Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

And the odd thing is it entirely was caused by this plants contamination (which was from the supplier and did not cause bad drugs). And the plant will change names but not locations.

And the odd thing is it entirely was caused by this plants contamination (which was from the supplier and did not cause bad drugs). And the plant will change names but not locations.

Jobs will be lost though, from what I hear.

Sure, redundancy gets elimnated. But there was already a sizable improvment strategy being implement! Which is CEO for thousands of layoffs!

Lame this property should not turn into a closed by 7 bank.

From Universal Hub

http://www.universalhub.com/2011/you-can-bank-whats-replacing-unos-allston

You can bank on what's replacing the Uno in Allston
By adamg - 2/23/11 - 8:16 pm

Eric Gittleman reports from tonight's Allston Civic Association that TD Bank wants to turn the old Uno at Harvard and Comm. Ave. into a bank branch. Going from one form of dough to another will require approval from the city zoning board, he writes.

This guy needs a hobby. Or maybe a friend to tell him to drop it.

http://www.universalhub.com/2011/leader-allston-civic-group-says-proposed-pizza-pla

Leader of Allston civic group says proposed pizza place would screw Roxbury
By adamg - 2/23/11 - 12:53 pm
Allston Civic Association President Paul Berkeley found a new reason to oppose a proposed Stone Hearth Pizza at Barry's Corner: The beer and wine license it would use comes from a restaurant in an area of Roxbury the city has said doesn't have enough restaurants serving drinks with meals.

At a Boston Licensing Board hearing on Stone Hearth Pizza's proposal to buy the alcohol license from the owner of the defunct Mississippi's in Roxbury this morning, Berkeley noted that several years ago, the city convinced the state legislature to increase the number of liquor licenses in Boston to dole out permits in areas considered underserved, such as much of Roxbury (Sen. Dianne Wilkerson was recently sentenced to 3 1/2 years in federal prison for her role in obtaining the new licenses after accepting a bribe from a Roxbury businessman working for the FBI).

Because of that, Berkeley said it was hypocritical for city officials such as Mayor Tom Menino to support the proposed license transfer out of Roxbury and into "a community that feels like they've been saturated with liquor licenses." He said there's no need for beer and wine along Western Avenue because of the collapse of the local retail and housing market spurred by Harvard's takeover of large parts of the neighborhood. All Stone Hearth Pizza would do, he said, would be to draw in people from outside the area.

Berkeley has said he would oppose the restaurant even without a liquor license.

Representatives from the offices of both Mayor Menino and City Councilor Mark Ciommo reiterated their support for the proposal, saying it would help revitalize a desolate stretch of Western Avenue and said they have gotten numerous letters of support for the proposed restaurant from nearby residents.

The board actually approved a beer and wine license for the restaurant in November, under regulations relating to urban renewal districts. However, the board rescinded that license after Berkeley noticed the proposed location - a gas station bought and shut down by Harvard - is outside the urban-renewal zone created for the housing project across the street.

Restaurant lawyer Dennis Quilty said that faced with that, his client had no choice but to seek an available license to buy. The Mississippi's license "was one of the very few that was available for purchase," he said. The state limits the total number of licenses in Boston.

The licensing board votes tomorrow on whether to approve the sale of the license.

^ I live a hundred yards from the Presentation School, so y'all can be sure I'll share photos if there's anything worth sharing...

And here's a rendering attached to the B&T article. The recessed wing to the left is existing, while everything else you see will be new.

download.php

I'm very curious to see just how well they'll pull off the red brick Mediterranean look of the original structure.

They are actually doing a respectable job with that bridge. It's taking forever and is probably costing a kazillion dollars but it looks really nice.

yes I'm glad they're restoring it instead of replacing it with some piece of crap!

From universal hub
http://www.universalhub.com/2011/lower-allston-get-pizza-place-serves-beer-wine

Lower Allston to get pizza place that serves beer, wine
By adamg - 3/11/11 - 8:09 am
The Crimson reports the Boston Licensing Board yesterday approved Stone Hearth Pizza's plan to buy a beer and wine license for its planned outlet on Western Avenue.

The vote clears the way for the small local chain to turn a shuttered gas station owned by Harvard into a pizza place. Stone Hearth needed board approval to buy the license from a defunct Roxbury restaurant.

looks like they're finally restoring this building,I really do think it's worth it!
035-5.jpg
036-6.jpg
Never knew this was the name of this building
037-6.jpg
039-4.jpg
041-7.jpg
042-3.jpg
043-4.jpg
038-3.jpg

Me too, do we know what its going to be used for?

I knew that but thanks for the link, I was wondering what it's future use will be.

I believe that the work shown is only to stabilize the structure. Additional money would be required to convert it to a useful structure. IIRC, this is an Olmstead building (fils, not the pere).

Kind of amazing to me that the North Allston neighborhood did not seek to have Harvard pay for a full reconstruction as part of the linkage / community benefits package for the Science Complex. I believe Harvard owns land that abuts it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/preservationmass/5008485900/in/photostream/

Construction on Charlesview Complex Set to Begin
By Tara W. Merrigan and Nathalie R. Miraval, CRIMSON STAFF WRITERS

After a long and heated planning process, the real estate development non-profit The Community Builders anounced that they will commence in April the construction of a new cluster of low-income housing units that will replace the older Charlesview Apartment complex currently located near Harvard Business School, according to Community Builders Director of Development Felicia Jacques.

The new housing complex will be located a few blocks down Western Avenue on land which is currently occupied by several vacant buildings in the Brighton Mills shopping center. The housing complex will consist of 26 townhouses and a few apartment towers, Allston resident and community activist Tim McHale said.

The new location?formerly owned by Harvard?was officially given to Charlesview in 2009 in exchange for University ownership of the lot on which the current housing complex stands, in an effort to consolidate Harvard?s Allston land holdings.

The land swap?first proposed in 2003 by Charlesview?and new construction plans drew criticism from some Allston residents, who said that the project would go against the urban planning principles of mixed-income housing and create an income-segregated North Allston neighborhood.

The Community Builders will present its Western Avenue construction plans and discuss logistics with Charlesview residents and community members next Wednesday.

The Community Builders will also present sketches of what the site will look like during and after construction. According to McHale, the apartment towers will be the first to be constructed, followed by the townhouses.

The general contractor, John Moriarty & Associates, and other members of the construction team will also be present to meet Charlesview and other neighborhood residents.

The University expressed excitement about the progression of the project.

?The Charlesview development in Brighton Mills will bring new and improved housing to Charlesview residents and much-needed jobs for the men and women who build it,? University spokesperson Lauren Marshall wrote in an e-mail. ?We?ve supported this project and are pleased that it is progressing towards a groundbreaking.?

?Staff writer Tara W. Merrigan can be reached at tmerrigan@college.harvard.edu.

?Staff writer Nathalie R. Miraval can be reached at nmiraval@college.harvard.edu.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2011/3/11/community-charlesview-housing-new/?print=1

Back