Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

Pardon me, but a green roof does NOT = public green space.

If I didn't have overseas travel plans, it would be entertaining to attend just to watch the weenies squeal ... we're trying to be green, we're trying to save the planet, the planet has a fever. WAAAAH!!!

One of the more entertaining comments on this board lately.

I could really care less about how green it actually is, and I could live with it even with parking. The design is just perfect.

A good looking hunk of building. And with a social conscience too, however much the no parking thing may just be a PR gimmick. Someday though Americans are going to have to get their adult on and seriously deal with the many, many negative impacts of the automobile.

The neighbors are contradictory. They want parking spaces but they also don't want traffic impacts. The usual bullshit.

It's not a marketing ploy. He genuinely wants to attract car-free tenants.

But this utopian view of the modern American city clashed with real life in Boston neighborhoods as wary longtime Allston residents fretted that Mariscal’s project would only worsen parking and congestion in the area, as they assumed his tenants would lie and park cars on local streets.

It's ridiculous how parking and congestion is a problem only if those bad other people cause it, but existing residents are apparently scot-free. And apparently those other people are so horrible that they're going to lie about owning a car just to steal their precious parking. What the hell.

I have to note that one of the biggest objectors is a fellow who happens to rent out 7 units nearby.

Bet he's not happy about potential competition. Talk about conflict-of-interest.

The neighbors are contradictory. They want parking spaces but they also don't want traffic impacts. The usual bullshit.

It's not a marketing ploy. He genuinely wants to attract car-free tenants.

Not that I side with them, but I bet their argument would be they'd prefer no traffic impacts, but barring being able to block the development entirely, would prefer the traffic impacts not be coupled with parking impacts as well.

I have to note that one of the biggest objectors is a fellow who happens to rent out 7 units nearby.

Bet he's not happy about potential competition. Talk about conflict-of-interest.

This is not how it works ... strong neighborhoods bring in strong residents and Mr. 7 units will eventually get to raise his rents (unless he is a slumlord)

cca

Now how much will he need to value engineer the architecture so that he can support the construction of a car-less parking garage.

Still have to face the zoning board and they will probably shoot it down on something stupid like "not enough setback."

Speaking of 0.79 space/unit, I would like to point out that the Harvard/Samuels project in Barry's Corner is 0.55 space/unit and they've been pretty good at defending it against NIMBY meddling so far...

They also pointed to other projects with a lower ratio. One on A Street, Waterside Place (apparently?), a few others I can't recall at this moment.

The point building in Boylston st. will have no parking but connect to the trilogy garage. Difficult to calculate tho because it also serves as Red Sox parking, so the ratio still may be high. But if you go just by the point, its 0 spaces.

Meanwhile all the apartment buildings along comm ave have .01 per unit, and somehow life goes on...

Developer considering mixed-use project for site on Cambridge St. near Harvard Ave. in Allston

A developer is considering building residential and retail space on recently purchased property on Cambridge Street near its intersection with Harvard Avenue in Allston.

Brookline-based developer Babak Veyssi paid $1.3 million in late January to buy the half-acre parcel at 392 Cambridge St. from the Joseph M. Smith Community Health Center, state records show.
- See more at: http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news...onsidering_mixed-us.html#sthash.WVEYNsbG.dpuf

the site: https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf...=us&ei=8OJFUeC4OoLi4AOqpICgAQ&ved=0CDMQ8gEwAA

Excellent. This street needs the Boylston-in-Fenway treatment.

They ever gonna build a commuter rail stop there? I don't mean the one at New Balance.

About time. I've heard some rumor of this plan since Fall, but no specifics at all.

I doubt there will ever be a commuter rail stop at Allston Depot again. Maybe if they electrify and turn it into a near rapid transit-quality service then the stop spacing would be okay.

Back