...

Adam?s on the scene. Paul Berkeley does not fail to amuse, making clear the Allston Civic Association?s previously stated rationale regarding concern over a liquor license is not so much the problem as is a general contempt for Allston resident?s lunch and dinner choices (emphasis added).

"he said he objected to Harvard treating Allston like ?a colony of Homer Simpsons? who just want to sit around eating pizza and drinking beer. Berkeley said Allston already has too many liquor licenses and too many pizza places and that he would oppose Stone Hearth even if they didn?t want a beer and wine license."

This is beyond NIMBYism, its tyranny. If the comunity dosn't want pizzia it will go out of business, let the free market decide that NOT YOU.

But on a good note, according to the one post in the comment section for this Stone Hearth passed.

he said he objected to Harvard treating Allston like ?a colony of Homer Simpsons? who just want to sit around eating pizza and drinking beer.

Hahahahahhaha. There's a Stone Hearth in Needham; it's filled with upscale, yuppie families and their young kids.

Five-story residential building to replace Allston auto garage site
Posted by Matt Rocheleau December 15, 2010 10:15 AM
By Matt Rocheleau, Town Correspondent

A $23-million project to transform an auto repair garage site in Allston into 100 housing units has received city approval.

The redevelopment authority gave the green light to a local developer, The Mount Vernon Company, to build a five-story, 135,000 square-foot residential building that will include 101 parking spaces on the 36,000 square-foot piece of land at 9-23 Griggs St.

Griggs Street is a cross-street to Commonwealth Avenue and is the name of a stop on the MBTA's B-line, which runs along Commonwealth.

City officials said when the project is complete it "will enhance pedestrian activity" in the area "with new residential uses including the creation new open green space;" while under construction, it will create 200 jobs.

The developer recently amended initial plans calling for four fewer units and a sixth story.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news...ential_buildin.html?p1=HP_Well_YourTown_links

Are there any renderings for this? I've always hoped that site would be developed as dense residential.

that is just way to much parking IMO. It better be underground. Happy to see this development though! That garage is gross.

Last edited:
Good news, in principle. One thing I'll miss is the sweet graffiti all over that garage site. Feels like LA or somewhere in outer borough NYC.

Back